• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What does everyone look like?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
RobS said:
^ looks like paradise to me. Whatcha doing in Ireland? Vacation?
Yeah, vacation. Counties Kerry and Cork are the most beautiful places I've been to, along with Sabah.

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Iconodule said:
In Ireland last week.
You bear an uncanny resemblance to my neighbor growing up.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Everyone there thought my wife was the Irish one. Meanwhile my Chinese family think I look Italian (they've never met an Italian in their lives, of course).

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Iconodule said:
Everyone there thought my wife was the Irish one. Meanwhile my Chinese family think I look Italian (they've never met an Italian in their lives, of course).
My brother, sister and her friend went on an unguided tour of Ireland last summer. Apparently mentioning when our people got bounced out of the country (the Republican rebellion of the 1790s) was still some kind of passport to free beer in the villages they wondered through in the Republic proper.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Agabus said:
Iconodule said:
My brother, sister and her friend went on an unguided tour of Ireland last summer. Apparently mentioning when our people got bounced out of the country (the Republican rebellion of the 1790s) was still some kind of passport to free beer in the Republic proper.
That's fantastic. My favorite rebel song ("Kelly the Boy from Killane") is from that particular era. Myself, I'm not sure when my ancestors came- it might have been the famine.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Antonious Nikolas said:
Mina's awesome!  I'd rather receive a warning from him than just about anyone else.  :)
THAT CAN BE ARRANGED! Qué grosero. Tengo advertencias, tengo las mejores advertencias!

How rude. I have warnings, I have the best warnings!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Porter ODoran said:
Very nice, Mina! May the child live many years.
+1
You look so cheerful.

Porter ODoran said:
Iconodule said:
In Ireland last week.
Wow, that's such a beautiful picture. Hope you enjoyed it!
+1

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
The best way to be sure there'll be no alcoholic temptation during a fast is to empty the stocks the day before.

Such tiny bottle for so many people? That's probably why I haven't noticed this picture earlier.

Some pics of me from Scotland that I visited 2 weeks ago:

With dedication for Mor:

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
The briefest second it looked like you were falling backwards from that cliff!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
RobS said:
The briefest second it looked like you were falling backwards from that cliff!
If so, I wouldn't have posted this picture. Anyway, during this trip to Glencoe I was praying a lot of Jesus Prayer and Transfiguration troparion (it was 5th August), it's not easy to find out why ;)

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Dominika said:
Such tiny bottle for so many people? That's probably why I haven't noticed this picture earlier.
We had a large bottle of Dreher too, but it's not such a classy drink, so we just took a picture with the grappa. Awesome pictures, by the way, Scotland is so beautiful!

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Wow! I doubt life gets much better than Dominika and Scotland.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
RaphaCam said:
We had a large bottle of Dreher too, but it's not such a classy drink, so we just took a picture with the grappa.
You've had it all wrong. True men are never ashamed of drinking. How bad the beverage might be it still contains alcohol. And by drinking all the available alcohol thousands around you will be saved.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
ZealousZeal said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Mina's awesome!  I'd rather receive a warning from him than just about anyone else.  :)
THAT CAN BE ARRANGED! Qué grosero. Tengo advertencias, tengo las mejores advertencias!

How rude. I have warnings, I have the best warnings!
Please bear in mind that I said "just about anyone", M'Lady.  Your Zealousness - may my abject groveling please thee - is most certainly covered by the exception!

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Alpo said:
RaphaCam said:
We had a large bottle of Dreher too, but it's not such a classy drink, so we just took a picture with the grappa.
You've had it all wrong. True men are never ashamed of drinking. How bad the beverage might be it still contains alcohol. And by drinking all the available alcohol thousands around you will be saved.
I'll remember your sound words the next time I'm drinking cachaça from a plastic bottle.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Porter ODoran said:
Wow! I doubt life gets much better than Dominika and Scotland.
:laugh:

Me during this year foot pilgrimage from Warsaw to the Holy Mount Grabarka:

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Dominika said:
I am surprised to see a Rus'ian cross together with Arabic text. Maybe you're even the first in the world to do that? Alexandria and Antioch seem to use a Byzantine cross, in my experience.
And I do love the fact that you wrote the Arabic with tashkil!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
I am surprised to see a Rus'ian cross together with Arabic text. Maybe you're even the first in the world to do that? Alexandria and Antioch seem to use a Byzantine cross, in my experience.
And I do love the fact that you wrote the Arabic with tashkil!
Well, I've been doing it for a few years, so it's not the first such cross in the world; you can find them on the Holy Mount Grabarka ;p If I'm first person.. I doubt ;p
Actually, it's Eastern Slavic cross, not (only) Russian one.

I wrote with tashkil as it's a text from Bible ;)

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Dominika said:
Well, I've been doing it for a few years, so it's not the first such cross in the world; you can find them on the Holy Mount Grabarka ;p If I'm first person.. I doubt ;p
Who knows?

Dominika said:
I did not write "Russian", but "Rus'ian", referring to the heritage of Holy Rus'.

Dominika said:
I have seen Bibles without tashkil.
What is really horrible though are liturgical books, which often are without.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
Who knows?
Yeah, who knows ;)

Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
I did not write "Russian", but "Rus'ian", referring to the heritage of Holy Rus'.
I couldn't read it; maybe it would be better to used "Rusyn"?... Anyway, Poland is not part of Holy Rus ;)

Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
I have seen Bibles without tashkil.
What is really horrible though are liturgical books, which often are without.
Yeah, it should be used at least in critical or not clear contexts, words.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Dominika said:
I couldn't read it; maybe it would be better to used "Rusyn"?... Anyway, Poland is not part of Holy Rus ;)
But the POC is in that tradition. It even is in the tradition of Orthodoxy in the Russian Empire, for example concerning the pronounciation of Church Slavonic.

Oh and on the map I found in Wikipedia, it does look like Polasie is part of Holy Rus ;-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus%27#/media/File:Kievan-rus-1015-1113-(en).png

Rusyn would be a great adjective to use. Unfortunately, in the English language, it is often used to mean Carpatho-Rusyn only.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
I've never met anyone who isn't a Rusyn who knows what a Rusyn is... in fact most people I've met of Rusyn background don't know they're Rusyns.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
But the POC is in that tradition.
Well, it's more complicated. Over centuries, until the "zabory" (occupation of Polish territories by Russian, Austria and Germany) Orthodox churches in the Polish territories had been more connected to the South Slavs, sometimes Greeks, earlier - to the Moravian mission. The unique (but, surely, important) ties with the Holy Rus were via Kiev.

Gorazd said:
It even is in the tradition of Orthodoxy in the Russian Empire, for example concerning the pronounciation of Church Slavonic.
What do you mean?

Gorazd said:
Oh and on the map I found in Wikipedia, it does look like Polasie is part of Holy Rus ;-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus%27#/media/File:Kievan-rus-1015-1113-(en).png
Most of Podlasie, plus the historical one (that's now not Podlasie) - yes. But actually it has been always a mixtures of Poles and Rusyns, so people of Podlasie have been talking a langauge being a mix, and until very recent times they felt connection only do the territory and the rite (Byzantine or Latin), not to the nation this or this or another one. Well, it was the case of other rural Polish territories, and it's proofed in the Wyspiański's play The wedding (Wesele) or Żeromski's novel Rozdzióbią nas kruki, wrony (Ravends and crows will pick us).

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Taken a few days ago:

https://i.imgur.com/ZpbwtOQ.jpg

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Dominika said:
Gorazd said:
It even is in the tradition of Orthodoxy in the Russian Empire, for example concerning the pronounciation of Church Slavonic.
What do you mean?
Originally, Church Slavonic has nasal sounds. Polish still has those, so Poles would be perfectly capable of pronouncing them. But they don't, the use the way it's pronounced in Russia instead.

It's interesting that Bulgarians pronounce Church Slavonic live Bulgarian, Serbs pronounce it like Serbian, Carpatho-Rusyns pronounce it like Carpatho-Rusyns, but in Poland and large parts of Ukraine (MP - notable exception I heard was in and around Chernivtsi), Russian pronounciation is used.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
Gorazd said:
What do you mean?
Originally, Church Slavonic has nasal sounds. Polish still has those, so Poles would be perfectly capable of pronouncing them. But they don't, the use the way it's pronounced in Russia instead.
Well, not really. The pronunciation of Church Slavonic in the Polish Church is not exactly the same as in the Russian Church (and I've heard we have pronuncaiiton that's closer to the original; Russians "russianise" Church Slavonic in pronuciation, sometimes even in words). There are some minor differences. Plus, at some parishes, mainly in South, Galician pronunciation is used instead of Polish-synodal one.

Gorazd said:
It's interesting that Bulgarians pronounce Church Slavonic live Bulgarian, Serbs pronounce it like Serbian, Carpatho-Rusyns pronounce it like Carpatho-Rusyns, but in Poland and large parts of Ukraine (MP - notable exception I heard was in and around Chernivtsi), Russian pronounciation is used.
See below - not exactly. Plus, it's because of the difficult history. Anyway, Serbian pronuciation was more different, I mean, it used to be more "Serbian", but more than one century ago actually Serbs also accepted synodal (new Russian - in comparison to old Russian, i. e. Old Believers) pronunciaiton, maintaing some own pecularities. It went along with introducing some Russian liturgical traditions; for some years now in Serbia there is quite a strong movement of re-Serbisation liturgics in the Serbian Church.

But it's a total off-top ;)

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Dominika said:
Gorazd said:
What do you mean?

What did you hear in Chernivtsi?

As Dominika alluded, the Serbs etc. actually pronounce the "Russian" (actually, it is Ukrainian, retaining voice in voiced final consonants, the "ge" as "g/he" etc.) with a Serb etc. accent, the Serbs etc. having abandoned the Serbian etc. recension.

Good to see you back!

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
ialmisry said:
What did you hear in Chernivtsi?
A clearly Ukrainian, or should I said Bukovyno-Rusyn, pronounciation of Church Slavonic. I am not sure how this refers to recensions, but it definitely was with he, okanie, and without Russian palatalisations.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
The mainstream Ukrainian pronounciation of Church Slavonic has hard g, akanye and palatalisation? That's funny, never listened enough to grasp it, I'll look into this.

I have very little idea of CS variations, but the first time I downloaded the DL in CS, it was a Ruthenian Catholic text on Latin alphabet, on one hand transliterating "g" to "h" and using okanye, on the other indicating a lot of palatalisation with apostrophes.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
RaphaCam said:
The mainstream Ukrainian pronounciation of Church Slavonic has hard g, akanye and palatalisation? That's funny, never listened enough to grasp it, I'll look into this.
Yes, because the mainstream pronounciation of Church Slavonic in the UOC-MP is simply the Russian pronounciation.
Non-canonical jurisdictions use Ukrainian rather than Church Slavonic.

So, still using Church Slavonic in a more local pronounciation seems limited to Bukovyna and (although I have not verified than myself), Zakarpattia. In Zakarpattia, even Greek Catholics use Church Slavonic rather than Ukrainian, probably as a way to show that they are directly under Rome, not under the UGCC.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Me today at the Brazilian Historic and Geographic Institute. Rather posting for the background: Sugarloaf Mountain, Atlantic Ocean and Glória marina. The place is extremely interesting, there are great relics of national history inside laid as decoration without any protection.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
No parrots? 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
He stole your camera and was nice to give you a parting shot.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Some pics of me in Romania

The first one represents my joy of this:
Dominika said:
I bought in Romania Micul Ceaslov ("Little Horologion"). This "little" contains: all morning and evening prayers; special prayers for every day of the week; prayer before a journey and prayers before and after the meal; midnight service (versions for weekday, Saturday and Sunday); Matins, all the hours, typika, vespers, compline; service of the psalms; Paschal Hours; Akathist to Jesus Christ, Akathist to the Theotokos, Akathist to the Protection of the Holy Theotokos, Akathist to st. Nicholas; 2 paraklesis to the Holy Theotokos, paraklesis of repentance to Jesus Christ, paraklesis to the Angel Guardian, paraklesis to the all Saints; prayeres before the confession; prayers before and after the Holy Eucharist; general troparions and kontakions to the saints; sinaxar for the whole year (in reality, there are written of the commemorated saints of every day of the year plus troparions and kontakions to them); troparions and kontakions for the days of the week.

And it costed 3,5$.

The rest is: I'm waiting for a husband ;p

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Dominika said:
The rest is: I'm waiting for a husband ;p
I'm sure many candidates are looking carefully at these photos as we speak, earnestly desiring to be globally moderated.