• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

what are some opions on the best OO

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
jurisdictions for converts? I'm really liking the syraic orthodox  of Antioch. I would like opinions on best one for converts. I have a Coptic church near by as well. I'm going to write this week one of them to try and start my journey into the church.
Ps how does one address the father in OO circles.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Thank you. Keep praying for me sure can use them all

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
jewish voice said:
jurisdictions for converts? I'm really liking the syraic orthodox  of Antioch. I would like opinions on best one for converts. I have a Coptic church near by as well. I'm going to write this week one of them to try and start my journey into the church.
Which jurisdictions are close enough for you to realistically attend on a regular basis?

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
You said you have a Coptic church nearby.  I would definitely try that.  The Copts, in my experience, are very convert friendly.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Antonious Nikolas said:
jewish voice said:
Which jurisdictions are close enough for you to realistically attend on a regular basis?
bboth are an hr away from me.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Porter ODoran said:
Visit both to find out.
problem is I can't really visit either of them as I'm an otr driver. So I have to find a priest willing to work around this issue of my job. I want to join the OO church and I know I can't go much  but at least if I die or something I'll have been on the rolls and a burial right.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
jewish voice said:
Porter ODoran said:
Visit both to find out.
problem is I can't really visit either of them as I'm an otr driver. So I have to find a priest willing to work around this issue of my job. I want to join the OO church and I know I can't go much  but at least if I die or something I'll have been on the rolls and a burial right.
You're never home on a Sunday? Or a Saturday night? Or a Wednesday night?

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Porter ODoran said:
jewish voice said:
Porter ODoran said:
Visit both to find out.
not really I'm never really home till holidays

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
jewish voice said:
Porter ODoran said:
jewish voice said:
Porter ODoran said:
Visit both to find out.
not really I'm never really home till holidays
So how is it you plan to commune at all? It seems that would have to be figured out before jurisdiction.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
jewish voice said:
Porter ODoran said:
Visit both to find out.
As far as I know, a catechumen (learner, new attendee of church) can receive an Orthodox funeral if he dies during the study process. This is the practice in the Eastern Orthodox churches. It may also be true in the Oriental Orthodox churches.

Not that you should spend too much time worrying about stuff like that. :) Find a parish, meet some people, try to relax. In all probability, you'll be fine. :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
jewish voice said:
I'm going to second the recommendation that you check with the Copts.  Far be it from me from discouraging anyone from worshiping in the Syriac tradition, but in my experience, the Copts are the best at having more services during the week (not just Sunday), and so you will have a better chance at actually being able to go to church. 

"Father" works just fine. 

Be sure to actually talk to a priest in real life, though.  Your situation is rather unique and I'm not sure we can help you other than to pray for you and encourage you. 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
jewish voice said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
jewish voice said:
bboth are an hr away from me.
Honestly, I would say call the priests of both parishes (Syriac and Coptic) and see which one is willing (and able) to work with you given your circumstances.  Then, I would say take the time to visit both churches when your schedule permits.  I know that will be tough with your schedule, but here's why I think it would be worth the effort:

1. Each parish has its own character.  In any given Coptic or Syriac parish, you might find them using a lot of English, a little bit of English, or virtually no English depending on the needs and the composition of that particular congregation.  See which parish you'd be more comfortable praying in and would be spiritually fed in and stay there.  I know you won't be praying there all the time because of your schedule, but that will still be your "home church".

2. You want to get to know the priests of each church so you can have a father of confession that you trust and you're comfortable with.  You might find that you just "click" with one priest or another.

Also, remember that whichever jurisdiction you're received into, you can pray at any Oriental Orthodox Church you happen to be near when you're on the road.  You can find them anytime using this handy site:

http://www.scooch.org/explor/find-a-parish/

I glorify God and I'm happy to know that you're coming home to the Church.  You're my brother.  Message me any time and I'll answer any question I can for you.

pasadi97

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Try to go to a Church in communion with Jerusalem Patriarchy. There may be a big issue with one nature, two natures.

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
pasadi97 said:
Try to go to a Church in communion with Jerusalem Patriarchy. There may be a big issue with one nature, two natures.
From the rules page:

Proselytism -- Proselytizing people from one Orthodox jurisdiction to another Orthodox jurisdiction is not allowed;

Knock it off, Pasadi.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Faith
Coptic Orthodox Christian
pasadi97 said:
I love trolls.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
wgw said:
In my experience, both the Syriacs and Copts,are extremely friendly.  I've never been to an Ethiopian or Armenian parish.
Armenians and Ethiopians are every bit as friendly and welcoming as Copts and Syriacs, but you're a lot less likely to find any English at all in the liturgy at an Armenian or Ethiopian parish.  There are some notable exceptions, but generally speaking, that's the way it goes.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
I found a Facebook page for the Coptic church near me. They have service every day of the week it seams. I think with my job and all would be best to try there. I like syrian church a lot mainly cause eskimo hoods rock got to admit that  :D

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
jewish voice said:
I found a Facebook page for the Coptic church near me. They have service every day of the week it seams. I think with my job and all would be best to try there.
Great!  Please let us know how it goes.  We'll be praying for you.

jewish voice said:
I like syrian church a lot mainly cause eskimo hoods rock got to admit that  :D
Right on!  :)