• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Toll Houses

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
I am on another forum and the issue of toll houses came up. I really can't make head nor tales of the issue. What is the orthodox teaching on them and are they really in the liturgy?

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
The Orthodox teaching on the soul after death and the particular judgment is throughout the liturgical texts (the Octoechos, the Menaion, and other prayers composed by the saints and/or universally used by the Church) and throughout the writings of the holy fathers of East and West from ancient to modern times. It is an accounting of the Christian's life, of his good and evil deeds and a continued spiritual warfare over that soul, a warfare in which it can no longer participate since its separation from the body, but, just as it was not the sole participant in life, so now after death the battle goes on until it is clear in what state of expectation the soul will reside until the Last Judgment, whether in the expectation of reward or the expectation of punishment. But the particular judgment is not the end state of the soul, and the soul's condition can be changed or improved through the prayers of the Church.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
If you feel like doing a deep dive (1100 pages), here you go:

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
If you feel like doing a deep dive (1100 pages), here you go:

If I only had the time

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
I am on another forum and the issue of toll houses came up. I really can't make head nor tales of the issue. What is the orthodox teaching on them and are they really in the liturgy?
If you do a quick search I'm pretty sure there are a few threads on the toll houses on the forum because I remember getting into the weeds on the issue when I was a catechumen 10 years ago or so.