• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Vatican Conference Promote Mary as “a Jewish, Christian and Muslim Woman” and a “Bridge” Between Roman Catholic and Islamic World

theorthodoxchurch

Malankara Nasrani
Reaction score
Website
www.theorthodoxchurch.info
The Pontifical International Marian Academy (Pontificia Academia Mariana Internationalis/ PAMI) has begun promoting Mother Mary (Holy Theotokos) as a tool of reconciliation between Roman Catholicism and the Islamic world. The Marian Academy launched a webinar dialogue series on the 18th of February, 2021, titled “Mary, a model for faith and life for Christianity and Islam” in partnership with the Grand Mosque of Rome and the Islamic Cultural Center in Italy.
The Vatican Conference Promote Mary as “a Jewish, Christian and Muslim Woman” and a “Bridge” Between Roman Catholic and Islamic World

Reaction score
Jewish? Yes, she was indeed a practicing Jewish woman. Christian? Also yes, the first Christian actually because she was the first to believe in Jesus as the Christ when Gabriel announced his coming. But Muslim? Absolutely not, as Muhammad did not exist until 600 years after the fact and she knew nothing of the Qur'an, no, but she knew the Torah and later the Gospel.

Reaction score
Do they still believe the Theotokos is the Mother of God, of Jesus Christ, our Lord? Or the mother of ghandi?

Alpo2

Elder
Reaction score
Sounds fairly weird to say that the Mother of God was a Muslim. Of course that's a Muslim view but a Christian can't say something like that so maybe something was lost in translation.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Nothing that happens in the Vatican under the current papacy surprises me anymore, but I feel increasingly bad for Traditional Catholics still trying to justify it/wait it out/avoid sedevacantism. This, and Pope Francis' plans to participate in some kind of ecumenical prayer service at a Mesopotamian pagan temple, has helped me to understand our own prohibition on praying with the heterodox.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Nothing that happens in the Vatican under the current papacy surprises me anymore, but I feel increasingly bad for Traditional Catholics still trying to justify it/wait it out/avoid sedevacantism. This, and Pope Francis' plans to participate in some kind of ecumenical prayer service at a Mesopotamian pagan temple, has helped me to understand our own prohibition on praying with the heterodox.