• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Universalism in the Orthodox Tradition

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Are there any books that have been written or thorough works that have been done which collect writings surrounding the topic of universal salvation? I'm really thinking of something which catalogs various perspectives, but even works which argue for one thing or another are welcome.

Also, and discussion of the topic itself I'd welcome here. Thanks.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Fr. Aidan Kimel's blog has a very helpful page referencing many books and essays on this topic:

https://afkimel.wordpress.com/essential-readings-on-universalism/

The Ilaria Ramelli book looks like the closest to what you're looking for. I haven't read it but it looks pretty exhaustive.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
It's a steal for $290.02: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/900424509X

Maybe interlibrary loan...

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Iconodule said:
Fr. Aidan Kimel's blog has a very helpful page referencing many books and essays on this topic:

https://afkimel.wordpress.com/essential-readings-on-universalism/
Helpful, as in he has collected a bunch of pro-universalism quotes--some bordering on the prooftexting side of things--along with various books, and essays from Orthodox and heterodox sources.

From my perusal, it looks like a very one-sided affair, rather than a particularly thorough or serious treatment of the subject. Judging from responses posted on his blog and related threads on this forum, the one-sidedness seems to be what many "universalists" tend to prefer though.

This blog has done the reverse and collected a series of anti-universalism quotes, sources, and perspectives:

http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/2015/04/stump-priest-is-universalism-heresy.html

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
From my perusal, it looks like a very one-sided affair, rather than a particularly thorough or serious treatment of the subject.
I imagine he would quite readily own his bias. It's clear it's a very important and personal matter for him. That said, he occasionally links to  posts on other blogs directed against universalism, including by Fr. John Whiteford. It seems to me he is also considerably more civil than some of those who disagree with him.

Judging from responses posted on his blog and related threads on this forum, the one-sidedness seems to be what many "universalists" tend to prefer though.
Who doesn't? Starting with your own link.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Iconodule said:
I imagine he would quite readily own his bias. It's clear it's a very important and personal matter for him.
I wouldn't doubt it. I suppose I had hoped for a more balanced approach. But aside from the blog being heavily inclined towards universalist belief(s), it is a good place to examine certain writings on the perspective. I added the other link to provide an alternative position.

That said, he occasionally links to  posts on other blogs directed against universalism, including by Fr. John Whiteford. It seems to me he is also considerably more civil than some of those who disagree with him.
Good to read that he does this. I had not seen much in the way of non-universalist opinions, but I will try to follow more carefully.

Judging from responses posted on his blog and related threads on this forum, the one-sidedness seems to be what many "universalists" tend to prefer though.
Who doesn't? Starting with your own link.
I don't prefer the one-sidedness. I think it's an important matter that hasn't been sufficiently resolved. And discussions on here and elsewhere, surprise surprise, have tended to be polarizing, with people ardently labeling themselves "universalists," regardless of what the broader Church teaches on it.

I still think that, given some of the pronouncements Church entities have made (see here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,66885.msg1354673.html#msg1354673), that the burden rests on so-called "universalists" to explain why their perspective is the or an acceptable Orthodox belief, and not simply one espoused by certain Orthodox Fathers and heterodox theologians. I'm not sure I found that in Fr. Aiden's blog.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Are there any books that have been written or thorough works that have been done which collect writings surrounding the topic of universal salvation? I'm really thinking of something which catalogs various perspectives, but even works which argue for one thing or another are welcome.

Also, and discussion of the topic itself I'd welcome here. Thanks.
Considering that Universalism became a worldwide movement in the late 1700s, including the emergence of several new denominations, I think it's safe to say the topic has been well-covered in Christendom. One source that springs to mind is the Bible translation with commentary undertaken by one of England's foremost Universalist preachers and scholars. If I remember or find his name, I'll post it.