• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The "Wrath of Christ"

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Just wondering about how God's attributes intersect with His timelessness, incorporeality, and dispassion. Even if God as an immaterial being can't be said to "get angry" in the same sense that we do, can't Christ's human mind be said to? Or am I falling into Nestorian thinking here?

Eamonomae

Julian the Apostate
Reaction score
I welcome all correction, but as I understand it, it seems that you are going actually going too far in the opposite direction by suggesting it's Nestorian to believe that Christ couldn't get angry.

Christ's human nature means He has all of the properties of what it is to be a human, sin exempted.

He certainly did get angry during His visit to the Temple; however, his anger would be executed in such a way that it wouldn't be sinful, and wouldn't be out of His own control.

Reaction score
Christ experienced emotions in his humanity. To say otherwise is Apollinarianism. That is, that Christ had a human body but only a Divine mind.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Christ's human mind was always in full agreement with his divine mind, being in the same person. So he felt God's righteous anger as human anger. Men who are not God in essence but are deified by his energies may also feel the same kind of anger, as did the Holy Prophet Elijah.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Christ's human mind was always in full agreement with his divine mind, being in the same person. So he felt God's righteous anger as human anger. Men who are not God in essence but are deified by his energies may also feel the same kind of anger, as did the Holy Prophet Elijah.
Yeah, that makes the most sense to me. I guess I just don't understand how the passionless anger of God intersects with a human limbic system. But maybe we aren't meant to understand nuts and bolts like that.