Wake Up To The Myth of a Judeo-Christian Tradition

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
"Reviewing the last two thousand years of Western Christian history there is really no evidence of a Judeo-Christian tradition and this has not escaped the attention of honest Christian and Jewish commentators."

<a href=http://snippits-and-slappits.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/wake-up-to-myth-of-judeo-christian.html>Wake Up To The Myth of a Judeo-Christian Tradition</a>

The Judeo-Christian Tradition is basically an American disease of the soul which has unfortunately spread to all corners of the western world and in my recent experience has found a home is some western Orthodox converts. The roots of the Judeo-Christian Tradition can be found in the Jewish Christianity of the first century and later in Arianism.

Christianity ≠ Judaism!

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
I have really never understood the term judeo-christian. Why can't we just be christians?

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Just for the record, I have never understood the term helleno-christian either. It seems to imply that Christianity owes its existence to a single culture.

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
<a href=http://www.jewishpress.com/blogs/yoris-news-clips/theres-no-such-thing-as-judeo-christian-values/2012/12/24/>There’s No Such Thing as Judeo-Christian Values</a>

From a Jewish perspective.

“Judeo-Christian” is as valid a concept as happy-joylessness, or tall dwarves."

"Jews and Christians differ on every single fundamental principle—even on the meaning of core Scriptural texts. More crucially, Christians rely on the Old Testament for legal delineation; whereas Jews rely solely upon our rabbinic tradition. We never, ever turn to our Bible for legal guidance, only to our rabbinic literature. To suggest that our Sages had anything at all in common with the likes of Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Carter or Pat Robertson is a slap in the face of 2500 years of scholarship."

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Uh-oh. I can smell a "Greeks are the center of the universe" thread in the making .....  ::)

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
Ansgar said:
Just for the record, I have never understood the term helleno-christian either. It seems to imply that Christianity owes its existence to a single culture.
The term Helleno-Christian has more validity for us Gentiles/Greeks as it implies the universality of Christianity. Unfortunately the term itself has, as you rightly point out, has come to imply Greek ethnicity, culture and nationalism rather than the Hellenistic universalism it originally meant.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I just can't see how the term "hellenic" can be considered universal. The word hellenic means something that relates to Greece or greeks.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
*sings* ♫ "The best part of waking up... is hellenic threads on oc.net..." ♫

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
Ansgar said:
I'm sorry, but I just can't see how the term "hellenic" can be considered universal. The word hellenic means something that relates to Greece or greeks.
Hellenic isnt universal it's ethnic and Hellenistic does not mean the same thing as Hellenic, it came into use after Alexander the Great and refers to the muti-ethnic world of the Greek Empire. Hellenic = Ethnic / Hellenistic = Universal. Which is why the Jews regard everyone else as Greeks and why Gentile and Greek came to mean the same thing.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
Hellenic isnt universal it's ethnic and Hellenistic does not mean the same thing as Hellenic, it came into use after Alexander the Great and refers to the muti-ethnic world of the Greek Empire. Hellenic = Ethnic / Hellenistic = Universal. Which is why the Jews regard everyone else as Greeks and why Gentile and Greek came to mean the same thing.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hellenistic

I would say that christianity owes much to both jewish and hellenic culture.

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
Ansgar said:
I would say that christianity owes much to both jewish and hellenic culture.
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenism>Hellenism Wikipedia</a>

Persian + Hellenic = Hellenistic
Egyptian + Hellenic = Hellenistic
Jewish + Hellenic = Hellenistic

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Not all jews at the time of Christ werre hellenic.

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
Ansgar said:
Most Jews wouldnt have been, certainly not the Sadducees but Hellenistic forms of Judaism did exist as exemplified by Philo. Galilee was a Hellenised country which is why the Jews called it Galilee of the Gentiles.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
Most Jews wouldnt have been, certainly not the Sadducees but Hellenistic forms of Judaism did exist as exemplified by Philo. Galilee was a Hellenised country which is why the Jews called it Galilee of the Gentiles.
Yes, but since most jews were not hellenized, Christianity still sprung up in a jewish culture. It's theology has its origins in the jewish faith.

Reaction score
Hellenism rather than this Judeo-Christian myth is so obvious in the Gospe    ::), I mean ponder this familiar passage:

Mark 12:28-34
King James Version (KJV)

28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
Ansgar said:
Yes, but since most jews were not hellenized, Christianity still sprung up in a jewish culture. It's theology has its origins in the jewish faith.
Apart from the fact that Christianity emerged in Galilee not Judaea. Well of course it sprung up in a Jewish context as part of a wider Hellenistic gentile world yet it was from the start a stand-alone religion and not a sect of Judaism. Orthodox Christian theology would not be possible without Hellenistic learning; the Trinity and incarnation are simply not possible in Judaism, no way not ever.

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
recent convert said:
Hellenism rather than this Judeo-Christian myth is so obvious in the Gospe    ::),
Of course, it was written in Greek (Hellenic) by a Greek (Hellenistic) speaking author preaching to Greeks (Gentiles). ::)

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
Apart from the fact that Christianity emerged in Galilee not Judaea. Well of course it sprung up in a Jewish context as part of a wider Hellenistic gentile world yet it was from the start a stand-alone religion and not a sect of Judaism. Orthodox Christian theology would not be possible without Hellenistic learning; the Trinity and incarnation are simply not possible in Judaism, no way not ever.
You make it sound as if the Trinity couldn't exist without hellenism.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Why do we keep having stupid threads like this?  Anyone with a basic understanding of history can clearly see that Christianity has significant roots in both Jewish and Greek thought.  This is not a new discovery.

Reaction score
Pericles said:
recent convert said:
Hellenism rather than this Judeo-Christian myth is so obvious in the Gospe    ::),
Of course, it was written in Greek (Hellenic) by a Greek (Hellenistic) speaking author preaching to Greeks (Gentiles). ::)
Perhaps like His "brothe"r, St. James and His mother the Virgin Mary?  ::) 

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
Ansgar said:
The theological doctrine of the trinity couldn't have existed without Hellenistic Philosophy, in Helllenistic philosophy the trinity had already existed since Plato.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
The theological doctrine of the trinity couldn't have existed without Hellenistic Philosophy, in Helllenistic philosophy the trinity had already existed since Plato.
Demiurges =/= Trinity.

I wasn't baptised in the name of Plato, Socrates and Aristotle and neither are you, I hope.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
What about the East-Syriac, Ethiopian, Armenian, Indian or Slavic Christians? Some of them had little or no contact with Hellenism. What about Latin Christendom?

Reaction score
The Trinity was fairly closely expressed in the book of Enoch. For ex.

Chapter 45

1Parable the second, respecting these who deny the name of the habitation of the holy ones, and of the Lord of spirits.

2Heaven they shall not ascend, nor shall they come on the earth. This shall be the portion of sinners, who deny the name of the Lord of spirits, and who are thus reserved for the day of punishment and of affliction.

3In that day shall the Elect One sit upon a throne of glory; and shall choose their conditions and countless habitations, while their spirits within them shall be strengthened, when they behold my Elect One, for those who have fled for protection to my holy and glorious name.

4In that day I will cause my Elect One to dwell in the midst of them; will change the face of heaven; will bless it, and illuminate it for ever.

5I will also change the face of the earth, will bless it; and cause those whom I have elected to dwell upon it. But those who have committed sin and iniquity shall not inhabit it, for I have marked their proceedings. My righteous ones will I satisfy with peace, placing them before me; but the condemnation of sinners shall draw near, that I may destroy them from the face of the earth.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
The theological doctrine of the Trinity could not have existed without God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If we believed it to be only a philosophical concept, we couldn't call ourselves worshipers of the living God.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
The Trinity is the Trinity. Even if hellenism hadn't existed, Christ would still have been incarnated and christians would still believe in the Trinity.

Pericles

Reaction score
Website
www.patriarchate.org
recent convert said:
Perhaps like His "brothe"r, St. James and His mother the Virgin Mary?   ::) 
Yea right well the author is traditionally Mark the Evangelist a disciple of Peter FYI his name Markos is of course Greek ::)

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Ansgar said:
Even if Judaism hadn't existed, Christ would still have been incarnated and christians would still believe in the Trinity.
yup works both ways fella  ;)
The difference between you and me is that I don't see judaism as you see hellenism.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Pericles said:
recent convert said:
Hellenism rather than this Judeo-Christian myth is so obvious in the Gospel    ::),
Except for Matthew, the other Evangelists felt they had to explain Jewish customs and beliefs to the Gentile reader. The subtext is clearly Semitic - sometimes the language itself bears the influence of Semitic thought and expression. The Lord's prayer, for instance, was clearly spoken in Aramaic and preserved in Greek translation in the Gospels.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
How odd that the author of Hebrews did not list all the Greek "cloud of witnesses".  Must have been an oversight.  Or perhaps all those ancient saints were really Hellenists. Tricksy Bible.  ::)

Of course, Paul does state in Romans 3:

What advantage then has the Greek, or what is the profit of the Delphinian Oracle? 2 Much in every way! Chiefly because to them were committed the oracles of God.

So I guess Pericles is right afterall.  My bad.