• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

To what degree is pleasure evil and to what degree is it good?

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you understand the difference between pleasure and contentment? and joy? What definitions are we working with here?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
This had better not be one of those 'enjoying it too much' guilt trip things...

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC
Maybe the word you are looking is "bliss" ?

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
When I say pleasure, I mean the "pleasures of the flesh." You know, your physical urges - food, lust, materialism and private property, etc. etc.

Although we strive for denial of such things, I feel that the world we live in makes it impossible to totally deny to a 100% degree these things. What do we strive for in denying these things? Is physical pleasure intrinsically evil, and if not, what makes it evil? Are we evil insofar as we are fallen? When does it become Gnostic IF that portion of Gnosticism is evil?

When do we reach our end of avoiding evil and surviving?

For example, food - is it sinful to enjoy the meal you eat? Is it sinful to eat at a restaurant? Is it sinful to eat at a 300$ restaurant? Is it sinful to overeat every day?

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Outside the Church
Jurisdiction
Lost for now.
Arachne said:
This had better not be one of those 'enjoying it too much' guilt trip things...
Quite the contrary, as in - the total opposite. It's a question of perhaps striving for denial too much.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Aristotle's golden mean is a good rule.  In addition, remember St. Paul said that doing things like eating food is good as long as it does not offend a brother or sister.

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC
LivenotoneviL said:
When I say pleasure, I mean the "pleasures of the flesh." You know, your physical urges - food, lust, materialism and private property, etc. etc.

Although we strive for denial of such things, I feel that the world we live in makes it impossible to totally deny to a 100% degree these things. What do we strive for in denying these things? Is physical pleasure intrinsically evil, and if not, what makes it evil? Are we evil insofar as we are fallen? When does it become Gnostic IF that portion of Gnosticism is evil?

When do we reach our end of avoiding evil and surviving?

For example, food - is it sinful to enjoy the meal you eat? Is it sinful to eat at a restaurant? Is it sinful to eat at a 300$ restaurant? Is it sinful to overeat every day?
You are asking all the wrong questions.

Material goods are only goods when God is present, otherwise everything is worthless garbage, trust me on that. Something might look attractive/temping, but without God you will have no "pleasure" at all, its like dropping matter into a black hole in an attempt to fill it.

So i stand correct, what you want is bliss, not "pleasure".

As for the rest, God is not someone Who waits with a sledgehammer to bang you in the head every time you take an extra bite, sure if you want to take that extra bite to lessen the stress & burdens on your soul, do so and give thanks to the Lord for His goodness.

You can go to that 300$ restaurant too.

Be aware though, you do not want to turn this into abuse.

As for denying yourself material goods, this is related with sacrificing what is in the top of your heart for the Lord.
Obviously, if they were "material bads" or "material evils" abstaining for a time or giving them up for the Lord is worthless, and will be no different than cain's offering.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
The church does allow for bodily satisfaction under there rules. We have fasting because it hones the skills of moderation. We also have marriage and can enjoy bodily pleasures within the framework of whats considered normal. We are allowed to drink on non fasting days. We are allowed to have festive parties and indulge.
Orthodox people are normal for the most part.
Now if your food becomes a glutton or your sex is out of boundaries is when you fall into sin.
Sometimes good people do some fu$& up stuff.