• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What are your pet peeves and OCD's?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
Porter ODoran said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Sometimes I still just prefer a Guinness tho.
I'm very disappointed in you. Guinness is revolting. I'd rather go through the hell of having to drink a Heineken than even so much as look at a glass of Guinness.

Drinking port after dinner, on the other hand, is no sin.
Yeah I also wear work clothes and boots and live in a beaten up old house. The days of youthful aspiration to extravagance are behind me.
There's nothing wrong with regular beer. Pilseners like Hertog Jan or Grolsch can be very nice. There's no excuse for Guinness, though.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
A pilsner is a kind of beer. A stout is another. An ale is another. They're all "regular beer" with ancient provenances. So you like pilsner.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Porter ODoran said:
A pilsner is a kind of beer. A stout is another. An ale is another. They're all "regular beer" with ancient provenances. So you like pilsner.
Pilsener pretty much is "regular beer", isn't it? Everything else is a speciaalbier, which is divided into several subcategories, like tripels, stouts, pale ales, etc.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Obviously I can't speak to the way the Netherlands categorizes things. Ale is ancient across the channel.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Pilsener pretty much is "regular beer", isn't it? Everything else is a speciaalbier, which is divided into several subcategories, like tripels, stouts, pale ales, etc.
Oh no no no. Well, I think in modern continental Europe pilsner is the standard, mass-market style, and in the US, too (to an extent). But pilsner wasn't developed till the 19th century. Those other styles you mention predate pilsner by quite a lot. Mainly it's because pilsner and other lagers require controlled cool temperatures for fermentation that were unavailable prior to industrialization. For example, I ferment my ales in a room temperature closet, but I need a fridge with an external thermostat for my lagers and other cool-fermented beers like Kolsch.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Jonathan Gress said:
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
Oh no no no. Well, I think in modern continental Europe pilsner is the standard, mass-market style, and in the US, too (to an extent). But pilsner wasn't developed till the 19th century. Those other styles you mention predate pilsner by quite a lot. Mainly it's because pilsner and other lagers require controlled cool temperatures for fermentation that were unavailable prior to industrialization. For example, I ferment my ales in a room temperature closet, but I need a fridge with an external thermostat for my lagers and other cool-fermented beers like Kolsch.
Good man.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
It's not so bad, really. Petes even have their own show:

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Mor Ephrem said:
^That is my pet peeve.
Can't you do something about it as a mod/old-timer? I've mentioned it a couple times in those long Catholic threads where they quote the previous 20 responses so they can give proper context to their "Nuh uh! Orthodox/Catholics stink!" response... but alas, the avalanches continue...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Justin Kissel said:
Mor Ephrem said:
^That is my pet peeve.
Can't you do something about it as a mod/old-timer? I've mentioned it a couple times in those long Catholic threads where they quote the previous 20 responses so they can give proper context to their "Nuh uh! Orthodox/Catholics stink!" response... but alas, the avalanches continue...
No one's down with brown, Justin.  :'(

Just kidding.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
TV shows having these broken up seasons where they show a few episodes and then you have to wait months. They showed like three episodes of The Good Wife back around December/January, and then stopped. It comes back next month. Personally, I think The Good Wife will end this season. She's going to become attorney general or whatever. When Will died, it had to be over.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Amazon Instant Video

SEARCH FOR:

"newsra" --> brings up all five seasons of the show NewsRadio
"newsrad" --> brings up all five seasons of the show NewsRadio
"newsradi" --> brings up all five seasons of the show NewsRadio
"newsradio" --> only brings up two seasons of the show NewsRadio and recommends the second season of 2 Broke Girls

Wat?

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
CyberLink Power Media player. Takes forever to load and freezes up. And sometimes when you go back in after this happens, you cannot hit play but have to wait like five minutes to open the whole program again. Wasted so much time tonight trying to watch a movie. Should have just watched it on the TV. I did finally.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Internet outrage.

Christina

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Peeve:  People who touch the glass doors at work instead of the handles.  I have to wipe all their oily prints off the glass, which smear and make the whole door look oily.  FYI, you're not avoiding germs because everyone else is touching the glass.

OCD:  Organizing food in my pantry by bag, box, and can, height, size, and alphabetically.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
Peeve: Overcooked red meat.

OCD: To check two or three times that i took my medicine and that the all the right pills in there. I have three different types, and one is very little. So it can be missed and not be there.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Internet outrage.
I am just about sick of you! I've really had enough of your stupid posts! Why don't you just get off this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one wants you here anyway!!!!!!!! Rahhhhhhhhhhh!

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Peeve: People who say "lay" when they mean "lie", or "laid" when they mean "lay".

OCD: Following recipes to the letter.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
A vest showing underneath the front of tailcoats. It makes my brain itch like nothing else does.

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
A vest showing underneath the front of tailcoats. It makes my brain itch like nothing else does.
Both buttons buttoned on a jacket, or not unbuttoning when you sit down.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Pet peeve #49: when people don't post on oc.net enough each day

wainscottbl

Archon
Reaction score
wainscottbl said:
Peeve: Overcooked red meat.
On which note, I overcooked the leg of lamb. Not badly, but it was not pink. Still rather tender. $32 dollars....well, it happens. At least it was not bad. Still good, but so much flavor lost! Oh another pet peeve....washing things in the dish washer that should not be washed in the dish washer. My mom washed my instant read thermometer. That was a really good one, too. Got it at Williams-Sonoma. It's not too hard to cook a steak to rare/medium rare, but a leg of lamb or anything like that, it's harder.

Christina

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Peeve:  The server going down at work and holding the phone for half an hour for support only to be told they know...try again later.

OCD:  Making sure the door is really locked.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Justin Kissel said:
Pet peeve #49: when people don't post on oc.net enough each day
Sunday mornings, amirite?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Peeve: When someone answers a question with "So..."

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
My pet peeve: People demanding that they receive an apology when they've been wronged. An apology given merely to get someone else off my back or because someone coerced it out of me is no apology at all. Trust me and give me the chance to offer an apology freely. It will mean a lot more.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
PeterTheAleut said:
My pet peeve: People demanding that they receive an apology when they've been wronged. An apology given merely to get someone else off my back or because someone coerced it out of me is no apology at all. Trust me and give me the chance to offer an apology freely. It will mean a lot more.
+1

Selam

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
My pet peeve: Being referred to as cisgendered.

wut?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
TheTrisagion said:

wut?
It's the mentally ill attempting to insult the mentally healthy by calling them 'sane'. There are a lot of other examples of this particular phenomenon.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Cyrillic said:
TheTrisagion said:

wut?
It's the mentally ill attempting to insult the mentally healthy by calling them 'sane'. There are a lot of other examples of this particular phenomenon.
Ugh.

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
TheTrisagion said:

wut?
Plus in that instance they can't even be consistent. They say gender is a social construct, which means gender has no reality outside social convention, but then they try to claim that such and such got assigned the "wrong" gender at birth, as if it's possible to talk about right or wrong gender before socialization has had a chance to occur.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Peeve:  Group projects.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Peeve:  Self-hating [insert group of choice].  Self-hating Jews and Roman Catholics are the worst.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
When someone says "contrite" like it means the same thing as "trite."

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
When someone uses the apostrophe incorrectly to denote the plural.