• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Unpardonable Sin

mcarmichael

#realmorephrem
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Unaffiliated yet
There, I'm ready to confront it.
Let's start from Samuel, alright? Let's get a broad perspective. One Samuel there is a priest, and his kids desecrate the temple in essence, and the priest doesn't priest and the kids don't repent, on account of, essentially, God didn't want to forgive them. At least in the Protestant translation, which is just the Kings James English or New Kings James English or any other regular English translation.
It's a scary thing to read however because it also says of the fellow that his sin would not be forgiven. So sort of a double-whammy.
Anyway for a long time I was persuaded that it was just an extra bad sin, and it is. I used to get hung up on the logic, "If I disposess demons by the power of the devil, by whose power do you disposess demons sometimes?" I just wasn't getting it, but the idea is that it is obvious whatever it means, and these people were doing exactly what it sounds like. When you hear it that way it makes a little more sense. God is taunting them here, not reasoning with them. It wasn't so much a thing that they did, as much as it was the thing that they did, which was reject the revelation of God. God was revealed to them, but they hardened their hearts against him. As is suggested in the Epistles to the Hebrews, in the story of Judas, etc. St. Paul in the Hebrews helped clarify this point I think without it we might be at a loss, besides whatever comfort we might gain from St. John.

I would also like to add that I think anyone who commits this sin does indeed earn themselves a special place in hell. It only makes sense.

Last edited:

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
There, I'm ready to confront it.
Let's start from Samuel, alright? Let's get a broad perspective. One Samuel there is a priest, and his kids desecrate the temple in essence, and the priest doesn't priest and the kids don't repent, on account of, essentially, God didn't want to forgive them. At least in the Protestant translation, which is just the Kings James English or New Kings James English or any other regular English translation.
It's a scary thing to read however because it also says of the fellow that his sin would not be forgiven. So sort of a double-whammy.
Anyway for a long time I was persuaded that it was just an extra bad sin, and it is. I used to get hung up on the logic, "If I disposess demons by the power of the devil, by whose power do you disposess demons sometimes?" I just wasn't getting it, but the idea is that it is obvious whatever it means, and these people were doing exactly what it sounds like. When you hear it that way it makes a little more sense. God is taunting them here, not reasoning with them. It wasn't so much a thing that they did, as much as it was the thing that they did, which was reject the revelation of God. God was revealed to them, but they hardened their hearts against him. As is suggested in the Epistles to the Hebrews, in the story of Judas, etc. St. Paul in the Hebrews helped clarify this point I think without it we might be at a loss, besides whatever comfort we might gain from St. John.

I would also like to add that I think anyone who commits this sin does indeed earn themselves a special place in hell. It only makes sense.
Basically the unpardonable sin is a sin we don't repent of. We reject the one means of salvation offered by Christ. If you call on Christ to forgive your sin you will be forgiven. The fathers taught this and the councils go with them on this and don't trouble you conscious. I don't know what denomination you are but go talk to your priest/pastor. Pray for forgiveness for all of your sins and be forgiven. Come into the love of Christ.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
Repentance is a gift from God. We are so lost in all our sins that we dont know how to repent, groping in the dark. Then his light shines by his grace so that we can see our sins and we beg for forgiveness but repentance must come first. So we beg for repentance. He is faithful and just and knows how to give good gifts to his children.
It seems the unpardonable sin is as stated in the post above, any unrepentant sin.
When we get so callous and mechanical, going through the motions without our heart, we risk a spiritual death that is hard to revive when we do not know we are dead. That's how sinners will enter in the kingdom of heaven before the stone cold religious zealots. Lord, have mercy on us. Keep us by your grace.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Last edited:

mcarmichael

#realmorephrem
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Unaffiliated yet
Repentance is a gift from God. We are so lost in all our sins that we dont know how to repent, groping in the dark. Then his light shines by his grace so that we can see our sins and we beg for forgiveness but repentance must come first. So we beg for repentance. He is faithful and just and knows how to give good gifts to his children.
It seems the unpardonable sin is as stated in the post above, any unrepentant sin.
When we get so callous and mechanical, going through the motions without our heart, we risk a spiritual death that is hard to revive when we do not know we are dead. That's how sinners will enter in the kingdom of heaven before the stone cold religious zealots. Lord, have mercy on us. Keep us by your grace.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Another one is look at it from your bishop's perspective, from whom you receive the remission of sins. Is he specially gifted to sometimes decide against the applicant? No 100% right? It's part of the rite, it

mcarmichael

#realmorephrem
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Unaffiliated yet