• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

What do you guys make of this?

Kasatkin fan

High Elder
Reaction score
People should think a bit more before releasing a product that might offend, but asking for a government to apologize for the actions of a company is stupid.

Reaction score
I can understand why they are outraged.

Imagine if someone had put an icon of the Theotokos on a swimsuit, or any other holy icon of ours. This designer has taken a sacred image, and used it as a fashion item.

I can understand the people's disgust over a foreigner taking an image of their god and putting it on a swimsuit. I, too, get annoyed whenever sacred objects of any faith tradition are used for commercial purposes.

A few weeks ago I was in a Tea shop in the mall. They were selling Bhudda heads for $50 for "living room decor."

A Bhudda head is not a piece of art. It's a sacred object that belongs to one of the world's oldest religions. I get just as annoyed when I see icons sold at museum stores as pieces of "art." It isn't art. It's a devotional item.

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
HandmaidenofGod said:
I can understand why they are outraged.

Imagine if someone had put an icon of the Theotokos on a swimsuit, or any other holy icon of ours. This designer has taken a sacred image, and used it as a fashion item.

I can understand the people's disgust over a foreigner taking an image of their god and putting it on a swimsuit. I, too, get annoyed whenever sacred objects of any faith tradition are used for commercial purposes.

A few weeks ago I was in a Tea shop in the mall. They were selling Bhudda heads for $50 for "living room decor."

A Bhudda head is not a piece of art. It's a sacred object that belongs to one of the world's oldest religions. I get just as annoyed when I see icons sold at museum stores as pieces of "art." It isn't art. It's a devotional item.
I don't think a Buddha head is a sacred object, but I agree with the essence of what you're saying. :) Society these days has little or no reverence.

In Christ,
Andrew