• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Two new threads needed for ecclesiastical documents

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
We have a thread for documents from World Orthodoxy, entitled, "Documents from the North American Episcopal Assembly," where discussion and debate are not allowed.

Could we please have a similar thread for documents from True Orthodoxy?

And could we please have a similar thread for documents from Oriental Orthodoxy?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Maria said:
But you wrote it exists already. I'm confused.

We have a thread for documents from World Orthodoxy, entitled, "Documents from the North American Episcopal Assembly,"
Nevertheless, why won't you start a thread if you need it's necessary?

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
mike said:
Nevertheless, why won't you start a thread if you need it's necessary?

Exactly.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Maria said:
We have a thread for documents from World Orthodoxy, entitled, "Documents from the North American Episcopal Assembly," where discussion and debate are not allowed.

And could we please have a similar thread for documents from Oriental Orthodoxy?
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=27921.0

I would think that you could start something similar for the Old Calendarists if you wanted to.

Similar documents for the Oriental Orthodox could probably just go in the Sources for Oriental Orthodox Studies thread.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Salpy said:
Maria said:

I would think that you could start something similar for the Old Calendarists if you wanted to.

Similar documents for the Oriental Orthodox could probably just go in the Sources for Oriental Orthodox Studies thread.
Yes, I would like to have a pinned thread similar to the one that Father George started. However, I am not a mod, I do not want to be a mod here, and neither can I pin a thread.

Even though Anastasios is the Webmaster and CEO of OrthodoxChristianity.net, there is no private forum for Old Calendarists where we can store documents, yet there is one for the Oriental Orthodox.

Everytime I post an Old Calendar synodal document, it gets derailed. If I try to start a thread (as I attempted to do), it will only get derailed once again with unsavory discussions.

Yet, the New Calendarists have a place set aside for Synodal documents that Father George started where discussion is not allowed.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Hmmm...

My suggestion would be to start the thread in Christian News and then ask the mods to make it a sticky.  It's worth a try.  :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Maria said:
Even though Anastasios is the Webmaster and CEO of OrthodoxChristianity.net, there is no private forum for Old Calendarists where we can store documents, yet there is one for the Oriental Orthodox.
For the record, "Oriental Orthodox Discussion" predates his conversion to (Old Calendarist) Orthodoxy.  Since his conversion, he doesn't seem to have thought that starting a separate section for Old Calendarists was advisable.  If you feel strongly about it, you might consider talking to him, but I suspect it is a deliberate choice. 

Everytime I post an Old Calendar synodal document, it gets derailed. If I try to start a thread (as I attempted to do), it will only get derailed once again with unsavory discussions.
I think that has less to do with the fact that it is an "Old Calendar synodal document" (though that bias certainly pops up now and then) and more to do with the way you post it, your commentary about it, etc. 

Yet, the New Calendarists have a place set aside for Synodal documents that Father George started where discussion is not allowed.
I agree with Salpy's suggestion.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
I actually think the idea of having sticky threads for these documents is of dubious value; I think it would be better to have open discussions on each document.  A sticky thread might exist as a "control thread" with links to the subordinate threads in which the actual documents had been linked to.  I don't see why we should not engage in interesting and relevant discussions on these threads.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Maria said:
Salpy said:
Maria said:

Yes, I would like to have a pinned thread similar to the one that Father George started. However, I am not a mod, I do not want to be a mod here, and neither can I pin a thread.

Maria,

A few items for consideration:

1. Pinning a document does not prevent discussion: it merely keeps the thread on top.

2. Fr. George's threads actually permit discussion.  The fact that they have not been 'derailed' may give you pause to consider why your thread derailed.

3. The OCNet is all about "True Orthodoxy" to begin with and so you need to come up with some other way of expressing yourself about your beliefs.  I believe that my jurisdiction does keep 'True Orthodoxy'... shall we play that game?

4. The aforementioned threads were not jurisdiction- or communion-specific, but were devoted to particular ongoing events.  They are not 'New Calendarist Threads' so to speak.

5. I believe that if a poster wants to post their opinions and commentaries, then they should not be able to hide behind a moderatorial ban on discussion.  If the OCNet decides to create a document thread, it would only be fair that such a thread merely hold documents and not any comments from any posters.  This would probably best be done by posters PMing links to the documents that people want posted, and then the mods posting the links to the original documents.  Posters could then copy the links and use them to engage in debates in the appropriate Fora.  So, yes, if it is posted, it will eventually be discussed.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
4. The aforementioned threads were not jurisdiction- or communion-specific, but were devoted to particular ongoing events.  They are not 'New Calendarist Threads' so to speak.

[/size][/font]
Not to mention 30% of these Churches are Old-Calendar.