• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

US Religion Census 2020: Dramatic Changes in American Orthodox Churches.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
US Religion Census 2020: Dramatic Changes in American Orthodox Churches.

Couple of bullet points:
  • Orthodox number less than 700K in the U.S
  • Greek Archdiocese of America has lost over 100,000 members between 2010-2020
  • No jurisdiction has grown over that time period, other than small growth in one of the small jurisdictions
  • Oriental Orthodox (more specifically the Copts) have huge gains over the past 10 years
    • presumably this is from immigration
  • Effects of Covid seem to be unknown since many of these were done pre-Covid last year
Bottom line, we are doing an abysmal job at evangelization in America, not only to non-Orthodox but within our own parishes. I really hope the bishops look at this decide to do something.

bwallace23350

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Hopefully the trends reverse but in the West in general it looks as if religion is on decline.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
That's not a bad thing, necessarily. One, Christ will spew the lukewarm out of His mouth. Two, it unblurs the lines between committed Christians and unbelievers. You can say our society is getting more and more immoral as a result, which it is. But it also means the nominally religious are being weeded out and becoming "Nones," which is what they really were to begin with. It also means there's actually more of an opportunity for mission and ministry.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I'm under the impression that there is a relatively very recent trend of Orthodox internet evangelism that, if continued, may eventually soften or reverse this sad trend.
Yea I tend to agree with this on the optimistic side. I'm pretty involved with various Orthodox online things and can definitely say that there are likely several thousand (many former RC) who are inquiring into Orthodoxy. I pray to God this continues.

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
That's not a bad thing, necessarily. One, Christ will spew the lukewarm out of His mouth. Two, it unblurs the lines between committed Christians and unbelievers. You can say our society is getting more and more immoral as a result, which it is. But it also means the nominally religious are being weeded out and becoming "Nones," which is what they really were to begin with. It also means there's actually more of an opportunity for mission and ministry.
True. One thing I would like to see is for the OCMC to actually start working within America. They do great mission work worldwide, but, we have no unified pan-Orthodox effort at evangelism here in America

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
New Gallup poll indicates that, for the first time since their polling began, the percentage of Americans claiming to be members of a church, synagogue, or mosque is less than fifty percent (47%)

A Pew survey indicates that only 40% of self-identified Christians plan to attend in-person services at Western Easter.

The CCP virus is doing what it was designed to do.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
I’m old enough to remember the time when this was “the fastest growing religion “, or at least that’s what the marketeers and apologists said. I’d say the statistics aren’t very surprising. Religious affiliations I the US is at the lowest across board, assiduous attendance in orthodox churches simply hasn’t been a habit for a long time now, if it ever was.
It’s a small set of pretty disparate religious bodies scattered over large territories without state support or at least, cultural enclaves. Everything comes down to one’s personal determination and that’s not very sustainable.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I’m old enough to remember the time when this was “the fastest growing religion “, or at least that’s what the marketeers and apologists said. I’d say the statistics aren’t very surprising. Religious affiliations I the US is at the lowest across board, assiduous attendance in orthodox churches simply hasn’t been a habit for a long time now, if it ever was.
It’s a small set of pretty disparate religious bodies scattered over large territories without state support or at least, cultural enclaves. Everything comes down to one’s personal determination and that’s not very sustainable.
Even while inquiring, I always found it hard to believe that Orthodoxy was the "fastest growing religion/denomination". I still am not sure what metric they're using.

BasilCan

Reaction score
This is another well done and sobering report by Alexei Krindatch. While he does not report on Canada in any of his projects (I wish he would!) I believe his results would reflect a Canadian reality as well. Interestingly, Canada has continued to collect religious info by denomination and in 2011 over 550k identify as Orthodox (combined Eastern and Oriental) 2011 National Household Survey: Data tables – Religion (108), Immigrant Status and Period of Immigration (11), Age Groups (10) and Sex (3) for the Population in Private Households of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2011 National Household Survey (statcan.gc.ca)

The census does not, though, identify those who actually are members and attenders at their Orthodox parish. Of those 550K how many actually ever go to church?

The US does not collect census data by religion. Some sources put the US Orthodox at up to 3.5million. This may make sense if someone was to identify by the great thing about Krindatch's reports is it's based upon parish data and not some estimate.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Salvation isn't for everyone. Most people have a herd mentality and are comfortable heading towards predition.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Salvation isn't for everyone. Most people have a herd mentality and are comfortable heading towards predition.
It's easy. You don't even have to do much.

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Military-don't have the luxury to care
I'm under the impression that there is a relatively very recent trend of Orthodox internet evangelism that, if continued, may eventually soften or reverse this sad trend.
Hopefully.

I wonder how much of this trend is derived from those who've left the Church vs whatever the rate is of Orthodox people dying, especially the old. Just this year alone thirteen priests of the OCA have died to date. Maybe between the death rate and the evangelism rate we're evening out.

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Military-don't have the luxury to care
True. One thing I would like to see is for the OCMC to actually start working within America. They do great mission work worldwide, but, we have no unified pan-Orthodox effort at evangelism here in America
Agreed.

We also need to do more at the parish level. What's the point of being Orthodox if we don't do things like feed the hungry? People see all of Christianity as being a bunch of hypocrites when we see Evangelicals closing their mega-churches to the homeless during a time of hurricane. Sure, "we're not them", but we all get painted with the same brush and frankly, we Orthodox don't do much to help ourselves out.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Hopefully.

I wonder how much of this trend is derived from those who've left the Church vs whatever the rate is of Orthodox people dying, especially the old. Just this year alone thirteen priests of the OCA have died to date. Maybe between the death rate and the evangelism rate we're evening out.
I hadn't thought about it that way, Orthodoxy has a very young average for Christian denominations in the US, but still the new immigrant waves have been over for a long time, and now "cradles" are more and more the result of intergenerational transmission.