• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Western Rite Novenas

Mercurius1

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of Orthodox Novenas in the Western Rite? I'm having a difficult time locating Orthodox ones.

As a convert to Orthodoxy form Roman Catholicism, this is a practice that I would like to continue

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:
Does anyone have a list of Orthodox Novenas in the Western Rite? I'm having a difficult time locating Orthodox ones.

As a convert to Orthodoxy form Roman Catholicism, this is a practice that I would like to continue
You probably will find what you need here. https://www.orthodoxwest.com/

Click under "Praxis."

Mercurius1

Reaction score
noahzarc1 said:
Mercurius1 said:

Click under "Praxis."
Awesome. Thanks for this

Side questions, and this isn't meant to be nit-picky, but, how does the Western Rite justify using post-schism devotions like the Angelus, etc?

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:

You should write your conversion story in the converts section.  Only if you want to of course.  :)

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:
noahzarc1 said:
Mercurius1 said:

Click under "Praxis."
Awesome. Thanks for this

Side questions, and this isn't meant to be nit-picky, but, how does the Western Rite justify using post-schism devotions like the Angelus, etc?
Not sure if this is their rationale or not, but "post-schism" is a difficult thing to define, as the schism didn't happen all at one moment, but rather grew over the centuries. The Angelus, while perhaps a post-1054 practice, is composed of prayers that certainly predate the schism, and is not accompanied by any "promises made by apparitions" that would make the practice problematic. It seems like an organic development of Western piety.

noahzarc1

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:
noahzarc1 said:
Mercurius1 said:

Click under "Praxis."
Awesome. Thanks for this

I suppose this is something similar to the objections raised by Sedevacantists who point to Vatican II as the point of modernism in the Roman Church, set a hard conclusion that Pius XII is the last true Pope and condemn everything else that comes after it. Then they have to try and explain, rather craftily, when the post-Vatican II "anti-Popes" do something orthodox, or "Catholic" and also find traditionally Catholic things happening here and there. Additionally, modernist changes were well upon their way long before Vatican II.

What really is "post-schism"? To me it is also like trying to define what is "post-modern?" Is "post-schism" January 1, 1055? At what point is it decided something is in the "post-schism" era? Anyway, the Angelus is a western devotion of how they remembered the Incarnation and prayed three times daily at the ringing of the Church bells. I'm not sure I have a particular issue with this devotion.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:
noahzarc1 said:
Mercurius1 said:

Click under "Praxis."
Awesome. Thanks for this

Even though they developed after the schism (and depending on who you ask, some don't count the schism as complete until after Florence), the WRO have no problem with using devotions that were an organic development that a). reflect genuine piety, and b). are not at odds with Orthodox spirituality.

In other words, in bringing a Western Rite into the Orthodox fold, there's no need to throw out what doesn't need to be thrown out.