• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What Are Your New Year's Resolutions?

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
What resolutions have you made for 2013?

Mine is to stop posting on OC.net

wait..........................

oh crap

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped making New Year resolutions when I realised why I kept failing to keep them.

In my neck of the woods, the worst of winter is still ahead. It's dark, it's cold, the exhilaration of the holidays has faded and there's nothing more to look forward to before spring - just a long slog towards Easter. I don't need self-inflicted guilt on top of it all.

But if a goal to be achieved by the end of the year counts, mine is to be medication-free.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Play with my dog.

Pay off my bank debt.

Learn how to rollerskate.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
I stopped making New Year resolutions when I realised why I kept failing to keep them.

In my neck of the woods, the worst of winter is still ahead. It's dark, it's cold, the exhilaration of the holidays has faded and there's nothing more to look forward to before spring - just a long slog towards Easter. I don't need self-inflicted guilt on top of it all.

But if a goal to be achieved by the end of the year counts, mine is to be medication-free.
Yay !!!!

Thanks Arachne !

ummmm Anyone Else ?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
More like recommendations to myself than resolutions...

- Lose weight (I'm still above 200, and would like to get down to 180)
- Grades of A- or better in all school work
- Attend church and pray consistently

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
Arachne said:

dear arachne, that's how many people feel in uk who were not born here!
the secret is to get nice warm waterproof clothes (coat and trousers) and waterproof boots and go outside every day that you can (don't wait for it to stop raining, or you will stay inside till may).
more time getting as much as you can of the natural light (even though it is not very bright) will help alleviate the seasonal gloom.
today, for example, there were a few hours of sunshine, and we borrowed some peoples' children and went out to the park.
to survive in the uk, you have to go outside a lot.
it means you have to walk in the mud. you will find that mud is non fatal and can be removed with a simple mixture of soap and water.
;)

if you don't have children, or none you can conveniently borrow, then offer to walk some elderly neighbour's dog, or wash someone's car, or do some gardening (waterproof gardening gloves help here, so your fingers don't freeze off) for someone who is unable to do it.
the rules in uk over the last 100 years mean that almost everywhere there is some green land, even in the biggest cities. so find the bit near you and use it.
do take advice from the locals about which places are used for drug dealing etc. and don't walk alone after dark until you know the area and where it is safe.
but anyway the idea is to be outside during daylight hours, so you don't need to worry about going out after dark!

the good news is that the days are now getting longer in the northern hemisphere, so that's more time to spend outside!
if you want to celebrate Christmas again, let me know and i may know a OO church or old calendar EO near you.

most of my friends were not born here, and they have acclimatised using these tips.
i hope it helps!

my new years' resolution is to pray more.
so if u still see me on line a lot, either i didn't keep it or i lost my job!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
mabsoota said:
dear arachne, that's how many people feel in uk who were not born here!
the secret is to get nice warm waterproof clothes (coat and trousers) and waterproof boots and go outside every day that you can (don't wait for it to stop raining, or you will stay inside till may).
more time getting as much as you can of the natural light (even though it is not very bright) will help alleviate the seasonal gloom.
today, for example, there were a few hours of sunshine, and we borrowed some peoples' children and went out to the park.
to survive in the uk, you have to go outside a lot.
it means you have to walk in the mud. you will find that mud is non fatal and can be removed with a simple mixture of soap and water.
;)

if you don't have children, or none you can conveniently borrow, then offer to walk some elderly neighbour's dog, or wash someone's car, or do some gardening (waterproof gardening gloves help here, so your fingers don't freeze off) for someone who is unable to do it.
the rules in uk over the last 100 years mean that almost everywhere there is some green land, even in the biggest cities. so find the bit near you and use it.
do take advice from the locals about which places are used for drug dealing etc. and don't walk alone after dark until you know the area and where it is safe.
but anyway the idea is to be outside during daylight hours, so you don't need to worry about going out after dark!

the good news is that the days are now getting longer in the northern hemisphere, so that's more time to spend outside!
if you want to celebrate Christmas again, let me know and i may know a OO church or old calendar EO near you.

most of my friends were not born here, and they have acclimatised using these tips.
i hope it helps!

my new years' resolution is to pray more.
so if u still see me on line a lot, either i didn't keep it or i lost my job!
Thanks for the tips! :) I have a little boy in reception class, and it's a good mile's walk to his school. Which means I do 4-5 miles a day, in all kinds of weather. (Let's just say Mountain Warehouse are very happy for my custom!) I'm fine with cold, but still working on dealing with the rain - and we're in one of the dryest parts of the country!

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
You're in Northern Europe as well now? Welcome! Enjoy your stay  ;)

And yes, the weather is depressive again. Every year around this time I get depressed too. I try to fight it by reading good books this year (might I suggest Homer?), the results are somewhat mixed, though. Try also to go to friends as often as you can, play some board or card games. It works miracles.

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
- Read one book every week.
- Spend two hours everyday studying a foreign language.
- Actually take time to do some form of physical exercise.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
Both Shelfari and Goodreads have 50-book challenges, and making your goal public can go a long way in motivating you to complete it. ;)

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Ioannis Climacus said:
Both Shelfari and Goodreads have 50-book challenges, and making your goal public can go a long way in motivating you to complete it. ;)
Anything to help with motivation is most certainly welcome, I might check it out. These resolutions + 16 hour semester = my work cut out for me.

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
So, how are everyone's resolutions coming along? I quite frankly failed the next day (Jan. 2), but as of this past week, have slowly but surely got back on track.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
So, how are everyone's resolutions coming along? I quite frankly failed the next day (Jan. 2), but as of this past week, have slowly but surely got back on track.
So far, so good...

- Losing weight
- Getting good grades
- Um... well two out of three ain't bad  8)

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My next medication review is in June. I hope that's when the doctor starts weaning me off them.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
i think my post count went down by about 0.1 a day, so that suggests i am praying about 1 minute more, on average...
:-[

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:

0 for 3. Though I have a medical excuse for not losing weight.  I did learn a lot about myself in 2013; the problem is that most of it was bad news.  8)

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
Asteriktos said:
Asteriktos said:

0 for 3. Though I have a medical excuse for not losing weight.  I did learn a lot about myself in 2013; the problem is that most of it was bad news.  8)
You trickster! Bumping dead threads like this one!  ::)
:laugh:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Learn krav maga.  I signed up and paid, so I might as well attend classes. :)

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
My resolutions for 2014 are as follows:

1) Save more money. (keep to your budget!)
2) Pay debts. (keep to your budget!)
3) Be humble. (invite criticism)

I think I have a good shot at #2.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Maria said:
Cyrillic said:
Pass my exams in april/may.
Lord have mercy. St. Innocent of Alaska intercede for Cyril.

Wait! That was a year ago.
Hey, Cyril, have you passed your exams?
I did. Thank you.
You have too much together to fail school exams. Just be careful about life!

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
I believe in setting realistic goals that are attainable. therefore my resolutions are:
Eat more junk food
Drink more coffee
Put less time into self improvement

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm medication-free. Mission accomplished. ;D

Now for the next step: Get back into my pre-pregnancy leathers. :police:

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
To be more focused and disciplined in studying art, which is what I should have studied instead of something practical. My doctor just offered me money to draw portraits of her children when I showed her some of my practice drawings.  It's cool to have my first customer lined up but I feel I have a lot more to learn so that's my goal: stop wasting time and put in the time every day to work on this goal.

And, like Biro, play with my dog  :) We start agility lessons next week!

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Papist said:
I gave up fast food a few weeks ago, and so far I'm doing great.
You were already a decent looking dude last I checked on FB, but hey good for you man.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tallitot said:
I believe in setting realistic goals that are attainable. therefore my resolutions are:
Eat more junk food
Drink more coffee
Put less time into self improvement
Right on man.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I can barely make semi-resolutions for the next day let alone a year. It soikd he nice to move to a new place though. I'll try to do something about that.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:

After a reading litany of such posts, create a script which yanks your content from oc.net.

I have a feeling I could make a nickel or two from similarly oriented men.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Arachne said:

After a reading litany of such posts, create a script which yanks your content from oc.net.

I have a feeling I could make a nickel or two from similarly oriented men.
Yawn.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
less than 2 posts a day.
doing well.

(ok, it's 1.99 posts a day, so not really an improvement)
;)

wait!
why am i making a post about trying to make less posts?!
:eek:
must be that internet addiction thingy...

well done arachne, papist and tallitot (err... sort of!)
and well done asteriktos for making more resolutions this year.

my new year's resolution is to eat a lot for Christmas!
;)
am on old calendar, time to get excited, only 3 1/2 days left!
:)
also, i will try to get my daily posting average down to less than 1.9...