• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Unusual censer type

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Is anyone familiar with this odd, lamp-like censer type? Is it used like a normal censer?

This is one example of a few I've seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orthodox-Censer-Incense-Burner-Christian-Brass-Church-With-Cross-Greek-7709B/142274624204?hash=item21203a7acc:g:i7QAAOxy0NtTBihn

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
For me it's just a type of hand censer, for home usage and also by some e.g monks and nuns at processions or other occassions.

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
It's called katsion or kadzion (κάτσιον or κατζίον in Greek) and it's a variation for small processions or home usage of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Apostolos said:
of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)
No, it's not. I've seen this in Antioch, but during sahraniyyas (all-night vigils). In Poland not at all.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Dominika said:
Apostolos said:
of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)
No, it's not. I've seen this in Antioch, but during sahraniyyas (all-night vigils). In Poland not at all.
Interesting, so these are held sort of in place of candles?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
NicholasMyra said:
Dominika said:
Apostolos said:
Interesting, so these are held sort of in place of candles?
Polyleos that should be chanted during all-night vigil is divided into 2 parts, so at the first one the movement of of chandelier is used, while during the second one this special censer. I'm not sure if I've seen this censer being used also during other moment of the all-night vigil.

Eamonomae

Julian the Apostate
Reaction score
I heard if you rub it, a genie will come out and say to you "Eis pollá étē, Déspota!" and grant you three wishes.

(I'm sorry)