• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Two New Faculty Members at SVOTS

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Saint Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary here has hired two new faculty members to teach Biblical studies—Dr. George L. Parsenios, Professor of New Testament, and Archpriest Dr. Eugen J. Pentiuc, Professor of Scripture and Semitic Languages. Highly regarded in their fields of study, both are published authors and sought-after lecturers.

“I am thrilled that Professors Parsenios and Pentiuc have joined our faculty,” said Archpriest Dr. John Behr, Dean of the Seminary.  “They are amongst the most eminent scriptural scholars working today, have published widely in their fields, with the most respected presses, and bring a great amount of talent and passion to the teaching of this fundamental discipline, which will benefit our students greatly.”

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/st.-vladimirs-seminary-gains-two-new-faculty-members

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
♫ God grant you many semesters
♫ God grant you many semesters
♫ God grant you many many many semesters

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
I see that Archpriest Dr. Eugen J. Pentiuct was on the faculty of Holy Cross as a tenured professor. Does anyone know if he is splitting his time between HC and SVOTS or will he be solely affililiated with SVOTS?

liftsifter

Reaction score
Fr. Pentiuc is still at Holy Cross. He teaches a few courses and also teaches at St Vlad's. He spends more time in Brookline, though.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
The press release should have so stated. It's petty things like that add to the difficulties in American Orthodox behaving like grownups. There is nothing wrong with a noted professor sharing his pedagogical talents with more than one institution.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
The press release should have so stated. It's petty things like that add to the difficulties in American Orthodox behaving like grownups. There is nothing wrong with a noted professor sharing his pedagogical talents with more than one institution.
Maybe they just assumed that nobody cares since most people wouldn't :-D.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
The press release noted: "Father Eugen is a tenured Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology and holds Ph.D.s from Harvard University and Bucharest University." I do not know how "is a tenured Professor" got translated to "was a tenured..." in your mind.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ahhh Oc.net

willing to argue about even the most trivial and non consequential of things

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'm told you complete education at a University before entering Seminary

pensateomnia

Archon
Reaction score
The press release is indeed misleading. Both Fr Eugene and Dr Parsenios are tenured, full-time faculty members at OTHER institutions: Fr Eugune at Holy Cross and Dr Parsenios at Princeton Theological Seminary. Neither of the two are leaving their tenured, full-time posts. They simply agreed to commute to SVS once a week to teach a seminar.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
pensateomnia said:
The press release is indeed misleading. Both Fr Eugene and Dr Parsenios are tenured, full-time faculty members at OTHER institutions: Fr Eugune at Holy Cross and Dr Parsenios at Princeton Theological Seminary. Neither of the two are leaving their tenured, full-time posts. They simply agreed to commute to SVS once a week to teach a seminar.
That was my understanding as well. I still fail to see why there is an issue here; the press release that I cited was quite explicit, both of these teachers are primarily employed at:

"Dr. Parsenios is an associate professor of New Testament at Princeton Theological Seminary"
and​
"Father Eugen is a tenured Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology"

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Added: I submit that the quotes I provided would be misleading if the reader did not read the entire news release. I was sorely tempted to post more than just the first two paragraphs but as you know the rules prevent that. In any case, I do apologize for the misunderstanding.