• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Use Of ἐπιμελέομαι Outside Patristics

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I'm trying to learn more about the word ἐπιμελέομαι in non-Orthodox contexts, but pretty much all my searches are turning up Bible commentaries (it's used only 3 times in the NT). Can anyone point out some places in the wider Greek corpus where this is used, particularly with enough context to discern whether it is a technical term or more widely intended for any form of oversight? Thanks!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
It is still in use, as are its derivatives, and refers to any form of oversight or diligence.

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Church of Greece
It is still in use, as are its derivatives, and refers to any form of oversight or diligence.
^This.
Military Logistics in Επιμελητεία (f.).
Caretaker is Επιμελητής (m.), Επιμελήτρια (f.).
An association of local business people, aka Chamber, is Επιμελητήριο (n.).
Α hardworking, studious, and assiduous person is Επιμελής (m. and f.), Επιμελές (n.).
The verb is the deponent Επιμελούμαι; in the ancient language it had also an uncontracted form: ἐπιμελέομαι (uncontracted), ἐπιμελοῦμαι (contracted).