• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

UAOC ready to become Constantinople’s metropolis

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Yurysprudentsiya said:
I do know of the dismissal of Metropolitan Oleksandr (Drabynko) of Pereyaslav-Khmelnyts'kyj from his post as Chairman of the Department of External Church Relations of the UOC-MP in late May, which came just two months after he paid a pastoral visit to Ukrainian army troops serving in the East and served Divine Liturgy there. 
You are going into conspiracy theories.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
Perhaps it could be read that way.  Honestly, I think that was only the latest in a long line of reasons why they wanted to get rid of him.  I'm really interested to know why they got rid of Fr. Heorhij, however.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
mike said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
I do know of the dismissal of Metropolitan Oleksandr (Drabynko) of Pereyaslav-Khmelnyts'kyj from his post as Chairman of the Department of External Church Relations of the UOC-MP in late May, which came just two months after he paid a pastoral visit to Ukrainian army troops serving in the East and served Divine Liturgy there. 
What was the official reason?

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
mike said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
Perhaps seeing what is to come, UOC-MP press secretary (at least he once held this title, I assume that he still does), Fr. Heorhij Kovalenko recently commented on Radio Maria:
He was dismissed from that office a couple of months ago.
Mike is correct. Fr. Heorhij Kovalenko was removed from that postion a few months back.  Radio maria is Roman Catholic, what was Fr. Heorhij Kovalenko doing on that station?

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
According to the article, he was giving an interview.

You can see more of it here:
http://orthodoxy.org.ua/data/yakshcho-mi-iedini-z-vselenskim-pravoslavyam-maiemo-pragnuti-shchob-i-reshta-pravoslavnih-bula

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Cyrillic said:
mike said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
What was the official reason?
AFAIK, nothing specyphic was given.

The fact Metr. Humphrey is clearing the curia out of his predecessor's underlings and introduces his own ones is nothing new, suprising, or scandalizing.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
BTW, does the fact UOC-UsA begins to allign with "mainstream" UAOC and that fusion mean they are dropping Isichenko altogether?

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Yurysprudentsiya said:
According to the article, he was giving an interview.

You can see more of it here:
http://orthodoxy.org.ua/data/yakshcho-mi-iedini-z-vselenskim-pravoslavyam-maiemo-pragnuti-shchob-i-reshta-pravoslavnih-bula
Thanks I just read it.  It is just a fluff interview with nothing substantial except that he calls for sobornist in the future united Ukrainian Orthodox Church.  And yes, he did loose his position.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
(Translated by me)
"After the unification of the UOC-KP and UAOC, the single national Ukrainian church will be recognized by the Patriarchate of Constantinople, said Archbishop Yevstratij (Zorya), a spokesman for the UOC-KP, on Ukrainian television station Channel 5, reports UNN."

A bit more (in Ukrainian) here:
http://risu.org.ua/ua/index/all_news/orthodox/uoc_kp/60252/
Oy vey. I hope that's not true. At least not if the MP isn't on board.
If the Phanar does, it will loose its Ukrainians.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
ialmisry said:
Cyrillic said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
(Translated by me)
"After the unification of the UOC-KP and UAOC, the single national Ukrainian church will be recognized by the Patriarchate of Constantinople, said Archbishop Yevstratij (Zorya), a spokesman for the UOC-KP, on Ukrainian television station Channel 5, reports UNN."

Why?

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
ialmisry said:
Cyrillic said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
(Translated by me)

Why?
The nature of phyletism and diaspora politics/mentality. The KPers in the US don't see a difference between the Phanar and the Kremlin.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Isa, do you mean "loose" or "lose", as either could apply to your point? Thanks.

My problem with phyletism has always been that while all Orthodox agree it is a heresy, defining it in the real world is tough.  Where one man sees  phyletism, another man sees a proper self ruling national Orthodox church which is, by nature, tied in some way to the culture of that "nation." When is it legitimate and when is it not? And in-artful or overly polemic responses are often jumped on by the Papists in support of universal jurisdiction and papal supremacy.  (Or by those whose view of a "nation"  is broader than that of their neighbor.) 

Regnare

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
ialmisry said:
Cyrillic said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
(Translated by me)

I'm not so sure. I've been to a couple of Ukrainian churches (UOC of Canada), some quite big, where the prevailing view in the congregation was that the KP is the legitimate church of Ukraine. The priest at one of them went so far as to say "Where is this word 'canonical' in the Bible?"

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Regnare said:
ialmisry said:
Cyrillic said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
(Translated by me)

I'm not so sure. I've been to a couple of Ukrainian churches (UOC of Canada), some quite big, where the prevailing view in the congregation was that the KP is the legitimate church of Ukraine. The priest at one of them went so far as to say "Where is this word 'canonical' in the Bible?"
Right next to the word "Ukraine". 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Mor Ephrem said:
Regnare said:
ialmisry said:
Cyrillic said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
(Translated by me)

Both "Ukraine" and "canonical" are indicated by the wording of the Great Commission: "...make disciples of all nations..."

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Apparently, a rose by any other name would not smell as  sweet. http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/60274/

Hmm... "UAOC Primate Makariy (Maletych) suggests that the announced unification with the Kyiv Patriarchate may fail to occur. The reason is that the UOC-KP, as Metropolitan Makariy claims, does not agree that a combined name of the church shall include the word ‘autocephalous’. The UAOC, in turn, disagrees with the principle of representative delegates to the unification council, whereby theirclergymen will have fewer votes."

Stay tuned. Popcorn shortages may occur.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Those sound like stupid reasons to me.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
This is the way that everything has historically been run in Ukraine.  There may well be more than just the stated reasons.  Or maybe these reasons are really important.  Or maybe somebody just doesn't want it to happen.  Or maybe somewhere someone is posturing to get a better deal from someone.  Time will tell. 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Yurysprudentsiya said:
This is the way that everything has historically been run in Ukraine.  There may well be more than just the stated reasons.  Or maybe these reasons are really important.  Or maybe somebody just doesn't want it to happen.  Or maybe somewhere someone is posturing to get a better deal from someone.  Time will tell.
Sounds to me like they need a fatherly figure to come in and enforce unity. I nominate Putin.  ;)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Regnare said:
Both "Ukraine" and "canonical" are indicated by the wording of the Great Commission: "...make disciples of all nations..."
Perhaps, but then the priest in Regnare's post still has a major problem. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
UOC (MP) hierarchs concerned about Constantinople’s activity in Ukraine
https://www.facebook.com/orthodox.christian.news/posts/1756120764614524

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
Apparently, a rose by any other name would not smell as  sweet. http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/60274/

Hmm... "UAOC Primate Makariy (Maletych) suggests that the announced unification with the Kyiv Patriarchate may fail to occur. The reason is that the UOC-KP, as Metropolitan Makariy claims, does not agree that a combined name of the church shall include the word ‘autocephalous’. The UAOC, in turn, disagrees with the principle of representative delegates to the unification council, whereby theirclergymen will have fewer votes."

Stay tuned. Popcorn shortages may occur.
Maybe we can loan them 'Self-Ruled'....    ;D