• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Unusual censer type

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
Is anyone familiar with this odd, lamp-like censer type? Is it used like a normal censer?

This is one example of a few I've seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orthodox-Censer-Incense-Burner-Christian-Brass-Church-With-Cross-Greek-7709B/142274624204?hash=item21203a7acc:g:i7QAAOxy0NtTBihn

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
For me it's just a type of hand censer, for home usage and also by some e.g monks and nuns at processions or other occassions.

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Church of Greece
It's called katsion or kadzion (κάτσιον or κατζίον in Greek) and it's a variation for small processions or home usage of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
Thanks for the input--I've seen hand/home censers before, but never one that seemed designed to look like a lamp and with a fish-snake handle.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Apostolos said:
of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)
No, it's not. I've seen this in Antioch, but during sahraniyyas (all-night vigils). In Poland not at all.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
Dominika said:
Apostolos said:
of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)
No, it's not. I've seen this in Antioch, but during sahraniyyas (all-night vigils). In Poland not at all.
Interesting, so these are held sort of in place of candles?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
NicholasMyra said:
Dominika said:
Apostolos said:
Interesting, so these are held sort of in place of candles?
Polyleos that should be chanted during all-night vigil is divided into 2 parts, so at the first one the movement of of chandelier is used, while during the second one this special censer. I'm not sure if I've seen this censer being used also during other moment of the all-night vigil.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
I heard if you rub it, a genie will come out and say to you "Eis pollá étē, Déspota!" and grant you three wishes.

(I'm sorry)