• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Theological hot takes that can get you in trouble with your fellow brethren

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
If we’re still doing this thread, I’ll repeat what what I said in a previous post that I still think is even more true now:

“Theological Hot Take that seems to be unpopular: The Greek Archdiocese, and the entirety of the Patriarchate of Constantinople is on its way to full blown apostasy from Orthodoxy. No one seems to want to face this ever-growing fact.”

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
If we’re still doing this thread, I’ll repeat what what I said in a previous post that I still think is even more true now:

“Theological Hot Take that seems to be unpopular: The Greek Archdiocese, and the entirety of the Patriarchate of Constantinople is on its way to full blown apostasy from Orthodoxy. No one seems to want to face this ever-growing fact.”
Is it just the current Patriarchate or has it been a trend for a while now with them?

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
"May his/her/their memory be eternal" seems more appropriate for an pet or a poor mouse who got the wrong bottle to fall into.

Almost_Orthodox

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
Faith
Ukrainian Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Philadelphia
QUOTE="LukeDM,
Okay, this thread is fun. I have a few here. I'm not willing to fall on the sword for any of these, but I find myself thinking them nonetheless.

1. Apocatastasis in a nuanced form, such as that expressed by St. Gregory of Nyssa or St. Isaac the Syrian, is not a heresy. It may not be dogmatically true, but nevertheless not heretical.

Mention Apocatastasis to most Christians and their head explodes. Mention David Bentley Hart to most Orthodox and the explosion is nuclear.

2. Orthodoxy is too quick to canonize political figures.

Such as Emperor Justinian?

3. The tragic fall of traditionally Orthodox empires can be viewed as a blessing insofar as it forced the Church learn how to govern herself and to break the unhealthy attachment between the empire and the Church. I still believe that Christianity thrives the most as a persecuted group of believers, and the relationship between the emperor and the Church was toxic. Not unredeemable, but not ideal either.

Some Christians feel that the melding of empire and Church was the worst thing that could have happened to the Church. As we see with Evangelicalism in America, Christianity can morph into the handmaiden of the state (some might less charitably say "the whore") rather than being the Bride of Christ.

4. The EP is in its death throes and may be willing to do damage to the Church to ensure its survival.

I hope not. Where are all the Protestants, Catholics, and Byzantines going to go when they see their errors?

Ariend

Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.assemblyofbishops.org
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese of North America
4. The EP is in its death throes and may be willing to do damage to the Church to ensure its survival.

I hope not. Where are all the Protestants, Catholics, and Byzantines going to go when they see their errors?
Where would they go if the EP left the Church? They'd go to the Orthodox Catholic Church.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
QUOTE="LukeDM,

I know it's not your point Almost_Orthodox, but, I thought I would comment on LukeDM's #4 point.

I tend to view the current situation with the Ecumenical Patriarchate as Rome in the early Middle Ages when it was sacked. The Bishop of Rome was essentially the last remaining cultural institution, so, they used forgeries and consolidated power in the Bishop of Rome.

Constantinople is doing some of the same things, just several centuries after their sacking, and with a much more minuscule flock.

melkite

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
1. Apocatastasis in a nuanced form, such as that expressed by St. Gregory of Nyssa or St. Isaac the Syrian, is not a heresy. It may not be dogmatically true, but nevertheless not heretical.
I'm interested to learn more about this. What are their nuances, and how does it make their views differ from straight-up apocatastasis?

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
What the heck, I'm not winning any popularity contests around here anyway 😂:cool::

1) Mask mandates during worship, along with bans on kissing the icons, the chalice, and/or the priest's hand are an abomination and a sacrilege.
I would even go so far as to argue that bishops who go along with all these restrictions have bent the knee to Nero and should be deposed.
(Is that take spicy enough for you?) :D