Status
Not open for further replies.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Came across an interesting article  "Yes, Impostor Syndrome Is Real. Here's How to Deal With It"

https://time.com/5312483/how-to-deal-with-impostor-syndrome/

It talks about fears of being exposed as a frauds  wide spread (70%) among high achievers. They say it is a psychiatric condition which needs to be medically treated.

There is a paper  on that in International Journal of Behavioral Science

The Impostor Phenomenon

The Impostor Phenomenon was identified from clinical observations during
therapeutic  sessions  with  high  achieving  women  by  Dr  Pauline  Clance. 
Despite  objective  evidence  of  success,  these  women  had  a  pervasive 
psychological  experience  believing  that they  were  intellectual  frauds  and 
feared  being  recognised  as  impostors.    They  suffered  from  anxiety,  fear  of 
failure  and  dissatisfaction  with  life.    This  article  reviews  definitions  and 
characteristics  of  trait  Impostorism,  some  antecedents,  such  as  personality 
and  family  achievement  environment  and  psychological  distress  as  a 
consequence of Impostorism. 
https://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/IJBS/article/view/521/pdf

Another article

Imposter Syndrome Hits Harder When You're Black

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/imposter-syndrome-racism-discrimination_l_5d9f2c00e4b06ddfc514ec5c

However I think that what they call Impostor Syndrome is in reality conscience.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
From this I can safely conclude that you don't have very many high-achieving friends that you talk to intimately, because if you did: 1) you'd already be familiar with the phenomenon, and 2) you'd know that it wasn't just the conscience of eating away at them for something awful they did. In essence: go get some real world contact/experience, then we can talk.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Yeah, all Psychiatry does is diagnose the "problem" of death.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
From this I can safely conclude that you don't have very many high-achieving friends that you talk to intimately, because if you did: 1) you'd already be familiar with the phenomenon, and 2) you'd know that it wasn't just the conscience of eating away at them for something awful they did. In essence: go get some real world contact/experience, then we can talk.
It is unfair. If you have the valuable experience of talking to these wonderful people you should share it n this thread.

Also could you please explain why I don't have this syndrome myself. I have a PHD from Brown with almost perfect GPA (one B, the rest As). Perhaps it could pass as an achievement.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Simkins said:
Also could you please explain why I don't have this syndrome myself. I have a PHD from Brown with almost perfect GPA (one B, the rest As). Perhaps it could pass as an achievement.
Narcissism

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
Simkins said:
Narcissism
Narcissism is when you look into your reflection in a pond eventually becoming a flower. This is not what I am busy with.

At one point my gas heater stopped working. I reasoned that since I have an Ivy League PhD I should be able to fix it myself. I spent a day for it. It turned out that the thing which as I learned was called thermopile (it is just a pile of thermocuples connected in series) got bad  - did not produce enough voltage. I ordered a new thermopile and meanwhile replaced it with an AA battery. This way the burner did work ( though without this safety feature) while I was waiting for the replacement.

If I failed to fix the burner I would have developed an impostor syndrome, I guess.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Simkins said:
Ainnir said:
Simkins said:
Narcissism
Narcissism is when you look into your reflection in a pond eventually becoming a flower. This is not what I am busy with.
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/narcissism

Definition 2 is where it's at, in your case.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Simkins said:
Ainnir said:
Narcissism

Everybody knows this word. Much less do know its origin from a beautiful Greek legend. Common sense should tell you that the one who knows Greek mythology also knows the other meanings of the word.

But what I was telling is that there is a lot of people plastered with degrees and not possessing the qualification those degrees would imply. Not even capable of much simpler tasks.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Simkins said:
Arachne said:
Simkins said:
Ainnir said:
Narcissism

Everybody knows this word. Much less do know its origin from a beautiful Greek legend. Common sense should tell you that the one who knows Greek mythology also knows the other meanings of the word.
Thanks for proving my point.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Arachne said:
As Ecclesiastes have said, every man has a horizon before him. When this horizon shrinks into a point the man says "my point."

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Simkins said:
Arachne said:
As Ecclesiastes have said, every man has a horizon before him. When this horizon shrinks into a point the man says "my point."
The man says a lot of rubbish. 8)

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Imagine if Madoff's son who reported his dad and hanged himself afterward realized that he has an impostor syndrome. A treatable psychiatric condition. He could have sought professional medical help and Madoff's firm was today a respectable financial institution.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Simkins said:
You were probably smart and actually did the homework required for College Exams.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
WPM said:
You were probably smart and actually did the homework required for College Exams.
Long ago we had a ski race at high school. It was a loop trail. The teacher let out students one by one with a minute interval. When I finished I discovered that a student who started after me had already finished. However nobody took me over. Therefore that student must have cut the trail short. I told this to him in teacher's presence. He answered that he passed by me like a whirlwind so I did notice. The teacher did nothing. Afterward the student told me the same thing as you. With a grin.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
I felt like an impostor when I started as a line cook at a local restaurant, it was an uncomfortable feeling.
So I started doing less, hanging back, I adapted very quickly.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
The last film of Alexander Zinoviev (in Russian with English subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBIk6nRg3s

Directly relevant to this topic. For that creep who got the Red Banner Medal for nothing must have had the impostor syndrome.

Simkins

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Simkins: After years of many warnings for various infractions, you are fully aware that political content is not allowed in the public forum. You will be muted for 2 months. Address any appeal to me. Pravoslavbob, Non-Religous Topics Moderator

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Astounding that the towering intellect that is Simkins doesn't know there are these thingies called teleprompters. Newsreaders, politicians and public speakers have used them for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.