Theological hot takes that can get you in trouble with your fellow brethren

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would it be sacrilegious to add Regeneron's antibodies to the antidoron instead. It was after all invented by a Greek.

melkite

Reaction score
Would it be sacrilegious to add Regeneron's antibodies to the antidoron instead. It was after all invented by a Greek.
Oh ye of little faith! If God protects the faithful from getting sick by receiving the Eucharist, kissing the chalice or relics or icons, why would he allow someone to get sick from receiving antidoron?

Alpo2

Reaction score
I mostly try to avoid taking strong stances to pretty much anything churchy. I've found that having lots of angry opinions is usually detrimental to my spiritual life. I guess this is a kind of hot take. 🤷

cossack 316

Elder
Reaction score
I always seem to argue with my orthodox brothers and sisters regarding confession. I was taught and still practice, that an adult should NOT take communion unless they had confession earlier.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh ye of little faith! If God protects the faithful from getting sick by receiving the Eucharist, kissing the chalice or relics or icons, why would he allow someone to get sick from receiving antidoron?
I don't have the need to put god to the test. That was hashed out when the devil tempted Christ to jump off the cliff. Plus, I already communioned this year.
Its not a life or death situation. I can hold off till there is a vaccine.

Saxon

Elder
Reaction score
9. I'm extremely disappointed by how Christian churches, across the west and across all denominations, passively acquiesced to being shut down and closed by governments in response to the virus. Three centuries of being an illegal underground faith with membership being punishable by torture and death in the Roman Empire, numerous totalitarian regimes seeking its annihilation, and a literal countless number of plagues and wars didn't stop Christians from meeting and making it work. But some spineless politicians and their police enforcers in the 21st century did what 2,000 years of the former couldn't do. Absolutely pathetic.

10. St. Augustine is one of the most important Orthodox saints and is indeed a Church Father.

Last edited:

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Yay, let’s go stand packed in like sardines and cough up a deadly virus all over each other.

Wandile

Archon
Reaction score
11) Hagia Sophia is a Catholic Church.

12) The Syrian Catholic, Melkite Catholic and Chaldean Catholic Churches are actually the legitimate continuations of the Antiochan and Assyrian churches in those traditions and their Orthodox and Assyrian counterparts are actually rival lines established after the historical lines declared union with Rome. Also the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is actually the real holder of the see of Kiev.

13) Regional synods, not bishops conferences, should be a more common occurrence in the Roman tradition but held only on a needs basis.

14) EOy should do away with standing synods.

15) The bishops of Rome should actually run the diocese of Rome and so should all other patriarchs run their dioceses instead of auxiliary bishops.

16) Territorial fights in Eastern Orthodoxy are killing its efforts to grow because they indicate that bishops are more concerned with authority than with evangelism and are suspicious of each other.

17) Eastern Orthodoxy is too trigger happy when it comes to excommunication and schism while the Catholic Church is too lenient and slow to rightly excommunicate certain people and bodies.

18) The internal state of EOy and the schisms there in is not normal, no matter how much people try to make sound like it is, and this leads to the fact that EOy can’t effectively hold a council that binds everyone. It needs to be sorted out even if only for their own sakes.

19) I don’t think the pope should attend ecumenical councils but rather should just send legates and approve the acts afterwards.

20) “Orthodox” England is nonsense and no more real than kids fairytales.

21) A synod cannot depose it’s patriarch. Only a higher authority can.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
6) Wandile has a fixation/obsession with Orthodoxy. It troubles his conscience and makes him doubt. This is why he must go trolling at times, which he does on Orthodox Twitter as well. He's trying to reassure himself that all is well with the papal system, but his confidence is shaken.

7) Wandile will become Orthodox. ☦ :cool:

8) I actually happen to like Wandile and pray often for his conversion.

Wandile

Archon
Reaction score
6) Wandile has a fixation/obsession with Orthodoxy. It troubles his conscience and makes him doubt. This is why he must go trolling at times, which he does on Orthodox Twitter as well. He's trying to reassure himself that all is well with the papal system, but his confidence is shaken.
I hardly argue on Orthodox twitter as I think it’s a sad state of affairs and poor representation of EOy to be honest. Many times the guys there do a serious disservice to your communion. I hate the “cope” and “dunked” culture of Catholic and Orthodox twitter respectively. I’ve actually dialed back on religious twitter for the most part besides the odd comment here and there

7) Wandile will become Orthodox. ☦ :cool:
That will never happen. EOy to me, in all honesty, is something akin to high liturgical Protestantism with valid sacraments. Kind of like what Anglicanism were before they invalidated their orders or the Old Catholic before they did the same thing.

I have no doubts about Rome but I do desire the east and west to unite.

8) I actually happen to like Wandile and pray often for his conversion.
I like you too and appreciate the sentiment but that’s never going to happen as my salvation depends on it not happening. Rather pray for my struggles against sin.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
I hardly argue on Orthodox twitter as I think it’s a sad state of affairs and poor representation of EOy to be honest. Many times the guys there do a serious disservice to your communion. I hate the “cope” and “dunked” culture of Catholic and Orthodox twitter respectively. I’ve actually dialed back on religious twitter for the most part besides the odd comment here and there

That will never happen. EOy to me, in all honesty, is something akin to high liturgical Protestantism with valid sacraments. I have no doubts about Rome but I do desire the east and west to unite.

I like you too and appreciate the sentiment but that’s never going to happen as my salvation depends on it not happening. Rather pray for my struggles against sin.
Fair enough. Although I'm sorry to hear that, I respect your convictions. And I'm sorry I've been unreasonably harsh at times. God bless.

sestir

Elder
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
6. Christianity will probably be almost extinct within the next 100 years.
This is an important point.
Where I live, laws say a majority may not discriminate or incite against a minority, but is says nothing about minorities inciting or discriminating about majorities, so that is actually more or less allowed. So every group try to make themselves out as minorities. Only majorities can successfully push the idea that they are minorities. Minorities often get recognized as majorities and cannot challenge that perception because they are too few. So when in Sweden ca 60% self-identify as Christians but only 36% believe in God, a huge share of the 60% know full well that they are something else than Christians, and they want us to take the blame for what they accomplish. So, we have lots of people who variously identify as Christian (if it counts), Atheist (when they need to be accepted in a group) and perhaps Muslim in some settings.

For instance, a truck driver whom I introduced to a run/task, told me he was Atheist and didn't like religion because of how it led to war and unnecessary conflicts, such as between Christians and Muslims. I replied that Shiites seemed to get along well with Christians, whereupon he got extremely worked up, claiming that Shia Islam wasn't real Islam. So, turns out he was a Sunni Atheist.

In other words, people aren't what they claim to be, and so long as Christians keep pretending that statistics matter on this point, refer to countries as "Christian countries" when they clearly aren't or keep assuming that churches, as organizations, would be pro-christian, Christianity will keep declining. Because we will be perceived as a threat rather than an asset, and get the blame for everything which infidels do.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Here: Christianity can never decline or go extinct. It never grows or shrinks. It’s just that few people have ever really found it to begin with.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I do not know what Vagantes and Old Calendarists in the East have done in response to COVID measures as opposed to the mainline Orthodox Churches? In the west, Traditionalists normally have a pretty bad name for their level of independence from the mainstream. However, this current COVID situation has brought some pretty troubling church government practices into sharp contrast with how the more independent organizations are handling this situation. I am not advocating for any of those group's positions on the church per se, but the mainstream of east and west have both taken some pretty sharp blows from their own congregations for following the herd on the COVID restrictions, particularly in how they were administered over against the normal worship life of their respective Churches.

The state of the church in the public's eyes is worse than it was 20 years ago and certainly has grown much worse in the last 10. I fear a true and all out assault on the churches is certainly much closer than at any time in my life. The capitulation of church leaders to government's mandates has certainly not helped during this time and is quite troubling.
Polish Orthodox Church in most (but yes, not all) has been opposing the goverment restrictions. And we don't rather have problem with covid inside the society. The unique parish that has some notable (and, geenrally, faithful) people with covid is the one of few that put limits up to 5 for the Holy Week and Pascha and defended masks. Not kidding.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
I suppose that makes Roman Catholicism whatever Joel Osteen is.
"Essentially, Protestantism is nothing other than a generally applied papism. For in Protestantism, the fundamental principle of papism is brought to life by each man individually. After the example of the infallible man in Rome, each Protestant is a cloned infallible man, because he pretends to personal infallibility in matters of faith. It can be said: Protestantism is a vulgarized papism, only stripped of mystery (i.e., sacramentality), authority and power."

-St. Justin Popovich

Wandile

Archon
Reaction score
"Essentially, Protestantism is nothing other than a generally applied papism. For in Protestantism, the fundamental principle of papism is brought to life by each man individually. After the example of the infallible man in Rome, each Protestant is a cloned infallible man, because he pretends to personal infallibility in matters of faith. It can be said: Protestantism is a vulgarized papism, only stripped of mystery (i.e., sacramentality), authority and power."

-St. Justin Popovich
Didn’t Martin Luther say something nearly identical to this about the Protestant movement he started?

Wandile

Archon
Reaction score
I don't get the joke. Why would Luther criticize his own movement?
It’s not a joke. Luther tended to criticize the effects of his movement often. I remember, years back, reading a quote of Luther saying something to this effect as a criticism of the unwanted effects that Sola Scriptura had which he lamented. Something tot the effect of “I wanted to liberate the people from the pope, but now instead every man is his own pope”

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's good he recognized his error.

noahzarc1

High Elder
Reaction score
Orthodox think Catholics are a form of Protestantism. Catholics think Orthodox are a form of Protestantism. Protestants think they are the Church.

In reality, Orthodox are Orthodox. Catholics are Catholics. Protestants, as passionate as they may be, are Protestants.