• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

venerating saints

Altar Server

High Elder
Reaction score
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Would it be okay to venerate a Saint a Martyr from the 2-3 century who as far as I can tell is not officially venerated in the Orthodox Church?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
IMO yes. Who is he?

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
In your private devotion you can venerate anyone you want, even non-Orthodox people you felt were holy in their lives. And Orthodox martyrs especially, that's just fine, from what I've heard.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Ditto what has been said... yes, who is he? private devotion just fine...

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
bogdan said:
In your private devotion you can venerate anyone you want, even non-Orthodox people you felt were holy in their lives. And Orthodox martyrs especially, that's just fine, from what I've heard.
You can venerate non-Orthodox?

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Altar Server said:
Genesius of Rome (I think I spelled that right)
There are 4 Genesius on the Orthodox Calendar

3 June
1 November
25 August
11 October

Do you know if your Saint is one of these?

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Calendar/St.%20Hilarion%20Calendar%202003%20Part%202.pdf

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
JamesRottnek said:
bogdan said:
If we are talking about people who led orthodox lives but were not officially affiliated with the Eastern Orthodox Church, then as far as I know yes (St. Isaac the Syrian is perhaps the best example).

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
JamesRottnek said:
bogdan said:
If we are talking about people who led orthodox lives but were not officially affiliated with the Eastern Orthodox Church, then as far as I know yes (St. Isaac the Syrian is perhaps the best example).
I remember that a very credible rebuttal to this is contained in the lengthy introduction to Saint Isaac's "Ascetical Homilies" published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery in 1984.  But it is so long since I have read it that the substance of their arguments has slipped my mind.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The OrthodoxWiki article is pretty helpful:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Genesius_of_Rome

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Irish Hermit said:
I remember that a very credible rebuttal to this is contained in the lengthy introduction to Saint Isaac's "Ascetical Homilies" published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery in 1984.  But it is so long since I have read it that the substance of their arguments has slipped my mind.
Interesting, whenever I get something by/about St. Isaac I will try to get this particular translation so I can read about this.