• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What are those stands for service books called?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
There are all manner of stands for books in Orthodox churches, those Greek spinning things, the double-decker deals to stack the books on, etc. But what are these things called? I was just curious if you wanted something for trying to do readers services at home, if you can get anything like this affordable or if they are all just outrageous like a lot of other church materials. I haven't been able to find anything online.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
It's a type of analogion. I'm not sure if there's a special term for it.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In Greek they are called 'analogia' (singular 'analogion'); 'lectern' is what I find them marketed as. The proper ones, from church suppliers, are crazy expensive - no less than 2 grand, because solid wood, and carving, and lacquering. At home, you could make do with a shelving unit or cabinet, like this, and a tabletop book stand on top.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This site sells 'em: http://www.alphaomegachurchsupplies.com/Furnishings/Analogion/?sort=price Looks like the cheapest one is $325.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I would like one that is permanently fixed into the ground as opposed to one that can be moved in. And also, whenever we turn ours, it makes such a commotion.  A desk would be preferable.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
This site sells 'em: http://www.alphaomegachurchsupplies.com/Furnishings/Analogion/?sort=price Looks like the cheapest one is $325.
None of those, not even the most expensive, have any storage space whatsoever.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
There are all manner of stands for books in Orthodox churches, those Greek spinning things, the double-decker deals to stack the books on, etc. But what are these things called? I was just curious if you wanted something for trying to do readers services at home, if you can get anything like this affordable or if they are all just outrageous like a lot of other church materials. I haven't been able to find anything online.
For readers service at home I think the cheapest option would be to build one, or buy a simple music stand.

Arachne said:
None of those, not even the most expensive, have any storage space whatsoever.
Is he looking for something to store books on, or just have them at an appropriate height to stand and read them?