• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

This is a thread for football (soccer)

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
I want to know people's favorite teams, leagues, players, etc. then we can talk about and bicker over it.  :police:

My Favorite Club Teams:
Rosenborg BK, Manchester United, FC København, Los Angeles Galaxy, Celtic FC, Sydney FC, Halmstad BK, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Real Madrid

My Favorite National Teams:
Norway, Denmark, Sweden, USA, England, Scotland

Favorite Players:
Wayne Rooney, Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ragnar Sigurðsson, Landon Donovan, Mathias Jørgensen, Mikael Dorsin, Daniel Örlund, Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher, David Beckham, Harry Kewell
 

montalo

Archon
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
2,011
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
28
first and foremost, i support l'Olympique de Marseille

In England, i cheer for Chelsea F.C.

national teams

Team Canada(by default), Team Scotland, Team France

also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p
 

trifon

Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgrade/London/Sofia
Grew up supporting Wisła Kraków, and its always my first team.  I am also a keen supporter of Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Red Star Belgrde), though I have a sneaking admiration for OFK Beograd (its the oldest team in the Serbian Superliga).  I also support Slavia Sofia.  I'm in London now, and while I like watching the quality of the Premiership, or even the Championship, can't say that I have a team so far, though my local pubs show mostly Chelsea matches...might develop an affinity for them ;D

In terms of national teams, I support Poland, Serbia, and Bulgaria

 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,404
Reaction score
119
Points
63
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Favorites:

Clubs- Manchester United, Palermo, Cork City

National- United States, England

Players- Casey Keller, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney


 

montalo

Archon
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
2,011
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
28
trifon said:
Grew up supporting Wisła Kraków, and its always my first team.  I am also a keen supporter of Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Red Star Belgrde), though I have a sneaking admiration for OFK Beograd (its the oldest team in the Serbian Superliga).  I also support Slavia Sofia.  I'm in London now, and while I like watching the quality of the Premiership, or even the Championship, can't say that I have a team so far, though my local pubs show mostly Chelsea matches...might develop an affinity for them ;D

In terms of national teams, I support Poland, Serbia, and Bulgaria
aye, always a good choice
 

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Roanoke, VA
biro said:
Favorites:

Clubs- Manchester United, Palermo, Cork City

National- United States, England

Players- Casey Keller, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney
We just became best friends. :D

In Christ,
Andrew
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
celticfan1888 said:
I want to know people's favorite teams, leagues, players, etc. then we can talk about and bicker over it.  :police:

My Favorite Club Teams:
Rosenborg BK, Manchester United, FC København, Los Angeles Galaxy, Celtic FC, Sydney FC, Halmstad BK, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Real Madrid

My Favorite National Teams:
Norway, Denmark, Sweden, USA, England, Scotland

Favorite Players:
Wayne Rooney, Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ragnar Sigurðsson, Landon Donovan, Mathias Jørgensen, Mikael Dorsin, Daniel Örlund, Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher, David Beckham, Harry Kewell
I think you might misunderstand the meaning of favorite.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,404
Reaction score
119
Points
63
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
Happy 25 years, Sir Alex! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9630954.stm

;D
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
My Favorite Club Teams:
Leeds United FC, FC Edmonton, Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)

My Favorite National Teams:
Canada, England, Ukraine.
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
montalo said:
also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p
I call it football, but a majority of the members of this site are american and when they think of football they think of hand-egg.
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
biro said:
Happy 25 years, Sir Alex! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9630954.stm

;D
Indeed!

John of the North said:
My Favorite Club Teams:
Leeds United FC, FC Edmonton, Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)

My Favorite National Teams:
Canada, England, Ukraine.
I have a feeling I know where you live. ;)
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
celticfan1888 said:
montalo said:
also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p
I call it football, but a majority of the members of this site are american and when they think of football they think of hand-egg.
Soccer is a British term and proper usage in all variants in English.
 

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Cognomen said:
John of the North said:
(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)
Hurray!  I knew I liked you.
Unless, of course, you're considering switching your allegiance to SWFC. 

;)
The good things about supporting a, ermm, out of prime club, are that ticket prices are much more affordable, most of the plastic fans have long since abandoned, and you don't have to worry too much about foreign mercenaries and their sole loyalty being to the almighty £ (we actually have hard working, mainly British/Irish players on our squads; imagine that!).  The internet helps make up for some of the lack of coverage over here though.  Most of the Premiership clubs do nothing for me.

When I'm in London, I tend to go to Millwall and Fulham matches, and I have nothing against Charlton Athletic or Brentford.  I used to like West Ham (and still love Upton Park), but I've soured on them since the whole Tevez affair (yes, kind of sad at this point to still be holding grudges).  In Belgium, I've supported Anderlecht as well.
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
celticfan1888 said:
biro said:
Happy 25 years, Sir Alex! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9630954.stm

;D
Indeed!

John of the North said:
My Favorite Club Teams:
Leeds United FC, FC Edmonton, Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)

My Favorite National Teams:
Canada, England, Ukraine.
I have a feeling I know where you live. ;)
That obvious, eh??

Cognomen said:
Cognomen said:
John of the North said:
(I have to admit, I haven't been feeling the  love for Leeds this season. I am considering committing the ultimate treason for any football fan and switching my allegiance to a lower league team.)
Hurray!  I knew I liked you.
Unless, of course, you're considering switching your allegiance to SWFC.
Hardly! :p If I were to switch, the only clubs in Yorkshire that I would consider would probably be York City FC or Leeds City FC--though on a superficial basis, I'm not a huge of the Leeds City logo. I've had success with Worcester City and Gloucester City on FM2011--I have ancestral ties to Worcestershire so I am leaning towards them. Haven't decided yet, may see how this season ends for Leeds, perhaps I can get some of the fire back.

The good things about supporting a, ermm, out of prime club, are that ticket prices are much more affordable, most of the plastic fans have long since abandoned, and you don't have to worry too much about foreign mercenaries and their sole loyalty being to the almighty £ (we actually have hard working, mainly British/Irish players on our squads; imagine that!).  The internet helps make up for some of the lack of coverage over here though.  Most of the Premiership clubs do nothing for me.
All good points...from a Sheffield fan no less!
 

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
John of the North said:
All good points...from a Sheffield fan no less!
Precisely, both Yorkshire (although my direct connection is with Derbyshire) and League One.  Actually, our most recent Premiership experience (2006-2007) was, in many ways, really annoying.  Rather than realizing that we're no longer one of the elite clubs in the country, tons of new fans headed our way and gained some odd sense of entitlement.  In turn, when we failed, a vocal minority of the supporters got really nasty and disillusioned.  It can be tremendously frustrating, selling all of our decent players, e.g. Kyle Walker, Phil Jagielka, etc. (England Intl's for those unaware), but that's the way it's played.

At least most of Barcelona's team is Spanish (and Catalonian to boot).  This Man City stuff disgusts me, but it's not much worse than what many of the other big 4 do. 
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
montalo said:
also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p
I call it football, but a majority of the members of this site are american and when they think of football they think of hand-egg.
Soccer is a British term and proper usage in all variants in English.
Then how come in Britain they call it football? Hmmm

I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
celticfan1888 said:
orthonorm said:
celticfan1888 said:
montalo said:
also, anyone who puts (soccer) like that is parentheses is a bloody fool, and perpetuates ingnorance :p
I call it football, but a majority of the members of this site are american and when they think of football they think of hand-egg.
Soccer is a British term and proper usage in all variants in English.
Then how come in Britain they call it football? Hmmm

I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
It's called soccer in parts of South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, too.  It's called language development.  I'm convinced the Brits started calling it football again because they wanted to distance themselves from their former colonies.  

If you're a second-generation American monoglot of European ancestry whose family did not call it "football" during your formative years and you call it "football," or look upon "soccer" as some second-rate term, you're a pretentious blowhard.  Period.

Favorite teams:
Leeds United.  Arsenal.  Barcelona.  DC United.

Favorite national teams:  US.  The Netherlands.  Germany.  Spain.

Favorite players:  Messi.  Silva.  Ribery.  Van Persie.  Arshavin.  Luciano Becchio.  Dwayne De Rosario.  Ethan White.
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
celticfan1888 said:
I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
John of the North said:
celticfan1888 said:
I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.
Were this facebook, I'd be hitting the "like" button.

Speaking of which, did you catch any of the game on Sunday?  Sounds like we finally have a decent keeper.
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
John of the North said:
celticfan1888 said:
I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.
Yes, appropriate. You use mainly your feet in association football. In American football, rugby, gaelic, and even aussie rules you carry the ball. Yes you pass mostly with kicks in aussie rules but you still carry the ball mostly in your hands. American Football should just be called hand-egg IMHO.

Calling Hand-Egg, Football is both misleading and confusing.
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
celticfan1888 said:
John of the North said:
celticfan1888 said:
I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.
Yes, appropriate. You use mainly your feet in association football. In American football, rugby, gaelic, and even aussie rules you carry the ball. Yes you pass mostly with kicks in aussie rules but you still carry the ball mostly in your hands. American Football should just be called hand-egg IMHO.

Calling Hand-Egg, Football is both misleading and confusing.
Extra time should just be called "Fergie Time," then. 

It's less confusing.
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Alberta, Canada
celticfan1888 said:
John of the North said:
celticfan1888 said:
I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.
Yes, appropriate. You use mainly your feet in association football. In American football, rugby, gaelic, and even aussie rules you carry the ball. Yes you pass mostly with kicks in aussie rules but you still carry the ball mostly in your hands. American Football should just be called hand-egg IMHO.

Calling Hand-Egg, Football is both misleading and confusing.
No, not appropriate. Football is a family of sports that all have their origins in the same place. Soccer is one code out of many in that family. While your hand-egg argument is well-taken (I have this photo on my Facebook: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/18431_282939948050_506788050_3375060_2522724_n.jpg ) it doesn't change the fact that American football *is* historically a code of football. The fact that it's development has taken it away from certain aspects of football doesn't change that.

Schultz said:
celticfan1888 said:
John of the North said:
celticfan1888 said:
I know the term came from Britain, but football is the most appropriate usage.
Most common maybe, not necessarily the most appropriate. "Football" could refer to several different codes, all of which have their origins in the same informal games played centuries ago--American and Canadian football in North America, the association football (aka soccer) of this thread, rugby union and rugby league, Aussie rules football, Gaelic football etc. While I personally prefer to call soccer football, surely calling it soccer would at least be less confusing.
Yes, appropriate. You use mainly your feet in association football. In American football, rugby, gaelic, and even aussie rules you carry the ball. Yes you pass mostly with kicks in aussie rules but you still carry the ball mostly in your hands. American Football should just be called hand-egg IMHO.

Calling Hand-Egg, Football is both misleading and confusing.
Extra time should just be called "Fergie Time," then. 

It's less confusing.
WIN.
 

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
7,990
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Location
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
You leave Fergie time alone.

Teams:

England: Manchester United (my favorite team in any sport period)
Germany: Hoffenheim
Italy: Roma
Spain: none...the whole league should fall into the sea
MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense): DC United

Players:
Beckham (love watching that ball bend)
Vinnie Jones (dosen't play anymore, also a guilty pleasure watching him hurt folks)
Berbatov (just a great human being)
Ryan Giggs
Vedad Ibisevic
Pato
C. Ronaldo (I cant help it, traitor or no, the boy is bad to the bone)

PP
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
primuspilus said:
MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense)
Hey watch it, as I am going on trial with a MLS club in January, you might not want to start with a future MLS player.

I know MLS isn't near the calibur of the top leagues of Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany, etc. It is a pretty good league, and much better than it gets credit for. I think most MLS clubs would hold there on in the Football League Championship, and maybe even survive near the bottom of the table of the Premier League. So give credit where credit is due, it is not a micky mouse league in any sense. It is quality.
 

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Joined
May 27, 2011
Messages
7,990
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
41
Location
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
celticfan1888 said:
primuspilus said:
MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense)
Hey watch it, as I am going on trial with a MLS club in January, you might not want to start with a future MLS player.

I know MLS isn't near the calibur of the top leagues of Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany, etc. It is a pretty good league, and much better than it gets credit for. I think most MLS clubs would hold there on in the Football League Championship, and maybe even survive near the bottom of the table of the Premier League. So give credit where credit is due, it is not a micky mouse league in any sense. It is quality.
No no no. Lemme explain. Im a huge fan of relegation/promotion and MLS does not do that. I fully agree as to why the MLS does not, but that does not mean I have to like it.

That is all I mean. Granted, the quality can not compare to Spain, Brazil, or England, but quality makes not a league. Sorry if that was a pot shot at the MLS, it most certianly is not.

Good luck with your trial. I hope you make it :)

PP
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
celticfan1888 said:
primuspilus said:
MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense)
Hey watch it, as I am going on trial with a MLS club in January, you might not want to start with a future MLS player.

I know MLS isn't near the calibur of the top leagues of Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany, etc. It is a pretty good league, and much better than it gets credit for. I think most MLS clubs would hold there on in the Football League Championship, and maybe even survive near the bottom of the table of the Premier League. So give credit where credit is due, it is not a micky mouse league in any sense. It is quality.
Wow, we can totally agree on something.

Good luck in your trial, too.
 

celticfan1888

Archon
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
3,026
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Louisiana
primuspilus said:
celticfan1888 said:
primuspilus said:
MLS (if you want to consider it a league in the proper sense)
Hey watch it, as I am going on trial with a MLS club in January, you might not want to start with a future MLS player.

I know MLS isn't near the calibur of the top leagues of Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany, etc. It is a pretty good league, and much better than it gets credit for. I think most MLS clubs would hold there on in the Football League Championship, and maybe even survive near the bottom of the table of the Premier League. So give credit where credit is due, it is not a micky mouse league in any sense. It is quality.
No no no. Lemme explain. Im a huge fan of relegation/promotion and MLS does not do that. I fully agree as to why the MLS does not, but that does not mean I have to like it.

That is all I mean. Granted, the quality can not compare to Spain, Brazil, or England, but quality makes not a league. Sorry if that was a pot shot at the MLS, it most certianly is not.

Good luck with your trial. I hope you make it :)

PP
Oh, I get you. ;)

Yeah, I wish the league did have some sort of promotion/relegation with the USL, that would be cool, but I guess it is much too soon for that.

And thank you.  :D
 

peterfarrington

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 28, 2003
Messages
3,524
Reaction score
47
Points
48
Age
57
Location
Maidstone, Kent, England
Website
www.stgeorgeministry.com
I go to most England home games at Wembley and it is rarely exciting. Within 5 minutes it is usually clear how England will be playing.

But we keep going back, and it is always moving to be singing the National Anthem, a prayer after all, with 75,000 others.
 

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 14, 2010
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Father Peter said:
But we keep going back, and it is always moving to be singing the National Anthem, a prayer after all, with 75,000 others.
Too bad many of the players on the squad, including Rooney, aren't singing along.  I loved the teams of the 90s and early 2000s but find the current selection, with some major exceptions, to be a bunch of uninspired, spoiled prima donnas (not literally, Orthonorm  :))  I hope Capello or his successor can re-instill some pride, passion, and glory to the Three Lions. 
 
Top