• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Western-Rite Christmas mass.

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jackson02 said:
A nice video of a Western-Rite service from Holy Name Abbey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZgYTsFpDFw
The person shooting the video acts like its an undercover operation of something. Between than and the video flipping sideways doesn't help. Either you're allowed to film and so do it, or don't do it if you're not allowed. The video is only 3 minutes, but this didn't look like any Western Rite liturgy I'd ever seen before.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
noahzarc1 said:
Jackson02 said:
A nice video of a Western-Rite service from Holy Name Abbey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZgYTsFpDFw
The person shooting the video acts like its an undercover operation of something. Between than and the video flipping sideways doesn't help. Either you're allowed to film and so do it, or don't do it if you're not allowed. The video is only 3 minutes, but this didn't look like any Western Rite liturgy I'd ever seen before.
I agree. I looked at the uploader’s videos and they all seem to be pretty crazy. Sadly though, this is one of the only videos of Holy Name Abbey I can find on YouTube.  :(

Edit: I found a better video of then Archbishop (now Metropolitan) John of New York celebrating the Sarum mass. The only downside is that it’s from almost ten years ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89I-S_76bhc

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Seems way too quiet. Like "Worst aspects of the Medieval Low Mass" quiet.

Is it just because they don't have enough people for a proper choir or because it's a bad recording or something? I hope that's not the way it's SUPPOSED to be done.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:

Is it just because they don't have enough people for a proper choir or because it's a bad recording or something? I hope that's not the way it's SUPPOSED to be done.
I’ve seen other videos of Met. John performing the Mass and they were at a normal volume. If you browse through the video’s channel content you’ll find other old videos of Holy Name Abbey, all of them being extremely quiet. I think it’s just terrible quality.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Jackson02 said:
Volnutt said:

I’ve seen other videos of Met. John performing the Mass and they were at a normal volume. If you browse through the video’s channel content you’ll find other old videos of Holy Name Abbey, all of them being extremely quiet. I think it’s just terrible quality.
Ah, ok. Thanks.