• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Welcome Back to Byzantines.org--Now OrthodoxChristianity.net!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I was mistaken about Nigula Qian Zishi (aka Nik), but here is a short summary...

Anastasios said:
I will author a comprehensive document later since there is interest but suffice it to say...

Robert and I desired to make a website to promote Eastern Christianity and continue our knowledge of the Orthodox Church (we were Byzantine Catholics back then, and wanted to promote Church unity between Eastern Christians).  In 2001 we bought the domain byzantines.org (inspiration was from byzantines.net and byzcath.org) and started there.  Nothing really came about until Robert and I were sitting in a car discussing making a webforum.  Robert and I knew Philip (Mor Ephrem) from byzcath.org and so Philip was interested in the project as well. We went live on May 12, 2002.

Byzantines.org survived until September 2002 when Robert went to Italy.  While he was gone, Philip and I recruited Nik Stanosheck (now Fr Dcn Nikolai) to be the third administrator and we decided to make it a truly Orthodox-oriented website instead of "pan Byzantine Rite" since those professing such views could easily go to byzcath.org to post, renaming the site orthodoxchristianity.net on October 2, 2002. Nik was on the path to officially becoming Orthodox, and I was now at St Vladimir's Seminary studying about Orthodoxy to make my decision (yeah, I go all the way when I am interested in something).

Robert returned from Italy after some changes in plans and resumed duties as an Administrator.  Soon Nik decided to make a website that was more oriented towards traditionalist views, so he resigned to focus on his site euphrosynoscafe.com.

By 2003, we started to add on a moderation team since we could not handle it by ourselves, and over the next few years the current structure came into being.  In 2006, Philip resigned and we added Fr. Chris as an administrator. Over the years, both Robert and I became Orthodox officially.

Now we are just trying to develop content and the forum to be the best it can be.

mctaviix

High Elder
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I was mistaken about Nigula Qian Zishi (aka Nik), but here is a short summary...

Anastasios said:
I will author a comprehensive document later since there is interest but suffice it to say...

Robert and I desired to make a website to promote Eastern Christianity and continue our knowledge of the Orthodox Church (we were Byzantine Catholics back then, and wanted to promote Church unity between Eastern Christians).  In 2001 we bought the domain byzantines.org (inspiration was from byzantines.net and byzcath.org) and started there.  Nothing really came about until Robert and I were sitting in a car discussing making a webforum.  Robert and I knew Philip (Mor Ephrem) from byzcath.org and so Philip was interested in the project as well. We went live on May 12, 2002.

Byzantines.org survived until September 2002 when Robert went to Italy.  While he was gone, Philip and I recruited Nik Stanosheck (now Fr Dcn Nikolai) to be the third administrator and we decided to make it a truly Orthodox-oriented website instead of "pan Byzantine Rite" since those professing such views could easily go to byzcath.org to post, renaming the site orthodoxchristianity.net on October 2, 2002. Nik was on the path to officially becoming Orthodox, and I was now at St Vladimir's Seminary studying about Orthodoxy to make my decision (yeah, I go all the way when I am interested in something).

Robert returned from Italy after some changes in plans and resumed duties as an Administrator.  Soon Nik decided to make a website that was more oriented towards traditionalist views, so he resigned to focus on his site euphrosynoscafe.com.

By 2003, we started to add on a moderation team since we could not handle it by ourselves, and over the next few years the current structure came into being.  In 2006, Philip resigned and we added Fr. Chris as an administrator. Over the years, both Robert and I became Orthodox officially.

Now we are just trying to develop content and the forum to be the best it can be.
That's a great story...I hope he does write that comprehensive document sometime.

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
username! said:
It's hard to believe that I've been here for almost 9 years. I can't even remember when I became a moderator..I'm guessing 7 years ago or so. I was the other topics mod.  Then maybe 5 years ago I took over as Orthodox Catholic mod. I've known some of you for almost a decade. Some I know off the forum.
A former mod invited me to her parish as I was Greek Catholic when I signed up for membership at oc.net. I visited and never went back becoming Orthodox Holy Saturday 2006 joining at that particular parish. The former mod and her husband are still very dear friends.
I guess therefore oc.net is a part of my life.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
username! said:
It's hard to believe that I've been here for almost 9 years. I can't even remember when I became a moderator..I'm guessing 7 years ago or so. I was the other topics mod.  Then maybe 5 years ago I took over as Orthodox Catholic mod. I've known some of you for almost a decade. Some I know off the forum.
A former mod invited me to her parish as I was Greek Catholic when I signed up for membership at oc.net. I visited and never went back becoming Orthodox Holy Saturday 2006 joining at that particular parish. The former mod and her husband are still very dear friends.
I guess therefore oc.net is a part of my life.
What part of our great state do you hail from?

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Bobby here.  I check in from time to time.  It is amazing to see how the forum has grown since its inception in 2002.  Much has happened in everyone's lives.  But I am glad to see this place still alive.  I always welcome messages.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Robert said:
Bobby here.  I check in from time to time.  It is amazing to see how the forum has grown since its inception in 2002.  Much has happened in everyone's lives.  But I am glad to see this place still alive.  I always welcome messages.
I remember welcoming a message once, courtesy of AIM: "Chrysostomos7 has sent you a message.  Do you want to read it?" or something like that.  After I clicked "yes", my life changed irrevocably.  :p

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Robert said:
I remember welcoming a message once, courtesy of AIM: "Chrysostomos7 has sent you a message.  Do you want to read it?" or something like that.  After I clicked "yes", my life changed irrevocably.  :p
Those were the days, weren't they?  I remember when you were a fresh young lad at SUNY.  Now look at you!  All grown up!!

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I think Ebor is still posting. Rarely, but still. Mostly in threads somehow related to England and Anglicanism.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Robert said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Robert said:
Those were the days, weren't they?  I remember when you were a fresh young lad at SUNY.  Now look at you!  All grown up!!
Those were indeed the days, but I'm afraid I can't agree about being all grown up.  LOL. 

Robert said:
What ever happened to Kebeler and Ebor?  Remember them? 
They're here more than you are.  :p

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Robert said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Robert said:
Those were indeed the days, but I'm afraid I can't agree about being all grown up.  LOL. 

Robert said:
What ever happened to Kebeler and Ebor?  Remember them? 
They're here more than you are.  :p
Haven't lost your humor, I see.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Anastasios said:
Hello, all, I'd just like to welcome you back to Byzantines.org -- now OrthodoxChristianity.net!

Bobby left for Italy but guess what--he didn't send me the correct files to set up the old board when he left, so I had to figure out how to set up this board by myself! And I am NOT a computer expert!

Please reregister.  I will shortly add the old forums back.  When Bobby visits next time, we will try to get all the old discussions added back to the board.

By the way, if anyone has byzantines.org files in their browser cache (go to tools, internet options, settings, view files and then click on the sort by internet address; see if you have any http://www.byzantines.org stuff--and if you do, email it as an attatchment to a n a s t a s i o s 0513@yahoo.com (I didnt put this all together because internet spam machines will get my email--simply erase the spaces).

Welcome Back!  Feel free to post whatever, and I will move the threads.

In Christ,

anastasios
ADMINISTRATOR
12 years ago today...sheesh! :)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Oblio said:
You might also peruse www.monachos.net
I love that site.  I lurk on occasion, and don't really read through most of the meaty topics due to a lack of time (I find that I really have to read slowly there in order to understand some things).  One day, I hope to actually sit in front of my screen and devote all of my time to reading the threads there. 

But I'll be back before Vespers...
Mor, have you had the opportunity to read all the threads on monachos.net yet? What were your thoughts on them?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I used to post a lot on monachos but it's really died out and, looking back on it, there were some really interesting discussions but too often people were willing to fall back on rote answers to a lot of hard questions. I like OC.net better now.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
I used to read Monachos a lot too.  There were some really helpful threads.  Then the site crashed.  Now it is a memorial site, a graveyard of good information.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
TheTrisagion said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Oblio said:
I love that site.  I lurk on occasion, and don't really read through most of the meaty topics due to a lack of time (I find that I really have to read slowly there in order to understand some things).  One day, I hope to actually sit in front of my screen and devote all of my time to reading the threads there. 

Mor, have you had the opportunity to read all the threads on monachos.net yet? What were your thoughts on them?
I miss Justin Kissel.  His thread resurrections were more full of conviction than yours. 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
TheTrisagion said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Oblio said:

I miss Justin Kissel.  His thread resurrections were more full of conviction than yours.
I miss him too. I am naught but a poor substitute.  :'(

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Is Asteriktos (Justin Kissel) dead or disappeared? Or does he just not post anymore?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ilyazhito said:
Is Asteriktos (Justin Kissel) dead or disappeared? Or does he just not post anymore?
He takes leaves of absence. He has always come back. Hopefully, we will see him soon, he is one of my favorite forumers.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Happy birthday to the forum! On this day in 2002 Byzantines.org (predecessor to OC.net) was born.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Happy birthday to the forum! On this day in 2002 Byzantines.org (predecessor to OC.net) was born.
Many years!!    :D

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Soon we will have members younger than the forum itself I expect.

I miss some of the people who are no longer with us, just since 2015, due to poor health or other reasons.  I pray that Porter Odoran, TheTrisagion, AntoniousNikolaus and PeterTheAleut are doing alright.  :(

Also for those members who have died, memory eternal!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy sweet 16 to the forum!