Vatican Continues to bless ‘Uniatism and Sheep Stealing’ in India

Reaction score
Website
www.theorthodoxchurch.info
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/10/vatican-continues-to-bless-uniatism-and-sheep-stealing-in-india/

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
theorthodoxchurch said:
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/10/vatican-continues-to-bless-uniatism-and-sheep-stealing-in-india/
That article is anything but a news article; it is a rather confused diatribe.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I fail too see the reason for outrage. Indians are free to believe in Catholic doctrines if they want to.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Alpo said:
I fail too see the reason for outrage. Indians are free to believe in Catholic doctrines if they want to.
the outrage is the process.  it is the same outrage that orthodox christians have when protestants go to traditionally orthodox countries because orthodox christianity is a "heathen "religion in their opinion. 

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Note that heirarchs of Eastern Catholic Churches can claim titles even before the Vatican bestows it on them.  His Beatitude Sviatoslav of the UGCC is referred to as a Patriarch within his Church (we commemorate him as such during Liturgy) even though his official title from the Vatican is Major Archbishop.  Other bishops of different Churches would refer to him as Patriarch as well.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Alpo said:
the outrage is the process.  it is the same outrage that orthodox christians have when protestants go to traditionally orthodox countries because orthodox christianity is a "heathen "religion in their opinion. 
I don't see anything wrong with that either. Protestants and Catholics are wrong but they are free to be in error if they want to.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Alpo said:
serb1389 said:
Alpo said:
I don't see anything wrong with that either. Protestants and Catholics are wrong but they are free to be in error if they want to.
So no concern over people being drawn away from the Church and into error?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
Alpo said:
serb1389 said:
Alpo said:
So no concern over people being drawn away from the Church and into error?
More like concern over freedom of religion and double standards.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
^ my concern is with churches that call themselves christian, behaving like christians.  Guess we are starting from different points. 
If they are behaving like Christians, what is the problem then?

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
choy said:
serb1389 said:
^ my concern is with churches that call themselves christian, behaving like christians.  Guess we are starting from different points. 
If they are behaving like Christians, what is the problem then?
Sorry I wasn't clear in my typing.  I mean that they call themselves Christians, ACTUALLY behaving like Christians.  Which in this case they are not

choy

Archon
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Sorry I wasn't clear in my typing.  I mean that they call themselves Christians, ACTUALLY behaving like Christians.   Which in this case they are not
If they are ACTUALLY behaving like Christians, then they are Christians, right?  "Whoever is not against us is for us."

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
choy said:
serb1389 said:
Sorry I wasn't clear in my typing.  I mean that they call themselves Christians, ACTUALLY behaving like Christians.   Which in this case they are not
If they are ACTUALLY behaving like Christians, then they are Christians, right?  "Whoever is not against us is for us."
Well what you are asking is actually a much bigger question.  I tend to ride with the Spermatikos Logos theology of St. Justin Martyr, as a response to whether or not all people have the ability to be good & to be good Christians.  Then we get into the issue of ethics.  But in order to engage in ethics we must first agree that ethics are not personal but rather more universal.  If we take a look at the 10 commandments for example, we are told to not covet our neighbors things.  Here we have our neighbor, covering our things.  Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church

choy

Archon
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Well what you are asking is actually a much bigger question.  I tend to ride with the Spermatikos Logos theology of St. Justin Martyr, as a response to whether or not all people have the ability to be good & to be good Christians.  Then we get into the issue of ethics.  But in order to engage in ethics we must first agree that ethics are not personal but rather more universal.  If we take a look at the 10 commandments for example, we are told to not covet our neighbors things.  Here we have our neighbor, covering our things.  Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church
And that is my question.  You say they actually act like Christians.  So it shouldn't be a problem if they are in the Catholic Church or they are in the Orthodox Church.  If they are good Christians, so what?

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
  Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church
That is the claim.  Where is the proof?  The article doesn't even talk about sheep stealing, only about the Archbishop using the title Catholicos.  Why this would entice anyone to join the Syro-Malankar Catholic Church I have no idea.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Deacon Lance said:
serb1389 said:
  Orthodox Christians being brought to the Catholic church
That is the claim.  Where is the proof?  The article doesn't even talk about sheep stealing, only about the Archbishop using the title Catholicos.  Why this would entice anyone to join the Syro-Malankar Catholic Church I have no idea.
I was going to say the same and note that many of us Orthodox are rightfully upset when the UGCC appropriates the title of Patriarch for their leader (without the 'imprimatur' of Rome) - especially since there is no parallel Patriarch within Orthodoxy (at least within the canonical Church - and there probably should be one for that matter). I seriously doubt that Orthodox faithful in regions where there are two or even three Patriarchs are confused by the use of the title by a churchman other than their own.  There are many issues between Orthodoxy and the Roman Church over the unions, this is not really a big one in my mind.