• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

True Theology vs Post-Enlightment Philosophies

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
So the past year I've been reading a variety of modernist-esque writers:  Nietzsche, Freud, Darwin, Adam Smith, Kafka, etc.

I've seen many a rebuttal come from Roman Catholic authors about the above personalities, but never from an Orthodox Christian author.  Where does our Church stand on this? 

Is there nothing redeeming from an Orthodox Christian perspective about the Enlightenment? About the Renaissance? About Modernism?  So many of the modern marvels which we enjoy today are attributed to the thoughts and discoveries from many people who embraced the ideals formulated during these time periods.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I don't know.  ISTM that Eastern Christianity has been forced only recently to confront the fruits of the Western philosophical movements of the past few centuries, whereas Western Christians have been dealing with these issues from their very genesis.  It also appears that many of today's Eastern Christians harbor such an irrational fear of and disdain toward anything Western that they can only see the rotten fruits of these developments, of which there are undoubtedly many.  I'm sure quite a few "forward thinking" Orthodox have attempted to wrestle with how to confront modern Western philosophies in a fearless, objective manner capable of seeing also the positive aspects that we can embrace in these trends, but such "thinkers" often lack credibility with many Orthodox for their apparent willingness to compromise with the "apostate West".

orthodoxlurker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Robert said:
So the past year I've been reading a variety of modernist-esque writers:  Nietzsche, Freud, Darwin, Adam Smith, Kafka, etc.

I've seen many a rebuttal come from Roman Catholic authors about the above personalities, but never from an Orthodox Christian author.  Where does our Church stand on this? 

Is there nothing redeeming from an Orthodox Christian perspective about the Enlightenment? About the Renaissance? About Modernism?  So many of the modern marvels which we enjoy today are attributed to the thoughts and discoveries from many people who embraced the ideals formulated during these time periods.
Actually there is, by two Serbian authors, but I'm not sure if itś been translated into English.

St. Nikolai of Ohrid and Zhicha wrote 'Words about pan-human" directly refuting Nietzce from an Orthodox viewpoint.

Abba Justin of Celije did have further emphasized about it in chapters of his books Örthodoxy of St. Sava as the phylosophy of Life and Orthodox Church and ecumenism.

Basically, their perspective is that Renesaince and Enlightment are fruits of Vanity and Haughtiness and are deeply flawed.