• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Tsar Stefan Urosh IV Dushan

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Is he on the calendar of saints like his father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and son?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Is he on the calendar of saints like his father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and son?
No.  I recall that being pointed out a number of times.

Reaction score
^Serbian tzar from Nemanjic dynasty
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Uroš_IV_Dušan_of_Serbia

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
So little known that even his wiki page won't load. Awesome.

Reaction score
^I guess it won't load because of the Serbianfonts which are not recognizable. Here you go http://tinyurl.com/m6uh5lb

Dionysii

High Elder
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
So little known that even his wiki page won't load. Awesome.
I know who he was.
If I am not mistaken, Dushan was the most powerful of all Serbian kings which automatically places him somewhat before the Kosovo battle lost to the Ottomans in 1389. 
Dushan's kingdom included most of the Balkans including all of former Yugoslavia, Albania, and much of modern Bulgaria, Romania, and even southern parts of Greece except perhaps for the Peloponessus. 

Reaction score
Yep.  I believe I read somewhere that 3 Patriarchs (Serbian, Greek and Bulgarian) were present during his marriage. He dreamt of ruling over Byzantine Empire...

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Of course he is a saint, look at his saintly halo!

anyway, serbian wikipedia says he is a saint. The only one of his dynasty to be named a saint "after his death"

oh... my...

so his father ect were all declared saints while living? :p

Reaction score
Strangely enough he is the only member of Nemanjic dynasty who was a ruler and has not been proclaimed a Saint.

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Halos are deceiving in that it was the norm of depicting an emperor.
sorry I was just kidding about that :p

but the serbian wikipedia says this on him:

"Без обзира на то, Стефан Душан је једини владар из династије Немањића који није био проглашен за свеца после смрти."

Dear Serbs, please translate ;p I do not trust google translate.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Gunnarr said:
Shanghaiski said:
Halos are deceiving in that it was the norm of depicting an emperor.
sorry I was just kidding about that :p

but the serbian wikipedia says this on him:

"Без обзира на то, Стефан Душан је једини владар из династије Немањића који није био проглашен за свеца после смрти."

Dear Serbs, please translate ;p I do not trust google translate.

"Anyway, Stefan Dusan is the only ruler coming from Nemanjic dynasty that hasn't been proclaimed as a saint after death"

To tell true, I don't know exactly why. Here is an article about it in Serbian: http://politikin-zabavnik.rs/pz/tekstovi/uzvisi-se but it's more like supposition. Generally, Nemanjic dynasty is called "holy" (includimng both, men and women) - "Sveta loza Nemanjica"