• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Vamrat's and Achronos's Dating and Relationship Disasters Thread

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
If your dating life has only been marginally more successful than that time you accidentally shot yourself in the foot, share your stories here.

Achronos, would you like to start us off with your engagement disaster?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, where to begin, it was a day like any other day except this one was an unusually special day. I had encountered a girl at my workplace who was applying for a job and there was this mystical connection with her that I didn't feel about with anyone else. I didn't see her again until a few months. She later got hired and I was already smitten by infatuation with her, but unfourtantely she had a boyfriend.

Fast foward another few months and we finally began to start talking, and I slyly began to flirt with her and eventually asked her if I could take her out, which was not planned as a date.

Well fate served pretty well because her boyfriend was out of town on a hunting trip for a week. I was already concocting plans to take her to a Natural Science musuem, a movie, and a really nice restuarant for dinner.

To be continued...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
She was completely unaware of my plans, of course being the hopeless romantic that I am, and she was excellent at carrying conversations. Our first stop was that musuem, which she thought I was bored to death of (and to be honest it was a little boring, however I took her there because she was thinking about doing animal biology and considering the exhibits they had, it would be perfect) and we got to see a film in that same musuem. After that, we went to a steakhouse that I had already made reservations. At that point she blantly said this was a date and kept teasing me about it while chuckling. I insisted it wasn't, but in my heart I was trying to woo her over.

After that we chatted for a little bit in my car and then I took her home.

She later confessed, when we got into a relationship, that it was the best date she had ever been on and nobody had done anything like that to her. It completely confused her on if she wantd to stay with her current boyfriend or not.

There's that saying if you don't take care of your girlfriend don't be surprised when she leaves you for someone else that will.

And it was also that saying that bit me in the butt a year later.

To be continued...

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh btw, the reason why I have to have an exposition is to realize how disasterous my engagment was. So I'll get to the goods here soon.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos said:
How explicit can I get?
Despite denying ZZ entertainment I hope not at all. Perhaps this thread can be done in the style of Jane Austen. I read all of her books twice except Northanger Abbey which was boring. I am partial to Elizabeth Gaskell if you would like to take a more Unitarian approach.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Alright, deal me in.

She was from Boston, she had been previously engaged relatively recently before we got together, and quite frankly, I'm an idiot. There's the cliche "three strikes" right there. Do I really need to write more? I don't like Boston. I don't like the East Coast period. We fought about pretty much everything that it is possible to fight about, and several things that I am convinced were new topics of argument in the history of morons who shouldn't be anywhere near each other, let alone in a relationship. It was freaking terrible. At one point we had a serious argument about what does or does not qualify as a pizza side dish (yes, I know...I am an adult man and I am actually having a heated discussion about why having french fries with pizza is odd; I can't explain it but to say that when two people who don't really like each other in the first place and are stubborn find something that they disagree on, they'll run with it no matter how stupid it is). Between her threatening to burn me with a curling iron to me getting drunk every night for a week straight to not have to deal with how miserable the whole situation was, it is absolutely the best relationship to be several years and thousands of miles away from. I know that people say things about how you learn things from all relationships, especially the bad ones, and I agree. I would add, however, that you learn even more from relationships that leave physical scars on you, and this was one of those. :-\ Thankfully, the upside was that it was actually 100% mutual, as one day we looked at each other and said "I think we need to get as far away from each other as humanly possible, as soon as possible" (I can't remember which of us said it first, but it was an immediate "yes!" and we actually got along really well for a few days after that...relief and all). And so we did, and it was probably the best relationship-related decision I've ever made (cf. getting into that relationship in the first freaking place). I heard from her last October when my father got remarried, which was a bit of a surprise because it let me know that she reads my facebook, or at least did back then (even though I am not her friend on that), but whatever. I'm out of that craziness forever and that's all that matters.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
If your dating life has only been marginally more successful than that time you accidentally shot yourself in the foot, share your stories here.

I had a girlfriend who tried to run me over with a car when we broke up. Does that count?

I'm guessing that divorces, ipso facto, do not count.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
Achronos said:
How explicit can I get?
Despite denying ZZ entertainment I hope not at all. Perhaps this thread can be done in the style of Jane Austen. I read all of her books twice except Northanger Abbey which was boring. I am partial to Elizabeth Gaskell if you would like to take a more Unitarian approach.
The more I'm trying to recall my story, the more haunting it gets. I'm not sure if I want to relive certain parts of it.

Although my story is extremely humurous for spectators, but for me was soul crushing.

I may retract my whole story, so I'll sleep on it tonight.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
vamrat said:

I had a girlfriend who tried to run me over with a car when we broke up. Does that count?

Marriage is a relationship gone horribly wrong...so go for it!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
vamrat said:

Dude I had an ex-gf who tried to run me over with a car after I went to a strip club, WHEN SHE WANTED ME TO GO TO ONE! After I insisted I didn't want to go, she pushed me to go.

LOL what an insane night that was.

And I had the oppurtunity to bang that stripper as well, but I wanted to remain faithful...

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
ialmisry said:
vamrat said:

Marriage is a relationship gone horribly wrong...so go for it!
No, marriage is when it goes right.  Not even my horror story convinces me of otherwise.

EVOO

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ialmisry said:
vamrat said:

You bring out the best in people, Isa.  ;D

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
But really, who hasn't had some crazy woman try to run them over with her car? I had a stalker try to do that to me (and then a friend of mine, when I was semi-successfully avoiding this crazy girl for a few days, so she couldn't get to me) when I was a sophomore in high school...probably the first real attention I ever got from the fairer sex, too. Scary.

I do not like some of the things this thread is making me realize. :-[ I am starting to see a pattern here. Hahaha.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
But really, who hasn't had some crazy woman try to run them over with her car? I had a stalker try to do that to me (and then a friend of mine, when I was semi-successfully avoiding this crazy girl for a few days, so she couldn't get to me) when I was a sophomore in high school...probably the first real attention I ever got from the fairer sex, too. Scary.

I do not like some of the things this thread is making me realize. :-[ I am starting to see a pattern here. Hahaha.
FWIW, I've never had a crazy girl try to run over me in a car...at least not one that I was dating...that would require her to be able to keep the car operating long enough to try running me down... :mad:

Then again, EVERY car accident I have been in has involved a woman.  One of them was considered partially my fault, I hit her...after she ran into something else and I then skidded on the ice.  Other than that, I have had four other collisions, all of them involving women who managed to hit me.  Each time I was stationary.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Women don't know how to drive. It's amazing that their insurance is cheaper than men.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I'm glad I never had a relationship disaster! 

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
i travelled halfway across europe just to spend a few hours with a friend (he happened to be male) whose country was (sort of) on my way home.
i thought we were just friends. seriously, i didn't have any romantic ideas about him at all.
he tried to touch my bottom.
:eek:
i was confused... don't all good friends just travel thousands of miles just to see each other?
what made him think i was up for anything romantic?!
:-\
boy, was i naive!
(sorry, broken hearted european guy, i hope u since got over it and married and had 6 kids...)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I am just glad to see the women vilifying garbage found an outlet somewhere in a thread without my name on it.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Oh, Mabsoota...we need a chuckling embarrassed emoticon for times like this. I certainly wouldn't apologize to the guy, but you're a much nicer person than I am. Then again, if a guy ever tried to touch my butt, I'd be a lot more confused than you could ever be. ;D

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Everyone is hurt sometimes. I am sorry it happened to you. It's too bad if you let it burn you out on a whole group of people. I had to learn that lesson as regards my relationships with men. I am fighting against my sin of judgement. I fail all the time, and I have to start over all the time. I have to pull my brain out of the 'everyone is the same' ditch. Why are women whatever they are, and why are men whatever they are? Shoot, I don't know. That is a mystery.

Ergib

Reaction score
mabsoota said:
i thought we were just friends. seriously, i didn't have any romantic ideas about him at all.
i was confused... don't all good friends just travel thousands of miles just to see each other?
Friendship with the opposite sex barely works! :)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ergib said:
mabsoota said:
It doesn't. Not in the classical notion of friendship. The contemporary notion of friendship, it is nothing but duplicitous disaster.

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I was training a gentleman at work who informed me that he was going to propose to a girl he wasn't even dating, who also had plans to move to Asia for a year. Needless to say, that did not go well and I'm still trying to figure out what in the world he was thinking.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
mabsoota said:
i travelled halfway across europe just to spend a few hours with a friend (he happened to be male) whose country was (sort of) on my way home.
:-\
boy, was i naive!
(sorry, broken hearted european guy, i hope u since got over it and married and had 6 kids...)
Harry broke this truth to Sally long ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVO3pFVVoI

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Agia Marina said:
ialmisry said:
vamrat said:

You bring out the best in people, Isa.  ;D
Yes. The problem is the best is only a few sips deep, and then the dregs...

But I learn my lesson (both chased after me afterwards. No thanks).

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Everyone is hurt sometimes. I am sorry it happened to you. It's too bad if you let it burn you out on a whole group of people. I had to learn that lesson as regards my relationships with men. I am fighting against my sin of judgement. I fail all the time, and I have to start over all the time. I have to pull my brain out of the 'everyone is the same' ditch. Why are women whatever they are, and why are men whatever they are? Shoot, I don't know. That is a mystery.
Feel free to share your disasters!  That's what this thread is here for.  I realize that misandry is so mainstream it makes it's way into most sitcoms and commercials, but perhaps your stories are exceptionally awesome?  Then we can all laugh about them together.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
I am just glad to see the women vilifying garbage found an outlet somewhere in a thread without my name on it.
You're welcome!  It's the least I could do for my favorite OC.net philosopher!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sleeper said:
I was training a gentleman at work who informed me that he was going to propose to a girl he wasn't even dating, who also had plans to move to Asia for a year. Needless to say, that did not go well and I'm still trying to figure out what in the world he was thinking.
Hahaha can I get more background to that story? Guy must have truly had love at first sight.

Sleeper

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Sleeper said:
Hahaha can I get more background to that story? Guy must have truly had love at first sight.
He was basically a super-evangelical type of Christian, with plans to be a pastor. His friend was single and they went to Church together at some point, I think, and so his reasoning was something like, "She knows what I'm all about so I don't see why she'd say no." So he bought a ring and, if I remember correctly, asked her to marry him over the phone.  :laugh: Poor guy.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ROFL, that's incredible. Get him to sign up for an account here, I want to hear his thoughts on dating, relationships, women, hell make that everything.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Is it considered a date when one of your female friends has her hot friend from Texas in town visiting and invites you to meet up with them? In any case, how should I prepare for this?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
orthonorm said:
Ergib said:
mabsoota said:
It doesn't. Not in the classical notion of friendship. The contemporary notion of friendship, it is nothing but duplicitous disaster.
Can you expand on that?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
All right back to me. Next weekend I've been invited to see a movie with one of my female friends and her hot friend visiting from Texas. I'll be the only boy there with two girls :))) What should I do? How should I prevent this from turning into a disaster?