• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Want to Learn Ancient Syriac?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
No?

Well, I do...lol

Does anyone know good books on learning ancient Syriac, especially if I want to, let’s say, read ancient manuscripts of Severus of Antioch (I assume his writings were preserved in West Syriac?).

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
George Anton Kiraz's A New Syriac Primer is very student-friendly and has an audio component, which is helpful. This uses the Western Syriac pronunciation, which is unusual in most English-language textbooks.

I learned from Robinson's Paradigms and Exercises in Syriac Grammar; it uses the Western Syriac script, but the Eastern pronunciation. This is a weird convention Western scholars decided on.

Both books are really over-priced, the latter especially so, given its cheap glue binding. Wheeler M. Thackston's Introduction to Syriac is much more affordable, and not bad. It emphasizes reading without vowels, which is a pain at first but good in the long run. However, it uses both Eastern pronunciation and the Estrangela script. The scripts aren't THAT different, so that may be overblown as an impediment.

I would lean toward using Kiraz's book if I were starting today, especially if West Syriac sources are my goal.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome!!!

Thank you...I shall order Kiraz’s book soon!

Reaction score
There is a basics of Classical Syriac online course that is supposed to be offered soon by Zondervan.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it looks intriguing.

https://courses.zondervanacademic.com/classical-syriac

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
gregorypalamas said:
There is a basics of Classical Syriac online course that is supposed to be offered soon by Zondervan.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it looks intriguing.

https://courses.zondervanacademic.com/classical-syriac
Nice!