• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Visual Commentary on Scripture (free /online)

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
This interesting project was launched by Howard and Roberta Ahmanson who were also behind the Ancient Christian Commentary.

Site Menu: https://thevcs.org/overview

"The Visual Commentary on Scripture (VCS) is a freely accessible online publication that provides theological commentary on the Bible in dialogue with works of art. It helps its users to (re)discover the Bible in new ways through the illuminating interaction of artworks, scriptural texts, and commissioned commentaries.
The VCS combines three academic disciplines: theology, art history, and biblical scholarship. While the project’s main commitment is to theology, it is responsibly informed by the latter two disciplines.
Each section of the VCS is a virtual exhibition comprising a biblical passage, three art works, and their associated commentaries. The curators of each exhibition select artworks that they consider will open up the biblical texts for interpretation, and/or offer new perspectives on themes the texts address. The commentaries explain and interpret the relationships between the works of art and the scriptural text.
The virtual exhibitions of the VCS aim to facilitate new possibilities of seeing and reading so that the biblical text and the selected works of art come alive in new and vivid ways."

Introductory Video:

Example:

Last edited:

Irish45

Reaction score
This is really cool! As a visual learner, I thoroughly appreciate this endeavor, thanks for the share!

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Am finding some of the commentary atrocious -more about socio-political ethical, sexual etc. visions and values of the writers and much less about the text or canon of the literature being used as a podium for other concerns. Perhaps my observation is somewhat unfair as I have not read all or even most of the offerings, but at this rate I won't be back much except possibly for visual images.

Irish45

Reaction score
Am finding some of the commentary atrocious -more about socio-political ethical, sexual etc. visions and values of the writers and much less about the text or canon of the literature being used as a podium for other concerns. Perhaps my observation is somewhat unfair as I have not read all or even most of the offerings, but at this rate I won't be back much except possibly for visual images.
That’s disappointing :(