• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

what are you favourite incenses?

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I Burned Nag Champa
Until I realized it was strange fire!

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
tweety234 said:
Quinault said:
We burn sage or dried western red cedar.
I love sage. But why not frankinsence?
Why not a traditional Orthodox type incense?

Two reasons;

I am not Greek/Russian (or any other ethnicity that has traditionally used a resin incense), I am American Indian.

My husband and I are awful at lighting incense using the charcoal and incense granules. I suspect the cursing involved in us getting a good smoke counteracts the prayerful mindset that we are meant to have lighting incense. ;D

My FAVORITE is sweet grass though. We have cedar trees all around our house and can harvest cedar whenever we like. We can pick up sage or sweet grass at a pow-wow whenever we like. We have also found that the more natural incense we use effects our son's RAD less.

simplygermain

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com
Desert Fathers - Axum (I burn this to remind me of where I came from, my journey to orthodoxy).

My absolute prized and favorite is simply in honor of St. Herman, called Spruce Island but I'm not sure which monastery makes it. Maybe someone else here knows.

I have used pine resin as well and enjoy it.

From what my friend tells me that owns Desert Fathers Incense, frankenscense is controlled in majority by corrupt black marketers and hard to come by, very expensive and usually in short supply. Seeing as how I live in the USA, I would be proned to switch to indigenous ingredients if I could learn to prepare a sufficiently burning fragrance.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
My mother is very prone to catching migraines and incense is a trigger, so I'm not allowed to burn incense at my home. That being said though, I still use scented candles--my favorite being from the Yankee collection. I like the "Midsummer Night" and "Moonlight" scents.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yankee candles are awesome. Especially (no surprise there) their Frankincense & Myrrh combo.

I love St. Cyprian incense pellets, but I haven't been able to find them in years. Black and gold resin incense are good as well, and frankincense and myrrh are perennial classics.

I'm looking forward to trying a few of these, especially the Byzantine.

For now, I'm (quite happily) making do with sticks, and this is my new favourite.

Benjamin the Red

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
simplygermain said:
My absolute prized and favorite is simply in honor of St. Herman, called Spruce Island but I'm not sure which monastery makes it. Maybe someone else here knows.
Spruce Island is made by Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, Massachusetts. You can buy it here.

I usually use incense from the Hermitage of the Holy Cross in Wayne, West Virginia. Though, Holy Transfiguration's formula, I think, is better (for burning on a charcoal), I generally like Holy Cross's fragrances better Though, I'm a sucker for Holy Transfiguration's "Gethsemane", which I use during Lent! I actually need to order more, as all I've got is my left over from last year!

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorites are from St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona. They have a desert flower one and some others that are really good.

I occasionally use frankincense but it can irritate my eyes and throat. Or maybe that's just because I burn copious amounts of it. Got to get the demons out of every nook and cranny!

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Tobacco is a pretty traditional incense in native societies actually.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Quinault said:
Tobacco is a pretty traditional incense in native societies actually.
I don't dispute that for a moment it's just how some Romanians affectionately call the divine plant.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
1. Frankincense 
2. Tea Rose 
3. Patchouli
4. I have some kind of floral incense from Romania that smells great.
5. Another resinous incense I love is called 'Gloria' something.  Smells wonderful.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Before the opening of the market the most common thing put in censers I think, was just fir-tree or douglas or pine tree resin. I sill have a clump an old man gave to me back in the early nineties, as he was selling it in the market. Some reddish resin. It smells good although I thing the smoke is thicker.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Before the opening of the market the most common thing put in censers I think, was just fir-tree or douglas or pine tree resin. I sill have a clump an old man gave to me back in the early nineties, as he was selling it in the market. Some reddish resin. It smells good although I thing the smoke is thicker.
Sounds interesting.  The floral scent I referred to is resinous and covered in some kind of white powder.  Smells really good.  BTW, I have friend traveling to Romania in a few weeks.  What are some good incense I can ask him to purchase for me?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I don't know. But if you have pine or fir trees around where you leave just scrape the resin and burn that. It smells good.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to buy from Desert Fathers, but they only accept payment through Google Wallet, which doesn't function in the UK yet. Boo hiss. :-\

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Columbina is a pretty amenable person, try and ask her about alternative payment methods:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Desert-Fathers-Incense/194180897281864

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
-Frankincense
-Damascus Rose
-Gardenia

...probably others which I have yet to sample.

Tommelomsky

High Elder
Reaction score
Betlehem
Byzantine
Lily

Many kinds I have not tried yet, but these three tops it.
:)

Orthodox11

Archon
Reaction score
Quinault said:
tweety234 said:
Quinault said:
We burn sage or dried western red cedar.
I love sage. But why not frankinsence?
Why not a traditional Orthodox type incense?
In Cyprus (not sure about Greece), incense is used in church, but at home most people use olive leaves, so sage and similar things are not far off.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I prefer pure Frankincense from Somalia.  I also have some from Oman that I like.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So far my favorite is Bethlehem from Holy Transfiguration Monastery.

Gunnarr

Archon
Reaction score
I am glad no one said anything illegal yet

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Super Hit Nag Champa.

I need recommendations of other good smelling incense, but for the past 8 years this has been my favorite. 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Somalian Frankincense and Amber from Holy Cross Hermitage, Wayne, WV.  Magi from Desert Father's Incense is really good (the incense cones are super convenient).

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
I've been using lavender scented incense sticks. Are there any other scents you all recommend, maybe one that is more reminiscent of the type used in services?

EDIT: Thanks, scamandrius

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
I don't burn incense (too lazy), but I love what plants give off in the sun.