• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Website not secure?

PJ26

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I don’t know if this is important or not.  I use an iPad to access the site and when I go to enter my username and password it says in red at the top “! Website Not Secure”. Is this a known issue?  Thanks.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Do you use Chrome? IIRC it warns about non-HTPPs sites nowadays. Perhaps Safari does the same.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Chrome used to warm me about oc.net. I doesn't anymore for some reason. I don't think I changed anything.

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
?
I’d imagine that a secure site and certificate costs more. Unless I’m entering financial or personal info, I don’t care if the site is encrypted. I just hope the hacker who ends up jacking my account doesn’t start posting quiche recipes. Cheesecake recipes would be cool, though.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
FWIW, the Electronic Frontier Foundation has established a free certificate service to encourage more websites to be secured: https://letsencrypt.org

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Secure web sites (url beginning https) are slower and burn more data/bandwidth than non-secure sites.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
JTLoganville said:
Secure web sites (url beginning https) are slower and burn more data/bandwidth than non-secure sites.
So one shouldn't use the same password as there banking institutions.  Gotcha

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Or just be like me and have no money to steal ;D

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Or just be like me and have no money to steal ;D
Better. One less worry. My uncle once told me. That the day a letter doesnt come in your name you will be truly free.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
JTLoganville said:
That is a problem in Western counties from which most of OC.net is from? Around here practically everyone has a smartphone with unlimited data plan.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Alpo said:
JTLoganville said:
That is a problem in Western counties from which most of OC.net is from? Around here practically everyone has a smartphone with unlimited data plan.
Most people do here, too. I think he's speaking from an admin side. The reason the website is not secure might be because making it so would be more expensive for Anastasios.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Alpo said:
In the US cellular service is between 2 to 3 times as expensive as in much of Europe.  Only recently have unlimited plans started to be offered, starting with T-mobile, whose major owner is an European company, Deutsche Telekom.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Sharbel said:
Alpo said:
In the US cellular service is between 2 to 3 times as expensive as in much of Europe.  Only recently have unlimited plans started to be offered, starting with T-mobile, whose major owner is an European company, Deutsche Telekom.
That's weird considering you guys invented internet, Google, Facebook and plethora of web-based services. I thought just plain old competition between different companies would have lead to budget-priced unlimited data plans ages ago. I believe that's how it happened around here. I pay of unlimited phone plan including cellular data and unlimited wifi at home something like 40-50€ in total.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Under their normal plans Comcast caps things at 1 TB of data per month, though I'd think that a typical household would have to work really hard to exceed that (I'm streaming stuff constantly and I usually use 300-400 GB a month). They also have unlimited plans for $50 more.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
^How much would that kind normal plan cost per month? Is the cost just for phone plan only?

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Alpo said:
That's weird considering you guys invented internet, Google, Facebook and plethora of web-based services. I thought just plain old competition between different companies would have lead to budget-priced unlimited data plans ages ago. I believe that's how it happened around here. I pay of unlimited phone plan including cellular data and unlimited wifi at home something like 40-50€ in total.
Because the state in the US is rapaciously corrupt.  For example, many city councils granted monopolies to cable TV companies, typically with generous kickbacks to politicians.  When auctioning spectrum, they seldom put limits to curb nationwide dominance by only one or a few companies, for this maximized the profits of the auction. Nothing like this could ever survive without the support or connivance of the state, especially for the right price.