This Iconographer Is Pretty Cool

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
http://galleryzograf.deviantart.com 

So, I think this lady's style is the best I've ever seen.  By her description, her work seems legitimate.  Man, I want one of these.  What do you guys think?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I don't care for them.  I don't care for the darker paints she uses.

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
Well, a lot of it is gold leaf, so it could just be the lighting.  However, I enjoy the darker paint a lot, as well as the "rougher" style and painting surfaces.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Didyma said:
http://galleryzograf.deviantart.com  

So, I think this lady's style is the best I've ever seen.  By her description, her work seems legitimate.  Man, I want one of these.  What do you guys think?
Her painterly skill needs a lot of improvement. A lot of it is crude, rough and almost cartoonish, like these:

If an iconographer is to go for "simple" or "naive", he or she needs to be a draftsman and painter of great skill.

Of even greater concern is the large number of images which simply don't pass muster as proper Orthodox icons, such as the various Holy Family paintings, imagery from RC art such as Christ with the sacred heart, and this one of "Mary and Jesus" (it's not the only one, BTW):

Where is the halo on the Christ-child? Where is the inscription IC-XC? Why is the child shown as an ordinary baby, and not as the all-knowing Son of God? I'm afraid this is nothing more than a sentimental religious painting, not an Orthodox icon worthy of veneration.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Very poor work.  She needs some training under an icon master to teach her real iconography & also the theology of iconography.
Too much of her own artistic interpretation.
Also she writes: "Most of my icons are copies of originals created 14-18 century.."  and yet she has a pictures of "Joseph & baby Jesus (sic)"  & "The Holy Family" which are Roman Catholic artistic themes NOT found in any iconographer's manual. 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The poor Theotokos! She looks so old. It's like Sarah. ;)

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
The poor Theotokos! She looks so old. It's like Sarah. ;)
Yes, I can see why the site is hosted by "deviant art".

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Orest said:
Yes, I can see why the site is hosted by "deviant art".
The shame is that the artist is clearly calling her work "icons". She's not doing Orthodoxy any favors by doing so.  :( :p

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
Yeah, I did notice that she did a painting of God the Father, which I thought was sketchy.  Also, putting icons on bowls and stuff, presumably to be eaten from.  However, I disagree about her painterly skills needing work.  Yeah, a few of the faces aren't the best, but I think she pulls off the look while still maintaining beauty.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Those eyes are right out of a nightmare.  :eek:

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
Bah, humbug.  I've seen way worse eyes than that. 

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Didyma said:
Yeah, I did notice that she did a painting of God the Father, which I thought was sketchy.  Also, putting icons on bowls and stuff, presumably to be eaten from.  However, I disagree about her painterly skills needing work.  Yeah, a few of the faces aren't the best, but I think she pulls off the look while still maintaining beauty.
Not only is her sense of proportion and painterly skill greatly lacking, but these paintings largely lack any spiritual quality. One of her great failings is the look in the eyes of whom she paints. It is simply wrong. Both in conventional portraiture (painting and drawing), and caricature, as well as iconography, getting the eyes right is of supreme importance. If the eyes aren't right, the whole painting fails, no matter how well the rest of it is executed.

I have many icons in my archive painted in simple, rustic styles, sometimes using no more than three or four basic colors, yet their spiritual power is equal to the works of master iconographers. This woman's work doesn't even come close. The oversized eyes, the deer-in-the-headlights look, the overall garishness and sloppiness of much of her work, all have the look and feel of a hobby painter, and not a very good one at that.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Didyma said:
kelly said:
Didyma said:
Bah, humbug.  I've seen way worse eyes than that.  
Bah, humbug?
Why not?
Well you're suggesting I'm just being a Scrooge. I'm not. They really are that bad.

My dear St. Catherine looks like Tyrion Lannister:

http://galleryzograf.deviantart.com/art/Saint-Ekaterina-426451533

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
I guess the eyes could use some life.  And the Unmercenary's hands are a bit too big.

Didyma

Elder
Reaction score
kelly said:
Didyma said:
kelly said:
Didyma said:
Bah, humbug.  I've seen way worse eyes than that.  
Bah, humbug?
Why not?
Well you're suggesting I'm just being a Scrooge. I'm not. They really are that bad.

My dear St. Catherine looks like Tyrion Lannister:

http://galleryzograf.deviantart.com/art/Saint-Ekaterina-426451533
*snorts*  Well, I dunno about that, but the comparison is hilarious.  You know, there's probably a schlock icon of him.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Take a good look at the proportions of the face and head in this one:

Even taking into account the customary abstraction of icons, the proportions of this Christ's face are all over the place. The whole thing looks unbalanced, awkward, even disturbing - the antithesis of peace, order, harmony and stillness which icons strive to be.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:

Even taking into account the customary abstraction of icons, the proportions of this Christ's face are all over the place. The whole thing looks unbalanced, awkward, even disturbing - the antithesis of peace, order, harmony and stillness which icons strive to be.
Sausage finger Jesus. Oy.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
kelly said:
LBK said:

Sausage finger Jesus. Oy.
:eek: :laugh:

What would you call his left hand which is holding his shepherd's crook?