• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

There are 70% of Catholics in Russia, not Orthodox as it's commonly thought

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
69% of Russians believe in  filioque  and other interesting statistics.
http://lodka.sreda.org/issledovanie-sredy-raz-dva-tri/

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score

Dear Svartzorn, you know that the forum rules forbid putting links without naming or any description. Please, remember about it the next time. I have changed the link into the picture it was directing to.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
well..it's a surprise, but I highly doubt 69% Russians would also say the Pope of Rome is infallible or the supreme head of the Church. So Catholics is pushing it...maybe Eastern-Rite Old-Catholics?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Or maybe people who are neither experts in Trinitariology, nor familiar enough with Roman Catholicism to have been exposed to the Filioque question as an example of difference between this religion and theirs without being experts in Trinitariology? :p

These 69% probably thought: The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father; both the Father and the Son are God; therefore, the Holy Spirit proceeds from both.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
RaphaCam said:
Or maybe people who are neither experts in Trinitariology, nor familiar enough with Roman Catholicism to have been exposed to the Filioque question as an example of difference between this religion and theirs without being experts in Trinitariology? :p

These 69% probably thought: The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father; both the Father and the Son are God; therefore, the Holy Spirit proceeds from both.
You're being unreasonably generous.  Remember, these are Russians.

Reaction score
Sad, is there much catechisis for those coming into the Russian Church after the end of Communism? There some key doctrinal differences between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
From personal experience, I'm not sure many Catholics even understand why they believe in the Filioque. That being said, I'd be interested in seeing how this study was carried out.

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Sam G said:
From personal experience, I'm not sure many Catholics even understand why they believe in the Filioque. That being said, I'd be interested in seeing how this study was carried out.
In my experience, I doubt a majority, Catholic or Orthodox, have ever given the question a moment's thought. Some may know what "their side" professes, but it's not likely to be more than that. It's been a learning experience over the years about how few Christians I've known could tell you much of anything specific about what their Church or denomination believes.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Sam G said:
Even odder, nearly all Protestants would be hard pressed to explain why they hold to the filioque-even those who don't hold to the Nicene Creed.