• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

What does everyone look like?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
The rest is: I'm waiting for a husband ;p
I'm sure many candidates are looking carefully at these photos as we speak, earnestly desiring to be globally moderated. 
:-*

augustin717 said:
Is that Sibiu?
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to go there. I visited Cluj Napoca, Floresti, Brasov, Rasnov, Bran, Sinaia, Prejmer, Bucharest, Constanta (still, not so bad, as we - mum and me - were travelling by local public transport).. The pictures posted there are from Brasov, Bran, Bucharest and Constanta.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Ooops, I've forgotten about Churchy picture from Stavropoleos:

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
How's the beer in Romania?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
You ve seen more of Romania than I have.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
hecma925 said:
I tried 6 (if I remember correctly) types - all of them were very good. But I'm not so sphisticated as it goes for beers - I've always prefered wine.

augustin717 said:
You ve seen more of Romania than I have.
Probably many foreign tourists could say that about Poland and/or Serbia in comparison with ime ;)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
What did you do there? Romania is not too far from Finland and I've sometimes thought of paying a visit.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Alpo said:
What did you do there? Romania is not too far from Finland and I've sometimes thought of paying a visit.
funny I've been looking at tickets to Helsinki. But I guess fall is t the best season.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
augustin717 said:
Alpo said:
funny I've been looking at tickets to Helsinki. But I guess fall is t the best season.
It's been somewhat cold and rainy lately so I'd recommend spring and summer more.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Alpo said:
augustin717 said:
Alpo said:
It's been somewhat cold and rainy lately so I'd recommend spring and summer more.
thought so. I'm going to Romania instead. With a modicum of luck it's gonna be warm and sunny there.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
augustin717 said:
Alpo said:
augustin717 said:
Alpo said:
thought so. I'm going to Romania instead.
Hopefully you will hear the latest best of ancient wisdom of Nazi Elders and Gypsy magic while you are there and keep illuminating us with those.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Alpo said:
augustin717 said:
Alpo said:
augustin717 said:
Alpo said:
thought so. I'm going to Romania instead.
Hopefully you will hear the latest best of ancient wisdom of Nazi Elders and Gypsy magic while you are there and keep illuminating us with those.
I'll have to use this phrase from now on "Nazi Elders".

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Dominika said:
hecma925 said:
I tried 6 (if I remember correctly) types - all of them were very good. But I'm not so sphisticated as it goes for beers - I've always prefered wine.
I enjoy both, but wine is usually more interesting.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
hecma925 said:
Then you haven't tasted proper kind of beer. The myriad of tastes one can find from different kinds of beer is actually larger than in wine.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
hecma925 said:
Then you haven't tasted proper kind of beer. The myriad of tastes one can find from different kinds of beer is actually larger than in wine.
*Inhale through clenched teeth*

I agree with you, but the number of differences that one can find in tastes and aroma aren't much.  With beer, water is the defining factor, which is why Guinness brewed in Dublin will not taste the same with water from New York even if all the other ingredients are exactly the same.  Or sometimes, if a brewer is quite the scientist, he can create the same mineral content in water to create an equal brew from somewhere else.  Beer can be brewed every single day.

Wine, otoh, is always affected by time, place, and weather.  Sure, you have large companies whose goal is to make a similar product year in and year out (which is the goal for brewers - consistency), but an interesting year for any given wine is better than even the most difficult to find or unique beers.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
hecma925 said:
Alpo said:
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
hecma925 said:
*Inhale through clenched teeth*

I agree with you, but the number of differences that one can find in tastes and aroma aren't much.  With beer, water is the defining factor.
As is malts, yeasts and hops and the time since the beer was brewed. You can't fully replicate, say, German lager with 100% Finnish ingredients because the ingredients aren't exactly the same to their Bavarian counterparts.

As for variety of tastes, compare for example stouts, sours and trappists side by side and you wouldn't think that they all consist of warer, yeast, hops and malts.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I agree with you.  Taste is subjective, that's why I wrote that i find wine "usually" more interesting.  I can't tell you how many times beer tasted like "beer" or wine tasted like "wine" because they were unremarkable, regardless of style or provenance. 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpo said:
Visiting monasteries and churches (and praying in them), visiting castles, musuems, walking in the streets, swimming, eating in local restaurants... I would say, normal things ;) Above 190 km by foot and above 1600 km by local public transport during these 16 days.

Alpo said:
Nazi Elders?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Have you closed your window at night? Romanians may still have vampire issues.
"May"?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Dominika said:
Alpo said:
Visiting monasteries and churches (and praying in them), visiting castles, musuems, walking in the streets, swimming, eating in local restaurants... I would say, normal things ;) Above 190 km by foot and above 1600 km by local public transport during these 16 days.
Nice.

Alpo said:
Nazi Elders?
Somewhere in the augustin's Romanian lore there are Holy Elders singing Romanian Iron Guard hymns.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Alpo said:
Somewhere in the augustin's Romanian lore there are Holy Elders singing Romanian Iron Guard hymns.
Well, that's actually in the famous compilation by the Brothers Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjkEtCzp-Y

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Iconodule said:
Alpo said:
Well, that's actually in the famous compilation by the Brothers Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjkEtCzp-Y
Axios!

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
UOCC
My fiance and I are on the right. The priests in the middle and on the left are our parish priests, and second from the left is Archbishop Gabriel of Montreal and Canada.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
^^Wow, so great company! :) All of you looks nice and cheerful.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
^crossing arms in a church-setting looks instantly Old-Believer-ish. Wish they had right-glorifying beards too.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
RaphaCam said:
Myself and, at my right, my godson Teodoro just after his chrismation by Fr. Roman. I'm not short at all, the guy is almost 2 meter tall (6'6'' in barbarian).

Great! :)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
My son and his friend and I went to say prayers at the cemetery today.
Very commendable. Sometimes prayer for the dead seems somewhat unemphasized amongst convertodoxy. Silly White people have forgotten about death.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Death never forgets.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Dominika said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
I'm sure many candidates are looking carefully at these photos as we speak, earnestly desiring to be globally moderated. 
I have to confess to always having a slight crush on Dominika; predating both these pics and her promotion to the upper echelons of the OCNet moderation team.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
I have to confess to always having a slight crush on Dominika; predating both these pics and her promotion to the upper echelons of the OCNet moderation team.
:-[ I'm amazed!

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
Well, I guess I just like the way you write and what you have to say; it is indicative of a loving and  pious nature.  :)

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
Dominika said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
Well, I guess I just like the way you write and what you have to say; it is indicative of a loving and  pious nature.  :)
So nice words, thank you! Anyway, if I'm of pious nature, I have to struggle with my pride ;)