• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Toronto church looking for minister to preserve Welsh culture

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
[quote author=<a href="http://natpo.st/IdMdjR">Wanted: One minister to help preserve culture at North America’s last remaining Welsh church</a>]After a fruitless 11-month search, Canada’s last remaining Welsh church is finding it harder than expected to find a minister who can speak Welsh.

“It’s a very shallow pond,” said Betty Cullingworth, a member of the congregation at Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, North America’s only Welsh-language church, in north Toronto.[/quote]

I thought this was interesting, a taste of the issues we could have in ethnic parishes if they weren't able to track down priests in the old country, or current seminarians were resistant to learning the language and supporting culture as perhaps parishioners might wish.

(Sorry about the thread title, which sounds a tad pitch-y.)

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
John of the North said:
[quote author=<a href="http://natpo.st/IdMdjR">Wanted: One minister to help preserve culture at North America’s last remaining Welsh church</a>]After a fruitless 11-month search, Canada’s last remaining Welsh church is finding it harder than expected to find a minister who can speak Welsh.

“It’s a very shallow pond,” said Betty Cullingworth, a member of the congregation at Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, North America’s only Welsh-language church, in north Toronto.
I thought this was interesting, a taste of the issues we could have in ethnic parishes if they weren't able to track down priests in the old country, or current seminarians were resistant to learning the language and supporting culture as perhaps parishioners might wish.

[/quote]Will they accept a minister who is willing to learn Welsh?

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
John of the North said:

“It’s a very shallow pond,” said Betty Cullingworth, a member of the congregation at Dewi Sant Welsh United Church, North America’s only Welsh-language church, in north Toronto.

Will they accept a minister who is willing to learn Welsh?
[/quote]

While I am not certain, I wouldn't imagine they would be willing to take in a minister and give him several years to pick up the language. In my Ukrainian church, you wouldn't get anywhere near the diaconate without having a certain level of Ukrainian--I would not be surprised if that was the situation here.

ThePilgrim

Reaction score
John of the North said:

[/quote]

Wel, byddwn i'n cytuno i fod eu offeriad newydd nhw, os maen nhw'n cytuno i ymuno'r Eglwys Uniongred ;-)

Well, I would agree to be their priest if they agree to join the Orthodox Church.

Tad/Father John

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Wel, byddwn i'n cytuno i fod eu offeriad newydd nhw, os maen nhw'n cytuno i ymuno'r Eglwys Uniongred ;-)

Well, I would agree to be their priest if they agree to join the Orthodox Church.

Tad/Father John
[/quote]Y dduw bo'r diolch.

ThePilgrim

Reaction score
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
[/quote]

Wyt ti'n siarad Cymraeg yn wir?  Yn anffodus, pan ti'n postio rhwybeth yma, rhaid i ti bostio fo yn Saesneg, hefyd.

(Do you really speak Welsh?  Unfortunately, when you post something here, you need to post it in English, too).

O leia, dyna beth naethon nhw ddweud i fi pan nes i bostio yn Wcreineg heb Saesneg.

(At least, that's what they told me when I wrote in Ukrainian without an English translation).

Tad Ioan

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
ThePilgrim said:
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Wyt ti'n siarad Cymraeg yn wir?  Yn anffodus, pan ti'n postio rhwybeth yma, rhaid i ti bostio fo yn Saesneg, hefyd.

(Do you really speak Welsh?  Unfortunately, when you post something here, you need to post it in English, too).

O leia, dyna beth naethon nhw ddweud i fi pan nes i bostio yn Wcreineg heb Saesneg.

(At least, that's what they told me when I wrote in Ukrainian without an English translation).

Tad Ioan
[/quote]I'm on the long path of learning Welsh. That's all I know so far. :)

ThePilgrim

Reaction score
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Tad Ioan
I'm on the long path of learning Welsh. That's all I know so far. :)
[/quote]

I could help you.  Some methods are a lot better than others. :)

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ThePilgrim said:
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Tad Ioan
I'm on the long path of learning Welsh. That's all I know so far. :)
I could help you.  Some methods are a lot better than others. :)
[/quote]

I'd be interesting in learning Welsh as well. :)

ThePilgrim

Reaction score
John of the North said:
"Say Something in Welsh" is far and away, hands down, the best and easiest way of learning Welsh.  The lessons are clear and effective, the support on the forums is wonderful, and the people involved in making the course are very friendly.  Using their courses, you will end up actually speaking Welsh, fluently and correctly.

As a speaker of 7-10+ languages (depending on the level), this is the best language learning system I have found so far, and the only one that beats out the Pimsleur.

They have both a North Welsh and a South Welsh course: http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/index.php

In Christ,
Fr. John

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
You should get in touch with them Fr. John - perhaps they could join the Archdiocese's Western Rites Vicariate :).

ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Tad/Father John
[/quote]

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:
"Say Something in Welsh" is far and away, hands down, the best and easiest way of learning Welsh.  The lessons are clear and effective, the support on the forums is wonderful, and the people involved in making the course are very friendly.  Using their courses, you will end up actually speaking Welsh, fluently and correctly.

As a speaker of 7-10+ languages (depending on the level), this is the best language learning system I have found so far, and the only one that beats out the Pimsleur.

They have both a North Welsh and a South Welsh course: http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/index.php

In Christ,
Fr. John
I had bookmarked this site sometime ago--thanks for the ringing endorsement, I'll take another look!

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
ThePilgrim said:
Jetavan said:
ThePilgrim said:
John of the North said:

Tad/Father John
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Tad Ioan
[/quote]

This is why there's a foreign language board! 

Here is the link to the "other languages" board on the forum.  feel free to strike up a conversation!   

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/board,32.0.html

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
My gosh, and here I thought Welsh was a dead language.  I am glad it's not though,  people should know their own language...Hmmm! And here I thought English dominated the British Isles? ???