• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Vasectomy Parties

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Just heard about this, though it has been happening for a while apparently...

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/10/12/instead-of-baby-showers-young-couples-celebrate-childless-families-with-vasectomy-parties/

The Daily Mail reports “vasectomy parties” are a growing trend among childless couples as a way to celebrate the style of living people can have without children. One party invitation asked friends to come celebrate the sterilization procedure in “a house filled with sharp furniture and exposed outlets,” according to The Sun.

Other couples have hosted car or boat “showers” to celebrate the luxury vehicles that couples say they could not have afforded if they had children. Some are adapting baby shower themes and games for the parties, too. A picture from one party showed a jar labeled “Baby Name Suggestions,” only the word “Baby” was crossed out and replaced with “Boat.”
and

The 2012 survey found that 42 percent of students planned to have children, down from 78 percent in 1992.
Lord have mercy.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
LifeNews quoting the Daily Mail? Come on now. ::)

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ummm.....I don't know about you, but I've never even actually had someone tell me they have had a vasectomy, let alone celebrate it by throwing a party.

Daniel2:47

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
Liberals will be the first to the hangman's noose when the Religion of Peace's adherents win power in Europe. They voted for it when they celebrated the triumph of normalising their "child-free" lifestyle.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
White people are weird.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Daniel2:47 said:
Liberals will be the first to the hangman's noose when the Religion of Peace's adherents win power in Europe. They voted for it when they celebrated the triumph of normalising their "child-free" lifestyle.
You're kidding, right?  The entirety of Christianity is the normalization of the celibate life - that pretty much necessitates the "'child-free' lifestyle."

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
JamesRottnek said:
You're kidding, right?  The entirety of Christianity is the normalization of the celibate life - that pretty much necessitates the "'child-free' lifestyle."
I think you'll find that in traditional Christianity there are two respectable and valid paths - celibacy or marriage. In marriage, having children is normative (biological difficulties excepted) and is blessed as our ancestors were instructed in Genesis 1. This anti-children mentality of 20th and 21st century Western culture is anti-Christian and spits in the face of traditional Christian teaching:

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!
- Psalm 127

It was the ancient pagans who despised children and left unwanted babies out in the cold. Christianity knows no such thing.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
Matthew 19:12
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
These "child-free" couples are not celibates, neither do they live as brother and sister for the sake of Christ, but only to fulfil their worldly ambitions of prosperity, to avoid responsibility, and to gratify their lusts without any desire whatsoever for a fruitful marriage.

This is the very opposite of Christian marriage.

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Philadelphia
I couldn't imagine having a sterilization procedure, much less celebrating it.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
This just in:  Couples that can't or won't have children still have sex with each other. 

Rohzek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
mike said:
Rohzek said:
This is morally reprehensible.
How?
While I'm all for people spacing out their children or whatnot via birth control, to entirely forgo children on purpose reeks of selfishness and abrogates an integral part of marriage.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
mike said:
White people are weird.
Americans are weird. No one in their right mind would do something like that around here. No matter how lesbian, liberal, feminist or whatnot they may be.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
Americans are weird. No one in their right mind would do something like that around here. No matter how lesbian, liberal, feminist or whatnot they may be.
You assume that anything in the original report is factual. Consider the source.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
I'll tell you, they are much better than the tube tying party I went to last week. Way fewer balloon animals.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
JamesRottnek said:
Hyperbole much?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
You assume that anything in the original report is factual. Consider the source.
I know someone who has actually had one of these vasectomy parties.  I declined to go.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
Even the source considered this wouldn't be the first time when American liberal groups are weird even by their European counterparts' standards.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
Even the source considered this wouldn't be the first time when American liberal groups are weird even by their European counterparts' standards.
The event is reported by a Russian 'news agency' quoting a British tabloid that quotes another British tabloid. ::)

truthseeker32

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOA-Denver
I was going to have a vasectomy party, but it was hard to get up that day.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
The event is reported by a Russian 'news agency' quoting a British tabloid that quotes another British tabloid. ::)
And Americans still are weird.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
And Americans still are weird.
At least those who feel they must one-up British yellow press.

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
Yes it is the Russians. They behind everything... :)

From 2014:

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/conception/fertility/the-rise-of-the-vasectomy-party-20140303-33ws6

“My wife was on her way out to a baby shower and I said, ‘As all the girls are getting together to celebrate a new baby, why shouldn’t all the boys get together when I hang up my boots?’” says the 43-year-old dad of two.

“It seemed like a good excuse for a party.”

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
vorgos said:
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/conception/fertility/the-rise-of-the-vasectomy-party-20140303-33ws6

“My wife was on her way out to a baby shower and I said, ‘As all the girls are getting together to celebrate a new baby, why shouldn’t all the boys get together when I hang up my boots?’” says the 43-year-old dad of two.

“It seemed like a good excuse for a party.”
Hardly 'a celebration of the child-free lifestyle', then. :)

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!
- Psalm 127

It was the ancient pagans who despised children and left unwanted babies out in the cold. Christianity knows no such thing.
Sadly Christian people will quote this at you and then ask you when you're "getting fixed" if you have more than two kids.  Older Christian people, not younger.  It gets abused in the other direction, though, too--used for militant procreation ideologies. 

The article seems to use this V party phenomenon to springboard into a positive message, though...
The research seemed to indicate that, whether before birth or after, parents and their children are not receiving the support they deserve from society. The lack of support appears to be more than just financial, though, given America’s current prosperity.

There appears to be a cultural push against having children. The women’s magazine Marie Claire recently published an article about a growing movement of women who say they regret having children. Disturbingly, the article seemed to point to the children as the problem rather than a dearth of support for struggling moms.
They don't cite the article, admittedly.  But I second the "lack of support" criticism.  One is great, two is fine, more than that and you must be crazy.  Especially if you are actually happy about it (planned or not).  I don't think there should be pressure the other way, either.  People are blessed in different ways and that's ok and it's very personal.  This conversation diverges from there though, because we have the worldly track and the faithful track.  The world does not recognized blessings as blessings, so we can expect it to reject God's blessings and dance about it.  But in my opinion, the faithful should neither reject His blessings nor celebrate such a rejection.  The balancing factor is stewardship; I'm not proposing some kind of all-you-can-eat blessing buffet.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
JamesRottnek said:
Hyperbole much?
No.  Maybe a hint of hyperbole, but what I said is pretty much right.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
JamesRottnek said:
scamandrius said:
JamesRottnek said:
Hyperbole much?
No.  Maybe a hint of hyperbole, but what I said is pretty much right.
JamesRottnek said:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I can't decide whether to poke fun at this with a kidney stone party joke, or a reverse vasectomy party crasher joke.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/11/11/man-gets-chopstick-lodged-in-penis.html

Ouch!

Maybe trying to do his own vasectomy party.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
?
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
Arachne said:
Alpo said:
mike said:
White people are weird.
I shall henceforth start getting my information from The Huffington Post.

truthseeker32 said:
I was going to have a vasectomy party, but it was hard to get up that day.
HEHEHEHE.

Now, really, you get mutilated - what's there to celebrate?
As pointed by Daniel, having children is a key part of marriage, so it's messed up that people turn relations that are supposed to give them children into fruitless humping.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
If these couples are so self centered that buying themselves a luxury car is more important then having a child, they probably shouldn't be having children anyway.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
vorgos said:

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/10/12/instead-of-baby-showers-young-couples-celebrate-childless-families-with-vasectomy-parties/

The Daily Mail reports “vasectomy parties” are a growing trend among childless couples as a way to celebrate the style of living people can have without children. One party invitation asked friends to come celebrate the sterilization procedure in “a house filled with sharp furniture and exposed outlets,” according to The Sun.

Other couples have hosted car or boat “showers” to celebrate the luxury vehicles that couples say they could not have afforded if they had children. Some are adapting baby shower themes and games for the parties, too. A picture from one party showed a jar labeled “Baby Name Suggestions,” only the word “Baby” was crossed out and replaced with “Boat.”
and

The 2012 survey found that 42 percent of students planned to have children, down from 78 percent in 1992.
Lord have mercy.
Hyperbole, falsehood, or not, this report still provides wonderful imagery for what's going on in Western society -- a sizable contingent, straight and gay, is ostentatiously choosing extinction.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
vorgos said:

and

Lord have mercy.
Heartbreaking.

Selam

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
This shift in family planning is noticeable in housing developments as well. Where as before a couple would buy a large property with a large house and with a large front and back yard, today these large pieces of land are cleared and town-houses or apartment complexes are being built in them. Mayors and city planners are going to have their hands full in the decades to come...

Flying cars can't come soon enough... :)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
vorgos said:
This shift in family planning is noticeable in housing developments as well. Where as before a couple would buy a large property with a large house and with a large front and back yard, today these large pieces of land are cleared and town-houses or apartment complexes are being built in them. Mayors and city planners are going to have their hands full in the decades to come...
Define large. :)

vorgos said:
Flying Solar cars can't come soon enough... :)
Fixed it for you. 8)