• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Western Rite seminaries?

Michał

High Elder
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Mazovia, Poland
Where are the WRO clergy of the ROCOR and the Patriarchate of Antioch trained? I'm asking about all the countries with the WRO presence.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
I imagine that ROCOR (though I'm not certain) Western Rite priests, at least here in the states, would be trained at Holy Trinity Seminary/Monastery in Jordanville.

However, for Antiochians, the only other jurisdiction to offer western rite, they are trained at St. Tikhon's, St. Vlad's and Holy Cross.  They are given education in EAstern Orthodox dogma and there are some classes in western rite liturgies, but I doubt it's comprehensive.  As many of the Western Rite priests come from an Episcopalian, Lutheran or Catholic background, I don't think they have to be trained strictly in liturgics as they have that training already.

But I have heard something that may indicate a new seminary to be available for strictly western rite priests.  Metropolitan JONAH has made numerous overtures to disenfranchised Episcopalians who have now formed the Anglican Church of North America (ACNA) and he recently gave a speech to a number of them in someplace in Wisconsin where a seminary is located.  Now, keep in mind that all of this is speculative, there may be the chance that this particular seminary, in an agreement with the ACNA, may also train Orthodox WEstern Rite priests.  If such is the case, I think there is cause for concern.  WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.  I don't care if the ACNA is close to Orthodoxy; they are not Orthodox, pure and simple.  Again, all speculation, but if such thing were to achieve fruition, I think we are going to need another Bishop RAPHAEL to clean up the mess, no matter how good the intentions of Metropolitan JONAH are.
 

Thomas

Archon
Joined
Jan 14, 2003
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
69
Location
Temple, Texas
Antiiochian Orthodox Seminarians (western rite and eastern rite also have to attend special sessions of the House of Antiochian Studies during the Summer in which their specific traditions/rites are discussiojn more intimately during sevreal week seminars and classes. Western Rite seminarians are encouraged to understand both eastern  and western rites by taking calsses in both at the various seminaries. Special catechisms have been developed for the western orthodox rites to limit there need for going to non-orthodox sources for calss material.

The Western Rite in the Antiochian Archdiocese is still in a development and stabilization period but seems to be doing very well.

Thomas
 

Michał

High Elder
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Mazovia, Poland
Thank you for your answers.

http://mail.white-rabbit.ca/churchsites/www.christminster.org/seminary.htm - does anyone know, if this one still functions?
 

Matrona

High Elder
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
999
Reaction score
1
Points
0
scamandrius said:
Now, keep in mind that all of this is speculative, there may be the chance that this particular seminary, in an agreement with the ACNA, may also train Orthodox WEstern Rite priests.  If such is the case, I think there is cause for concern.  WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.  I don't care if the ACNA is close to Orthodoxy; they are not Orthodox, pure and simple.  Again, all speculation, but if such thing were to achieve fruition, I think we are going to need another Bishop RAPHAEL to clean up the mess, no matter how good the intentions of Metropolitan JONAH are.
No such agreement has been tendered or approved between Nashotah House and St Vlad's, or OCA and ACNA.  Please don't put out that kind of speculation.  There are enough people around who are bashing SVS and the OCA over that conference, acting as if it were a rehash of the Council of Florence.  In reality, barring some shady backdoor dealings that didn't make it onto Ancient Faith Radio, it was just some harmless schmoozing between schools and nothing more. 

Metropolitan Jonah would like to introduce these nice ACNA people to Orthodoxy, especially now that their type is being courted by Rome, but I'm confident that Met. Jonah wouldn't let them jump the gun and "convert without conversion" in the interest of creating a OCA western rite.
 

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Roanoke, VA
Orual said:
Metropolitan Jonah would like to introduce these nice ACNA people to Orthodoxy, especially now that their type is being courted by Rome, but I'm confident that Met. Jonah wouldn't let them jump the gun and "convert without conversion" in the interest of creating a OCA western rite.
Right. Didn't he tell them in June pointblank that they held to heretical beliefs and could not become Orthodox until they abandoned their heresy?  ;) I certainly can't see His Beatitude being rash.

In Christ,
Andrew
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Orual said:
scamandrius said:
Now, keep in mind that all of this is speculative, there may be the chance that this particular seminary, in an agreement with the ACNA, may also train Orthodox WEstern Rite priests.  If such is the case, I think there is cause for concern.  WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.  I don't care if the ACNA is close to Orthodoxy; they are not Orthodox, pure and simple.  Again, all speculation, but if such thing were to achieve fruition, I think we are going to need another Bishop RAPHAEL to clean up the mess, no matter how good the intentions of Metropolitan JONAH are.
No such agreement has been tendered or approved between Nashotah House and St Vlad's, or OCA and ACNA.  Please don't put out that kind of speculation.  There are enough people around who are bashing SVS and the OCA over that conference, acting as if it were a rehash of the Council of Florence.  In reality, barring some shady backdoor dealings that didn't make it onto Ancient Faith Radio, it was just some harmless schmoozing between schools and nothing more. 

Metropolitan Jonah would like to introduce these nice ACNA people to Orthodoxy, especially now that their type is being courted by Rome, but I'm confident that Met. Jonah wouldn't let them jump the gun and "convert without conversion" in the interest of creating a OCA western rite.
I've got some insights from very credible sources.  But, as I said, it is speculation; there is no harm in repeating speculation which I have received even from clergy.
 

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
7,521
Reaction score
0
Points
0
scamandrius said:
WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.
Oh, I suppose you won't want to know about the practice at the EO seminary here that is part of what is called the "Graduate Theological Union".
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,501
Reaction score
265
Points
83
Age
41
WE don't send priests to be educated in Lutheran or Catholic seminaries.
What about the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew?
 
Top