• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Thoughts on this article? GOA celebrating Pat. Bartholomew's name day at episcopal "church"

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I'd have to think they'd get more spiritual bang for the buck by spending their money elsewhere...

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Isn't the GOARCH moving to buy the particular church building?

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Isn't the GOARCH moving to buy the particular church building?
Maybe they could be but I highly doubt it and I’d be very surprised if they were given the current financial state of the GOA, and them selling properties already in NYC. Why buy an old episcopal building when you are selling off viable existing Orthodox properties trying to pay for the completion of the St. Nicholas shrine

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for bringing Helleniscope to my attention. It was a gut wrenching site to read (anti vax, anti mask, stolen something or other that I will not get into). In an internet search, Nick Stamatakis has been described as a defamer for hire. There is an ongoing defamation case in New York against him. You can read the public documents of the case here: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/CaseSearch. Put the following in the "case number" box: 154305/2020. Go to page 2 for the more recent documents. He is being deposed on June 22. I am not a lawyer, so I cannot comment how the case is going (but I did read the documents).

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Regardless who publishes the story, the fact is they are having the celebration at an episcopal church. He will be celebrating his name day at the same altar they perform "wedding" for same sex couples. The affair seems pompous and over the top. While many GOA churches struggle to pay their ever increasing tithe to the archdiocese, they continue with this nonsense.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
He will be celebrating his name day at the same altar they perform "wedding" for same sex couples.
You think no Orthodox communities worship on the regular in Anglican church buildings? Have I got news for you!

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
The affair seems pompous and over the top.
Which is pretty much dictionary definition of Orthodoxy. Can't think of much which wouldn't be pompous and over the top.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
You think no Orthodox communities worship on the regular in Anglican church buildings? Have I got news for you!
What does that have to do with the deliberate choice of a hierarch to celebrate his nameday there, even though he has plenty of churches at his disposal to do exactly that?

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
What does that have to do with the deliberate choice of a hierarch to celebrate his nameday there, even though he has plenty of churches at his disposal to do exactly that?
Same-sex marriage is outrage in case of namedays but is not outrage in case of Eucharist?

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Same-sex marriage is outrage in case of namedays but is not outrage in case of Eucharist?
Well I would think that material circumstances provide the need to rent churches from other bodies, so it is not a free choice of those parishes. And it is in no case ideal.

Christos3

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Maybe so. But as others have said, those services are in areas where no other Orthodox church exists (Where there are plenty in and near NYC). Fortunately, many Orthodox churches that do not have a building of their own will rent a space out at shopping center, or rent part of another denomination's church (e.g. a small hall), but not perform services on the same altar.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I think it's the being in "bad taste" of celebrating the Eucharist and the name day of your patriarch in a building whose denomination explicitly condones same-sex marriage when there are plenty of Orthodox parishes all of metro NYC. But, this is just a long line of scandalous actions by not only Abp. Elpidophoros, but, of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in general.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
It is only scandalous because we are making it so.
I am certain they have a good reason. Perhaps location. Perhaps they are trying to build community relations.

We only see the outside... and while we know little of the true goal and plan, we are all too happy to jump to the conclusions that will fit our own personal opinions and agendas.... and broadcast them to anyone who will listen.

I've never been in an Episcopal church, and have no desire... but, may this service open the eyes of the Episcopalians, who having heard of the event, or perhaps participated, might spark an interest in the "old" Faith... and do some research and perhaps even learn a thing or two about Orthodoxy... and by the Grace of God find their way back Home.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
Lord, have mercy.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Nobody nowhere should use the term "Ecumenist". It has no coherent meaning and can only be used to either slander someone or to claim that I'm better than those others I disagree with.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Nobody nowhere should use the term "Ecumenist". It has no coherent meaning and can only be used to either slander someone or to claim that I'm better than those others I disagree with.
Both of which you just did by accusing the people that use the term "Ecumenist".

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
So if I say that a word has no useful purpose I'm slandering someone? Okay then. 🤷‍♂️

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
So if I say that a word has no useful purpose I'm slandering someone? Okay then. 🤷‍♂️
You didn't say it has no useful purpose, you presumed the motives of people that use it.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
You didn't say it has no useful purpose, you presumed the motives of people that use it.
English is obviously not my native language so I'm not sure if there's something lost in translation but anyway there is a difference between the way words are being used and the reasons why people use certain words. First can be discussed without assuming the latter. If a word has no coherent meaning it serves no useful purpose.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
there is a difference between the way words are being used and the reasons why people use certain words. First can be discussed without assuming the latter.
Which you just did:

Alpo2 said:
It has no coherent meaning and can only be used to either slander someone or to claim that I'm better than those others I disagree with.