• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Viaticum in the Eastern Church?

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
1,694
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Grace and Peace,

Is there a tradition of Viaticum in the Eastern Church?
 

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
7,989
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
41
Location
Wisconsin, USA
What do you mean by viaticum? The prayer of St. Ambrose before communion calls the holy gifts themselves a viaticum. Or do you mean last rites? If you mean last rites, there is certainly a tradition of confession and communion before death, if it's at all possible and an Orthodox priest is available.
 

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
1,694
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Shanghaiski said:
What do you mean by viaticum? The prayer of St. Ambrose before communion calls the holy gifts themselves a viaticum. Or do you mean last rites? If you mean last rites, there is certainly a tradition of confession and communion before death, if it's at all possible and an Orthodox priest is available.
I was inquiring about 'Last Rites'...
 

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Yes, it is ideal to partake of the Eucharist before death if possible. This is taken from the reserved Gifts stored in the Tabernacle, which are also given to the sick and aged who cannot attend the Liturgy.

Holy Unction is also often given, but unlike the practice of Roman Catholicism (as I understand it), it is not particularly reserved for the time of death, as it can and should be administered in all times of illness.

There is also the Office at the Departure of the Soul from the Body. I believe it is only read after the person dies, however. I'm not aware of special prayers that are read to the person while they are in the final throes, as the Western tradition has. (Though I have heard of the Psalter being read in these times.)
 

podkarpatska

Merarches
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northeast United States
Website
www.acrod.org
To add to Bogdan's post, it should be noted that due to the Western influences on our culture and the fact that for centuries many Slavic Orthodox in this country labored under the Unia and its creeping Latinizations, many Orthodox faithful today will erringly refer to the need to call the priest for the 'last rites' at the time someone is dying. We pray in our Liturgy for a 'Christian end to our life' and that has always been explained to me in the ideal as having confessed our sins, received the Eucharist, having partaken in the Holy Unction and being in a peaceful place with family at our sides.

So, in the end, while there are some differences in theology between Orthodoxy's understanding of Holy Unction and that of the Roman Church, the differences are not as deep as some may want them to appear as I suspect that a faithful Roman Catholic's view of a Christian death is the same as I have described.
 

Wyatt

Archon
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
2,467
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
32
Location
Illinois, US
bogdan said:
Holy Unction is also often given, but unlike the practice of Roman Catholicism (as I understand it), it is not particularly reserved for the time of death, as it can and should be administered in all times of illness.
Only administering Anointing of the Sick (Unction) before death was the older practice, but now the Sacrament is much more commonly given within the Catholic Church. People are anointed before going in for surgery and I am sure there are many other reasons that the Sacrament is given. When I was in RCIA preparing to become Catholic I remember our director of religious education at the time saying that the Sacrament could even be given to bring about spiritual healing. I am not sure whether that is very common or if he was just stating an opinion.
 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,691
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
45
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Wyatt said:
bogdan said:
Holy Unction is also often given, but unlike the practice of Roman Catholicism (as I understand it), it is not particularly reserved for the time of death, as it can and should be administered in all times of illness.
Only administering Anointing of the Sick (Unction) before death was the older practice, but now the Sacrament is much more commonly given within the Catholic Church. People are anointed before going in for surgery and I am sure there are many other reasons that the Sacrament is given. When I was in RCIA preparing to become Catholic I remember our director of religious education at the time saying that the Sacrament could even be given to bring about spiritual healing. I am not sure whether that is very common or if he was just stating an opinion.
The RC church near my house used to have monthly Unction and the priest specifically included "spiritual healing" in his pre-anointment sermon as reasons for approaching. 
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Missouri, USA
Why does everybody approach for the Mystery of Unction on Holy Wednesday? Shouldn't this be reserved for physical sickness, as everyone has "spiritual sickness"?
 

Maria

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 8, 2003
Messages
14,023
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Alveus Lacuna said:
Why does everybody approach for the Mystery of Unction on Holy Wednesday? Shouldn't this be reserved for physical sickness, as everyone has "spiritual sickness"?
At the Holy Wednesday Matins service in the Greek tradition (Greeks and Antiochians), the prayers for forgiveness of sins are read just before the Priests administer Holy Unction to all Orthodox Christians in good standing who have been baptized, chrismated, and have been married in the Holy Orthodox Church.

There are 7 Epistles and 7 Gospels read during the Holy Wednesday Evening Service. It is beautiful and very healing for soul and body.
 

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
7,989
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
41
Location
Wisconsin, USA
Maria said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
Why does everybody approach for the Mystery of Unction on Holy Wednesday? Shouldn't this be reserved for physical sickness, as everyone has "spiritual sickness"?
At the Holy Wednesday Matins service in the Greek tradition (Greeks and Antiochians), the prayers for forgiveness of sins are read just before the Priests administer Holy Unction to all Orthodox Christians in good standing who have been baptized, chrismated, and have been married in the Holy Orthodox Church.

There are 7 Epistles and 7 Gospels read during the Holy Wednesday Evening Service. It is beautiful and very healing for soul and body.
Like communion, unction is for "the healing of soul and body." We don't separate them. The separation of soul and body at death is itself unnatural and the result of the fall. Why would/should people be denied unction?
 

Wyatt

Archon
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
2,467
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
32
Location
Illinois, US
Schultz said:
Wyatt said:
bogdan said:
Holy Unction is also often given, but unlike the practice of Roman Catholicism (as I understand it), it is not particularly reserved for the time of death, as it can and should be administered in all times of illness.
Only administering Anointing of the Sick (Unction) before death was the older practice, but now the Sacrament is much more commonly given within the Catholic Church. People are anointed before going in for surgery and I am sure there are many other reasons that the Sacrament is given. When I was in RCIA preparing to become Catholic I remember our director of religious education at the time saying that the Sacrament could even be given to bring about spiritual healing. I am not sure whether that is very common or if he was just stating an opinion.
The RC church near my house used to have monthly Unction and the priest specifically included "spiritual healing" in his pre-anointment sermon as reasons for approaching. 
That's good to hear. I am glad that was not just something out of our DRE's mind. It was hard to be sure because he wasn't exactly always orthodox (small 'o') in his beliefs. Do you guys also believe, like we do, that Unction also brings remission of sins in addition to the possibility of physical healing? I remember we derive that teaching from the Epistle of St. James I believe.
 

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Alveus Lacuna said:
Why does everybody approach for the Mystery of Unction on Holy Wednesday? Shouldn't this be reserved for physical sickness, as everyone has "spiritual sickness"?
As well as healing, Holy Unction is also given for the forgiveness of sins, as the prayers of consecration say. It is a very appropriate way to enter upon the final part of Holy Week, I think. And as was noted, it is for both soul and body.
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,795
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Chicago
Christ is risen!
Wyatt said:
Schultz said:
Wyatt said:
bogdan said:
Holy Unction is also often given, but unlike the practice of Roman Catholicism (as I understand it), it is not particularly reserved for the time of death, as it can and should be administered in all times of illness.
Only administering Anointing of the Sick (Unction) before death was the older practice, but now the Sacrament is much more commonly given within the Catholic Church. People are anointed before going in for surgery and I am sure there are many other reasons that the Sacrament is given. When I was in RCIA preparing to become Catholic I remember our director of religious education at the time saying that the Sacrament could even be given to bring about spiritual healing. I am not sure whether that is very common or if he was just stating an opinion.
The RC church near my house used to have monthly Unction and the priest specifically included "spiritual healing" in his pre-anointment sermon as reasons for approaching.  
That's good to hear. I am glad that was not just something out of our DRE's mind. It was hard to be sure because he wasn't exactly always orthodox (small 'o') in his beliefs. Do you guys also believe, like we do, that Unction also brings remission of sins in addition to the possibility of physical healing? I remember we derive that teaching from the Epistle of St. James I believe.
Yes. Somewhere we have a thread on the issue of some receiving unction instead of going to confession.  Many only go to communion on Great and Holy Thursday, as the Unction is blessed on Great and Holy Wednesday.  I make a point of when we go (the Romanian Patriarchal cathedral has unction every first Friday of the month) to tell my sons that they do not need to go to confession.  Conversely, they received unction after confession this Holy Week.

Btw, in the original Greek there is an interplay between the words for "oil" and "mercy" which come from the same root in Greek.
 

bogdan

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Wyatt said:
Schultz said:
Wyatt said:
bogdan said:
Holy Unction is also often given, but unlike the practice of Roman Catholicism (as I understand it), it is not particularly reserved for the time of death, as it can and should be administered in all times of illness.
Only administering Anointing of the Sick (Unction) before death was the older practice, but now the Sacrament is much more commonly given within the Catholic Church. People are anointed before going in for surgery and I am sure there are many other reasons that the Sacrament is given. When I was in RCIA preparing to become Catholic I remember our director of religious education at the time saying that the Sacrament could even be given to bring about spiritual healing. I am not sure whether that is very common or if he was just stating an opinion.
The RC church near my house used to have monthly Unction and the priest specifically included "spiritual healing" in his pre-anointment sermon as reasons for approaching. 
That's good to hear. I am glad that was not just something out of our DRE's mind. It was hard to be sure because he wasn't exactly always orthodox (small 'o') in his beliefs. Do you guys also believe, like we do, that Unction also brings remission of sins in addition to the possibility of physical healing? I remember we derive that teaching from the Epistle of St. James I believe.
Yes, and I have been told that we must approach with much the same reverence as Holy Communion (having been to confession, repentent, etc.)
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,795
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Chicago
Christ is risen!
Alveus Lacuna said:
Why does everybody approach for the Mystery of Unction on Holy Wednesday? Shouldn't this be reserved for physical sickness, as everyone has "spiritual sickness"?
Be pro-active.
 
Top