• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Tips for reading theology books fast?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Not really talking about literal speed reading, so maybe something closer to skimming? I'm trying to use things like this and this to pack more reading into my life but I somehow doubt they're tips that work very well for super dense/weighty or super technical nonfiction (even if the first one sounds like it should).

My problem is that whenever I read theology or history or anything similar I... reeeeead... veeeeery... sloooooowly... because I'm so afraid of missing something or misunderstanding a key point. It probably made college harder than it had to be and it's causing me to fall way behind on my nonfiction, so much so that on a lot of days I don't even want to start reading. It's demoralizing.

Does anybody have any tips for reading difficult things with that magic combination of both speed and comprehension/retention?

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The more you read and faster you'll read - especially if it is on a topic you've read before . . . for example, the sixth book you read on the History of the Orthodox Church will go much faster than the first you read.

I'd also suggest you get over the anxiety of missing something - you can always go back to a book after reading it.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to read a lot of theology books fast?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
RaphaCam said:
Have a pencil in your hand and go marking whatever you find important, that way you'll be more secure about not losing detail and read faster.
But only do this with books you own. (librarian here  ;) )

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
FinnJames said:
RaphaCam said:
Have a pencil in your hand and go marking whatever you find important, that way you'll be more secure about not losing detail and read faster.
Don't! Keep a legacy to the next readers.  :p

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Hinterlander said:
The more you read and faster you'll read - especially if it is on a topic you've read before . . . for example, the sixth book you read on the History of the Orthodox Church will go much faster than the first you read.
Good point.

Hinterlander said:
I'd also suggest you get over the anxiety of missing something - you can always go back to a book after reading it.
Probably also a good point. But re-reading anything after it's been less than a year or two makes me feel week for forgetting it.

RobS said:
Why do you feel the need to read a lot of theology books fast?
Lot of things I'm way behind on that I shouldn't be (same with history, philosophy, and classic literature). Maybe it's part of an extended quarter-life crisis. Even at 32 I feel the reaper breathing down my neck and want to play lots of catch up.

RaphaCam said:
Been there. Helps a little, but then I go crazy with it and just underline half the book and can't tell what I really wanted to remember.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
FinnJames said:
RaphaCam said:
I never markup books that I own.  My fear of scratching or devaluing them leads me to refrain even from marking up my ebook collection...  ;)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Alpha60 said:
FinnJames said:
RaphaCam said:
I never markup books that I own.  My fear of scratching or devaluing them leads me to refrain even from marking up my ebook collection...  ;)
I have a bit of that anxiety as well, yes.