• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Uncut Mountain Supply quality?

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I am looking at buying the icon of Christ "Pantocrator" of Mount Sinai because I love that icon and it's also at the monastery where my name saint was abbot (John of the Ladder). I am looking at Legacy Icons and their 6"x12" is $39.95 and I have a few of their icons and love the quality but I also saw on Uncut Mountain Supply they have an 9.5"x17" for $45 but I've never owned an icon from that company and don't know what the quality is like. Do any of you own one of their icons and can show me pictures of the wood board? Thanks!

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Original charcoal incense

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
I ordered an icon of Fr. Seraphim Rose from UMS and it arrived two days ago. The image is very clear with no pixelating, has a matte finish, and is mounted on a solid piece of wood. The only caution I would urge is that the image itself looks like it could be scratched/damaged easily, so I would be careful about handling and placement. I'm very happy with it, though, and would definitely order from them again.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Saxon said:
I ordered an icon of Fr. Seraphim Rose from UMS and it arrived two days ago. The image is very clear with no pixelating, has a matte finish, and is mounted on a solid piece of wood. The only caution I would urge is that the image itself looks like it could be scratched/damaged easily, so I would be careful about handling and placement. I'm very happy with it, though, and would definitely order from them again.
Thanks for that info, what does the wood look like? Does it have a rounded edge and painted red?

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
Saxon said:
Thanks for that info, what does the wood look like? Does it have a rounded edge and painted red?
Yes, pretty much as they show on the site. When I get home from work tonight I'll take a photo and upload it for you.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Saxon said:
Peacemaker said:
Saxon said:
Yes, pretty much as they show on the site. When I get home from work tonight I'll take a photo and upload it for you.
Thank you

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Also I wouldn't worry about it scratching as they do laminate their icons with a UV protecting matte laminate.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
The wood is about 2/3 of an inch thick.

Reaction score
My parish just received an order of about 30 of their icons. Each of them are top notch quality in every way. I was very impressed.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I've purchased from them before, but I didn't care for it. 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
Saxon said:
What does the red paint do?

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What does uncut mountain mean? How does one cut a mountain?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Tzimis said:
Tzimis said:
It's a phrase in Daniel 2:45, a prophecy of the Incarnation:

Inasmuch as you saw that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold—the great God has made known to the king what will come to pass after this. The dream is certain, and its interpretation is sure.”

The stone is Christ, the "uncut mountain" is the Mother of God. The phrase is in the hymns of many of her feasts.

HardHead

Reaction score
I ordered a Christ Pantocrator icon after reading this thread. The icon is the same size as the image shown above (i.e. held in someones hand), and its not bad at all. I expected a more plastic look but it has a nice finish that is more satin/matte than I thought it would be.

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
The Uncut Mountain Supply icons look almost exactly like icons from St. Isaac of Syria Skete. The same type of bevel on the front edge. The UMS icons use a thicker board that are about the width of my thumb. The SISS icons are about the width of my pinkie.

HardHead

Reaction score
I bought two icons from Uncut Mountain Supply. The products are fine and seem good to me for the price. Not bad at all.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I made a purchase from then recently; the product is nice and the shipping was timely. Perhaps, hopefully, they have worked out whatever kinks in their service that others talked about.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Peacemaker said:
Saxon said:
As far as I can tell, it's fairly common for the sides of the icon to be painted red. I assume it's just to spruce up what would otherwise be plain wood. Of course Orthodox love devising theological rationales for existing practices.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
hecma925 said:
Peacemaker said:
Saxon said:
As far as I can tell, it's fairly common for the sides of the icon to be painted red. I assume it's just to spruce up what would otherwise be plain wood. Of course Orthodox love devising theological rationales for existing practices.
Phew.  I have a couple of icons with no red border.  I thought I would have to burn them to prevent myself from going to hell.