• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Understanding the Western Rite

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
noahzarc1 said:
PorphyriosK said:
noahzarc1 said:
... However, and I do like this, an Orthodox Priest told me that the being western, if he had a drive in either direction to an Eastern Orthodox or western Orthodox the most orthodox thing he could do, was go to the western Orthodox Church.
The only thing that slightly rubs me the wrong way about that statement is that it subtly hints that therefore westerners drawn to joining the Eastern church are making a somewhat "less" orthodox choice or are not being as authentic.
It was part of a larger conversation we were having if I remember around the schism and what eventually happened with the spread of the church here in the U.S. Primarily the Orthodox in Greece for example are Greek Orthodox, the Russians were primarily Russian Orthodox, etc. Therefore the conversation was more of a hypothetical too, such as what would have happened had the U.S. become what it was but there was no schism. Then we talked about which see or church would have primarily come this way. I am generalizing and paraphrasing, but this is where it really stemmed from. I believe the point he was making that in the west theoretically what would have been available would've been the Western Rite. He said having almost every see and rite available in the U.S. was somewhat of an anamoly and this is not normally how it was with the spread of Orthodoxy.
Ok I get it now, thanks for clarifying.  :)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Another possible way to look at it: the rites of the Greek Church started out Palestinian Jewish Christian and evolved overtime into a Greek rite. The the rites of the Russian Church started out Greek and evolved over time into a Russian rite. The rites of the Latin Church started out Palestinian Jewish and Greek and evolved over time into a Latin rite. The rites of the Western European Churches started out Latin and evolved over time into English, Irish, German, French, etc. rites.

The rites of the American Churches started out Greek, Russian, Syrian, etc. so it makes sense that they will eventually evolve and coalesce into more distinctively American rites.
Add John Erickson's music to the (positive) quirks of the Antiochian Archdiocese, and you have the American Byzantine Rite.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:
Another possible way to look at it: the rites of the Greek Church started out Palestinian Jewish Christian and evolved overtime into a Greek rite. The the rites of the Russian Church started out Greek and evolved over time into a Russian rite. The rites of the Latin Church started out Palestinian Jewish and Greek and evolved over time into a Latin rite. The rites of the Western European Churches started out Latin and evolved over time into English, Irish, German, French, etc. rites.

The rites of the American Churches started out Greek, Russian, Syrian, etc. so it makes sense that they will eventually evolve and coalesce into more distinctively American rites.
Add John Erickson's music to the (positive) quirks of the Antiochian Archdiocese, and you have the American Byzantine Rite.
lol, I had to Google who that was. The first hits were the cowboy author.

I see who you really meant, now.

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:

I too had to look him up. In the process I came across this website. I only book marked it and will examine it later. https://orthodoxhistory.org

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Volnutt said:

I've also had to be mindful of the fact the church is over 2,000 years old and the U.S. as a country is just barely over 200. Therefore, everything that happens in the U.S. is going to seem fairly recent in relation to the age of the Church and her history.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:

lol, I had to Google who that was. The first hits were the cowboy author.
I like his books, actually.

But yeah, that's not the one I meant.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
noahzarc1 said:
Agabus said:
Volnutt said:

I too had to look him up. In the process I came across this website. I only book marked it and will examine it later. https://orthodoxhistory.org
The founder of the society, Matthew Namee, used to have a pretty decent podcast about American Orthodox history. It's kind of depressing to see an episode from 2010 about administrative unity titled "Our Best Chance Yet," though.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
noahzarc1 said:
Volnutt said:

I've also had to be mindful of the fact the church is over 2,000 years old and the U.S. as a country is just barely over 200. Therefore, everything that happens in the U.S. is going to seem fairly recent in relation to the age of the Church and her history.
I need to keep that in mind more often as well, yep.