Transactionalism

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen this video before...maybe someone linked it here at some point?

No, I don't struggle with this now.  I have been in this milieu, though, and it did lead to a crisis of faith.  It was along the lines of, if I'm praying (and praying and praying) and what I'm praying about is God's will, how could He possibly let His will be defied?  It didn't compute.  I almost lost my faith, but I found Orthodoxy instead.

The narrator's view of the Incarnation and salvation isn't entirely Orthodox, but I agree with his criticism of the transaction model and what the outworking of Christianity is supposed to include.

You are not under an obligation to tithe if you don't even belong to a church.  Give your money to a local charity if you want to give your money.  My priest says that we should give out of gratitude, for "God loves a cheerful giver."  Seems like the horse to the tithing cart.  :)

sprtslvr1973

High Elder
Reaction score
Ainnir said:
You are not under an obligation to tithe if you don't even belong to a church.  Give your money to a local charity if you want to give your money.  My priest says that we should give out of gratitude, for "God loves a cheerful giver."  Seems like the horse to the tithing cart.  :)
And I tithe because every Orthodox church I have known gives money away as quickly as it gets it, so via tithing, I am giving to a viable charity :)

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
sprtslvr1973 said:
And I tithe because every Orthodox church I have known gives money away as quickly as it gets it, so via tithing, I am giving to a viable charity :)

I believe it. Well that doesn’t sound fear-based at all!  It sounds like you don’t have much to worry about in regard to tithing.  I pray God blesses you for it.  :D