• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The young fogey's religious origin and conversion

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
"Went on a high-school retreat, Search"

I did that too. A lot of high school students and recent graduates were on drugs. It helped them get into rehab.

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Thanks, Denise.

Search wasn't and isn't my brand of "churchmanship," Maria; Tridentine Anglo-Catholicism is, but it was therapeutic for me, and not in the sense of drug rehab, which I didn't need.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Whoa, wait a second. This shatters so many opinions I had of you. I assumed you were cradle Catholic and in your late teens/early twenties.

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
TheTrisagion said:
Whoa, wait a second. This shatters so many opinions I had of you. I assumed you were cradle Catholic and in your late teens/early twenties.
:) I'm honored that you thought I was a cradle Catholic. Tells me I'm on the right track.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The young fogey said:
TheTrisagion said:
:) I'm honored that you thought I was a cradle Catholic. Tells me I'm on the right track.
So is your avatar actually you then?

jah777

Archon
Reaction score
Why didn't you mention that you converted to Orthodoxy at one point before returning to Roman Catholicism?

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Because I originally wrote this as a comment for Rod Dreher's blog and I didn't want to be rude, plus I'd already linked to my Orthodox story in another comment. (Google cache because the host is down.)

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hi, ..

It seems like your story may be overplayed into the hands of bloggers using creativity to write stuff.  :D

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
TheTrisagion said:
The young fogey said:
TheTrisagion said:
Yes.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The young fogey said:
TheTrisagion said:
The young fogey said:
TheTrisagion said:
Yes.
I like it, very classy look.  :)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
^I wonder why so many people seem to appreciate classy look but rarely sport it themselves.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
^I wonder why so many people seem to appreciate classy look but rarely sport it themselves.
I can't speak for others, but as for myself, it is a function of my laziness.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Alpo said:
I can't speak for others, but as for myself, it is a function of my laziness.
I only sport the "classy look" when I can be totally assured that when I look in the mirror I will be unequivocally and overwhelmingly impressed beyond all measure with what I see.  Otherwise, I strive to emulate the look of my avatar, which I frequently come surprisingly close to, with little to no effort at all.  ;D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
When most people try it they end up looking like stock brokers or politicians. There are a lot of semi-obscure rules and traditions attached to many aspects of what you'd call the classy look, which makes it difficult for many. Heaven forbid that someone dares to button the bottom button on a jacket or wear a belt with a waistcoat.