• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Translate from Greek?

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I acquired this a few months ago off of eBay.  It is hand painted and the seller stated it was purchased from an antique dealer in Brussels, Belgium.  While cleaning one day, I guess I cleaned too much and there was writing on the bottom right corner under the original paint layer.  Can someone please translate what this says.  Thank you.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/jessicah1/slideshow/Theotokos

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Can this be moved to a better forum for translation? Thanks

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
It says "By the hand of Nik. [abbreviated longer name, could be any of several] Vranou."

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
JessicaH said:
I acquired this a few months ago off of eBay.  It is hand painted and the seller stated it was purchased from an antique dealer in Brussels, Belgium.  While cleaning one day, I guess I cleaned too much and there was writing on the bottom right corner under the original paint layer.  Can someone please translate what this says.  Thank you.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/jessicah1/slideshow/Theotokos
It is most unlikely the icon is hand-painted, much less an antique. It's a mass-produced mounted print, with an "antique-look" coating of varnish or lacquer. Many Orthodox supply houses stock them.

There's nothing at all wrong with having or venerating such an icon, of course. Mounted prints are just as worthy of veneration as hand-painted icons. But there are those out there who use deceptive advertising.  :(

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Where would be a good place to get one, do you think?